Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here

Go down 
+10
qkdo
Triangle
NDJollyMon
flowers
brenandjerry
JP2001
Greta
JJ2sail
Allgeeteredup
Admin
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 07, 2009 11:26 pm

What is also an eye-opener is what is really a serving size. Especially of ice cream.

I like making smoothies with frozen fruit. They stay thicker that way.

We all just have to remember to take it one day at a time and if we stray one day we do better the next.

I think we also need to start a thread on here and/or on SP for our favorite recipes that help us. I know I have a few from doing WW so many different times.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com

PostSubject: Nick you are too funny with the munchkins - I was even worse   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 am

[quote="flowers"]
Nick Needs To Know wrote:
Well I just discovered one HUGE thing I've been doing wrong all of these years.
Dunkin' Doughnut Munchkins... Wait until you see the calorie count on these things:

Cinnamon Cake Munchkin - 60 calories for 1 Munchkin
Glazed Cake Munchkin - 60 calories for 1 Munchkin
Jelly Filled Munchkin - - 60 calories for 1 Munchkin

I eat like 20 of these things in one sitting! Talk about eye opening! Shocked I'm better off with eating just a regular doughnut. Who knew...

I used to do this with DIET DOUGHNUTS. Back when Entenmann's was making NO Fat everything this and that - I would treat myself on Sundays and eat a half dozen while reading the Sunday San Francisco Chronicle top to bottom. I don't know how I could think the calories didn't add up the same if it was labelled NO FAT - Twisted Evil

Lots of us learned that it does all add up. And you see very few DIET Twinkies and Doughnuts on the shelves anymore. Ah well - the fantasy was good for a while - but the end result is in the photos and mirrors!

I am so glad Tina turned us on to this site as I didn't know about it. And I too am surprised that I am not getting enough protein and surprised I have carbs and calories left over. Then again I have yet to leave the house in this wintry mix. Once I am back in a restaurant, let alone a cruise ship dining room - that is when I will need help and hope I have learned about portion control and nutrition by then so I can make a life long adjustment.
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:29 am

mnmomof4 wrote:
Triangle..I dont remember seeing you on spark people. Are you using a different name on there?

I am using gwodog on spark.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:28 pm

AlohaTad wrote:
I used to do this with DIET DOUGHNUTS. Back when Entenmann's was making NO Fat everything this and that - I would treat myself on Sundays and eat a half dozen while reading the Sunday San Francisco Chronicle top to bottom. I don't know how I could think the calories didn't add up the same if it was labelled NO FAT - Twisted Evil

I find for myself that sugar is the enemy, not fat. I have insulin spikes and prediabetes. It means I gain weight extra extra fast, but I also can lose faster than others if I avoid sugar. I was the top loser on a private Nutrisystem board two different months, among men and women and many of the women outweighed me by over 100 lbs.

My secret as I say is protein. I bake a pound and a half or so of salmon and nibble on it whenever Im hungry and dont count calories. I always drop about 2 - 3 lbs if I do this for a day. Doesn't matter how much I eat, as long as I just eat the salmon for a day. Maybe a regular breakfast, eggs and turkey bacon for extra protein, then a day of salmon. I like salmon better than protein shakes to be honest.

That being said, if I was in any danger of winning, I was going to withdraw my name from the grand prize. I have a cruise booked thru Sky Auction, which is totally nonrefundable and leaves on Dec 3rd 2009. (Thats why I booked Oasis for the Halloween date instead). So, Tina if I am in any danger of winning, I'm saying ahead of time, I will forfeit the prize. Im losing just for the sake of losing. Sky Auction TAs are difficult to work with, so I wouldn't even want to try the $50 pp name change and give the other cruise away. So, Im bowing out of the grand prize, but I'll give everyone else some competition you can bet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:52 pm

Hey guys, I have a question. Does anyone know the REAL calorie count for microwave popcorn. The labeling is very confusing, at least to me and, seems like they try to make appear lighter than it really is and, this is one of my other "must have" daily snacks. I know I could do a mini bag but, then I'd end up eating three or four of them. I'd rather know that I should limit myself to a bag once per week rather than switch to the mini bag solution.
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 12:56 pm

I have always thought that the normal human body is amazingly efficient and adaptable given limited tasking. I feel that if you could stand the boredom, that you could effectively diet, with ANY single food, regardless of calorie intake. (You would of course need your minerals/vitamins also) For example, if you ate nothing but chocolate cake, drank only milk and water, after a short period your body would become very good at processing that intake and you would lose weight.

I am too addicted to diversity and variety of foods, so I am stuck with the modern method of limiting intake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 pm

nick - i ate a whole bag (snack size albeit) of popcorn last night in my sleep. i even melted butter for it. found the empty bag this morning on the counter.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:06 pm

i have a problem every couple days where my sugar drops down to the 40's for no apparent reason and i have to 'sugar load' in a hurry. i have passed out. good thing i get a 5 minute warning that it's going to happen. before i knew what it was i would get so disoriented that i wouldn't even recognize where i was. i was in my driveway one night and so confused my husband came out and asked why i was sitting in my car for 5 minutes. i was like where am i? he must have thought i had a screw loose. so when i sugar load it screws up my calories for the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:10 pm

Pat, please don't take this the wrong way but, I find your sleep eating disorder fascinating. I know it's similar to sleep walking but, wow, even melting butter, I'm actually worried for you - in that state of mind, you wouldn't know if you left the stove on and, God forbid something happened. I hope you're married or have someone living with you to help protect you.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Nick Needs To Know wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question. Does anyone know the REAL calorie count for microwave popcorn. The labeling is very confusing, at least to me and, seems like they try to make appear lighter than it really is and, this is one of my other "must have" daily snacks. I know I could do a mini bag but, then I'd end up eating three or four of them. I'd rather know that I should limit myself to a bag once per week rather than switch to the mini bag solution.

I don't know which brand you are looking at, but look at the servings and the calories and then multiple the calories by the servings. Orville Redenbacker has a good light popcorn. If you do air popped, you can have a lot more popcorn, it has nothing added to it.

Another good suggestion for hungys between meals for many is hotdogs. Im very picky, the only brand I will eat is Hebrew National and then I fry them in pam (not oil). The 97% fat free has 45 calories each, so if you are doing the 100 calorie, 2 snacks a day. You can have two of these hot dogs fryed in pam for a snack...or add some Laughing Cow lite cheese. 1 oz has only 35 calories. Laughing cow lite cheese is the lightest cheese out there, but lite string cheese comes in second. Both snacks should have some protein to build muscle to lose faster. I also keep some low fat ham on hand and grab a couple of thin slices when I need something in between meals.

Another snack I like is to microwave turkey pepperoni. You can have like 23 of the smaller pepperoni's. Put them on a couple of napkins in the microwave. Protein will stay with you longer. I can't do yogurt or cottage cheese. Yogurt is the food that has the lowest g.i. value, but I dont eat either. (has to be artificially sweetened yogurt though). If you stay away from sugar and flour you will lose some serious weight.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 1:14 pm

Thanks Jane, great suggestions, and, I do like hot dogs and, I'm with you, Hebrew National are my dog of choice! Haven't tried the 97% fat free yet, I see those words and I get worried about taste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:01 pm

Flowers (sorry I dont know your name)...what protein shakes are you drinking in the morning? I am lacking in protein..and I dont like seafood. You were refering to low gi foods...what is gi? Any suggestions for foods high in protein? I had no idea I ate so many carbs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 2:09 pm

nick - i am married and my husband hides my car keys and we have big sleigh bells on the door. it is funny since i'm a 52 year old woman. i freely admit i am addicted to sleeping pills. i once tried to stop and i was up for over 3 days with only a few 20 minute naps. i have such awful dreams i choose not to dream so i take sleeping pills. probably something i should see a psychiatrist for and not a doctor for pills. i guess i'm nuts. whatever, i get up in my sleep and can peel oranges, cook stuff. i know i won't leave the oven on because i'm no suzie homemaker. the microwave is about all i can manage.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:30 pm

Guys can you PM me if there is someone that is annoying you over on SparkPeople?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 7:44 pm

Nick, PM me, I saw your post over there...
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 8:55 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Flowers (sorry I dont know your name)...what protein shakes are you drinking in the morning? I am lacking in protein..and I dont like seafood. You were refering to low gi foods...what is gi? Any suggestions for foods high in protein? I had no idea I ate so many carbs

I'm Jane. I actually don't usually drink a protein drink in the morning, except it was leaking yesterday morning. I do it at lunch. There are powders, look for one that is very high in protein for the serving size (they do vary). Muscle milk is a favorite brand. You can buy protein shots, if you want to just gulp down your protein, lots of variety. You can buy muscle milk already mixed in your grocery store, or the powder which is cheaper. If you just want to lose 20 lbs, then cutting calories works, but to lose big, you need protein, at least I did. I tried lots of others, and this works for me. Southbeach was the first low g.i. diet that took off.

Low g.i. dieting, g.i. refers to gycemic index. You want foods with lower g.i. ratings. Sugar is 100, its how long it takes to digest a food basically. Good fruits are berries and stone fruits for instance. I did the 3 meals, 2 snacks and one dessert plus one fat a day plan. snacks must be a certain level of protein. Here is a page that came up randomly with some guidelines for rice and other foods to explain how to follow the guidelines. Foods are red, yellow and green. Red foods should be avoided.

http://www.gilisting.com/easy-gi-diet/2006/07/low-gi-diet-plan.html
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 9:05 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Flowers (sorry I dont know your name)...what protein shakes are you drinking in the morning?

PS I was grocery shopping this morning and bought some high protein special K, with 10 grams of protein per serving. There is also special K water with protein added you can drink a bottle of during the day.

I look for cereal that is whole grain with flax, but I also buy bulk flax I grind up over my cereal in the morning. Iv already lost over 60 lbs this time, since late June, so I know it works long term to add protein. Us women have a hard time getting in our protein, but Im trying.

I'v never seen the high protein special K cereral before today though. Free milk if I bought 3 boxes, so how could I say no.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 pm

Thanks for the advice Jane...I need to find protein stuff...I'm finding I have been a carb junkie...so to speak. Congratulations on all the weight you have lost!
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:13 am

We are snowed in today in Raleigh (3" and still coming down heavy), I doubt I can get to the gym for my exercise. Maybe I can shovel snow for exercise, anybody know how I do it?
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 1:39 pm

I do...free lessons up here! Very Happy
My back is sore...but not from shoveling snow. I made my son do it for me this morning....
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Single Dad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Single Dad

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 3:33 pm

Hey guys, I need a little help this week. I have a bad, bad cold, any suggestions for dieting while sick?
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 4:00 pm

Liquids are the best bet. You can make veggie soup fairly easily. I use boullion cubes, canned tomatoes, frozen veggies and lots of onions and garlic. You could use canned broth or homemaed broth if you have it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 2:46 am

chicken soup - the Campbells chicken noodle soups are so low in Calories that you can have gallons and still meet your goal!

Get well - I am sneezing less but still feeling it - Blah humbug!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 3:55 am

So this is where you are at. I didn't notice this thread before.

I've been with you at SparkPeople but really only posted a few times because I keep losing where to go to post and have little time it seems to explore a new sight when I'm on line.

So I just kept entering what I needed to and plugging away at this diet. I wonder if I will ever learn. I have been on weight watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Atkins. ANYOTHERS? Atkins really is best for me. We will see how good I'll do. I'm glad I'm not in it alone!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:20 pm

Sparkpeople takes some practice getting around. I was trying to teach my wife how to get around...and I was getting lost myself. It could be more 'user friendly' that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next