Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Empty
PostSubject: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:16 am

This thread is dedicated to our Sparkpeople.com weight loss challenge. Please feel free to use this thread to offer each other support and to discuss dieting in general.
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:19 am

Hi everyone! Today is the first day of the challenge....I'm up for it....The hardest part is fitting in good eating while running the kids to and from activities. I'm going to do cardio tonight while DH takes the youngest boy to swim lessons!! I am hoping to do well eating until my cruise which is in less than 2 weeks...then I will hit the gym everyday on the ship...so I shouldnt gain anything.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:24 am

You can tell it's Monday, I forgot to include the link to our Sparkpeople.com page! lol!

Here it is: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/groups_individual.asp?gid=26543
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:31 am

Week One, January 5, 2009 - My entry to all our SparkPeople.com members: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=0x26543x21484672
Back to top Go down
Allgeeteredup
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Allgeeteredup

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Help me!!!!! Illiterate with computer stuff!!!!!!!   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 12:04 pm

I am so illiterate when it comes to computer stuff. How do I post my photo and how do I post.... period? New to cruise freeks and new to Sparks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 12:16 pm

Welcome!

HEre is the link if you want to post an introduction about yourself...all you have to do is click reply

http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/team_messageboard_thread.asp?board=-1x26543x19243945

It doesnt seem to be the easiest to navigate. If you havent already done so, you need to go to "My tools" which is on the top left of the page and enter in your fitness and nutrition for the day. We have to keep track of that for the contest, along with weight.

ASk away any questions and maybe someone will be able to answer them
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 12:40 pm

To upload your picture to Spark People, you need to click on "Create my own spark page" or something to that effect. It will allow you to upload a picture there. And that will be your avatar pic.

I am trying to navigate spark people and it is confusing.

But I am in Very Happy

Penny, you and I are in the same boat, so to speak. I will be on a cruise too in a few weeks. I usually don't gain on a cruise. I don't lose, but I won't gain either....hopefully.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 12:53 pm

i tried to put in what i ate so far and i think i got that but i think it's hard to navigate. oh well, once we get used to it it will be like anything else.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 1:45 pm

hey after entering what i ate for breakfast and what i am going to eat for lunch there's not much left for dinner. when you see the actual numbers you are like i don't have room for piece of candy which is my downfall. actually my real downfall is that i take sleeping pills and i 'sleep eat'. i get up in the middle of the night and eat whatever i can get my hands on. there is always a pile of orange peels or something in the kitchen the next morning. i am going to have to put a lock on the cabinets. like that movie fatso with dom deluise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:44 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
To upload your picture to Spark People, you need to click on "Create my own spark page" or something to that effect. It will allow you to upload a picture there. And that will be your avatar pic.

I am trying to navigate spark people and it is confusing.

But I am in Very Happy

Penny, you and I are in the same boat, so to speak. I will be on a cruise too in a few weeks. I usually don't gain on a cruise. I don't lose, but I won't gain either....hopefully.

Michele, I can't resist all the food on the cruise...but I usually get up at 6:30 or whenever it opens to work out. I also have spring break florida trip planned with the kids.

We do have 6 months after all...I doubt if I will lose enough weight to win the cruise...I'm aiming for OBC
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:46 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
hey after entering what i ate for breakfast and what i am going to eat for lunch there's not much left for dinner. when you see the actual numbers you are like i don't have room for piece of candy which is my downfall. actually my real downfall is that i take sleeping pills and i 'sleep eat'. i get up in the middle of the night and eat whatever i can get my hands on. there is always a pile of orange peels or something in the kitchen the next morning. i am going to have to put a lock on the cabinets. like that movie fatso with dom deluise.

No one said it would be easy... I hate dieting. Michele had already lost 6 lbs in a way....I only wish I could do that. We can just each other out to lose weight...too bad we wont be on the same ship together...then we could go to the gym together. It's always more fun to have a workout partner
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 3:43 pm

Michele,

You seem to have lot of cruises planned while the kids are in school? How much time off do your girls miss a school year? When my older boys were in elementary school, I would take them out at least a week from school...then go away on their school breaks. I am lucky my younger kids arent in school so I am free to travel since I usually get my mother to babysit the older boys. I dont want the older boys to miss much school...really hard to get caught up and I dont want them to lose their A's. I know the "taking kids out of school" is a can of worms on some sites...I was just curious about your kids since I can tell you travel a lot.
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Hi everyone! I am in this with all of you too! I had actually lost about 10 lbs before Christmas, but then went on a cruise the week before Christmas and it's been down hill ever since, so it will be great having the support to get back on track!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 3:50 pm

Jen,

Any tips you can give me to avoid gaining weight on my cruise on the 17th? I dont want to lose while on the ship...just dont want to gain more than a pound or 2
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 4:31 pm

Well, I wasn't to good this last trip, but things that have worked in the past are:

1. Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
2. Pass up the bread and butter.
3. Drink lots of water.
4. Try to avoid sauces and dressings that may have lots of fat and salt.

Anyone else have some good tips!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 4:46 pm

I have to get my fat butt over there and join you guys. I haven't signed in since I joined.
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi all, I'm in too! I'm excited about this for two reasons. One it is free and the other is we are doing this together! Much much easier when you can share ideas and help others. We just have to remember that the first week is tough as our bodies are readjusting to eating less. Drink water and try not to drink even sugar free sodas. The sweet sensation just leaves you wanting more.

I was just at my Drs. last Tuesday and go back in a month. Can't wait to show her that I actually lost weight this time. (I'm that determined.)

Good luck to all.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Hi everyone, I'm so glad you like this idea! And, since it was brought to my attention that it would be more fair to have the contest based on percentage of weight lost, instead of actual pounds, we're going to go with that instead. I'll get that change up over on Sparkpeople.com as soon as I can Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JP2001

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-05-19

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:40 pm

I'm up for the Challenge (I was already a SparkPeople Member and I'm very happy about the Cruise Freek Team)

Here are my suggestions to avoid gaining too much weight, in order of importance for me:

- ALWAYS Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Choose the healthy options on the menu at least 75% of the time (on NCL and Cunard, those offerings are excellent)
- Drink lots of water (water intake is important and you won't be drinking other stuff while you are sipping your water)
- Choose active shore excursions instead of city tours by bus
- Drink moderately and the healthier drinks (not too many foofoo drinks, red wine, gin with diet tonic or rum & diet coke are OK)
- Go to the gym, take a fitness class or do laps every sea day.
- Pass up the bread and butter
- Avoid sauces and dressings or have just a little.

I must admit that I always eat too much desserts on a cruise (1 or 2 per day) but I will choose the healthier options about 50% of the time. I don't know if I really want to change that, I think eating lots of desserts make me feel like I'm on vacation. I probably have to work on that but not right now, I'll decide that when my next cruise date comes closer because I already have lots of work to do to lose 10lbs (hopefully 6lbs before my 30th birthday on Feb. 19 and the rest before the summer).

I have only 10lbs to lose but I really, really want to get in shape (I used to be in the army and after that I worked out 4-6 times a week for about 2 years but I didn't do much excercise in the last 3 years and I want to have a healthy life style, I think it's important.

Also, I think it's a good thing the change the contest for the biggest % lost (not that I think I can win because there is no way I can lose more than 10-12% - Maybe the certificates could go with the % lost too???). Another option would have been a drawing for those who reach their goal but it's OK, I think the biggest % lost is quite fair for most people. It would be nice if you could get certificates from NCL too (I have a cruise booked with them and it's the line I sail the most often with).
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:43 pm

JP2001 wrote:
I'm up for the Challenge (I was already a SparkPeople Member and I'm very happy about the Cruise Freek Team)

Here are my suggestions to avoid gaining too much weight, in order of importance for me:

- ALWAYS Take the stairs instead of the elevator.
- Choose the healthy options on the menu at least 75% of the time (on NCL and Cunard, those offerings are excellent)
- Drink lots of water (water intake is important and you won't be drinking other stuff while you are sipping your water)
- Choose active shore excursions instead of city tours by bus
- Drink moderately and the healthier drinks (not too many foofoo drinks, red wine, gin with diet tonic or rum & diet coke are OK)
- Go to the gym, take a fitness class or do laps every sea day.
- Pass up the bread and butter
- Avoid sauces and dressings or have just a little.

I must admit that I always eat too much desserts on a cruise (1 or 2 per day) but I will choose the healthier options about 50% of the time. I don't know if I really want to change that, I think eating lots of desserts make me feel like I'm on vacation. I probably have to work on that but not right now, I'll decide that when my next cruise date comes closer because I already have lots of work to do to lose 10lbs (hopefully 6lbs before my 30th birthday on Feb. 19 and the rest before the summer).

I have only 10lbs to lose but I really, really want to get in shape (I used to be in the army and after that I worked out 4-6 times a week for about 2 years but I didn't do much excercise in the last 3 years and I want to have a healthy life style, I think it's important.

Also, I think it's a good thing the change the contest for the biggest % lost (not that I think I can win because there is no way I can lose more than 10-12% - Maybe the certificates could go with the % lost too???). Another option would have been a drawing for those who reach their goal but it's OK, I think the biggest % lost is quite fair for most people. It would be nice if you could get certificates from NCL too (I have a cruise booked with them and it's the line I sail the most often with).

That's a great idea, yes, we'll change it all over to percentage loss and yes, we'll include NCL as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:57 pm

Tina...great idea about % instead of lbs....kinda like the biggest looser.

Thanks for the advice JP....easier said than done...tend to over indulge on cruises.

JP...when is the winter carnival....I was there years and years ago to the carnival..it's beautiful. I'm from your neighboring province to the west
Back to top Go down
JP2001

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 6:28 pm

Admin wrote:

That's a great idea, yes, we'll change it all over to percentage loss and yes, we'll include NCL as well.

Wow, that is quick and very nice of you!!! Thanks!!!
Back to top Go down
JP2001

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 6:49 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Tina...great idea about % instead of lbs....kinda like the biggest looser.

Thanks for the advice JP....easier said than done...tend to over indulge on cruises.

JP...when is the winter carnival....I was there years and years ago to the carnival..it's beautiful. I'm from your neighboring province to the west

The Carnaval, this year, is from January 30th to February 15th. I don't go to the parades anymore but I usually go for a walk where the activities are, it's a good way to enjoy the outdoor during winter. I like the Carnaval even more than years ago, more family friendly and lots of bars on Grande Allée open their patio, lots of ice sculpture. Will you come to Quebec for the Carnaval? I must admit that I haven't visited Ontario very much. Only 1 day in Ottawa, a train ride accross Canada during which I have seen a bit of Toronto and Northern Ontario. Two places I really want to see in Ontario in the next couple of years are Niagara Region and Thunder Bay (and go again to Ottawa, I liked it a lot). It would be a nice trip with our RV, maybe next summer.

I don't know why but I find it easier to eat well and to excercise when on a cruise. In fact, I think I like a good workout and it's easier when I have time for it (here, I sometimes find it hard to get up early in the morning to go to the gym but on a ship I can go at whatever time that suits my schedule). Also, there are so many good healthy food to eat, I don't feel deprived in any way. As I said, I have trouble saying no to dessert though but since I workout, take the stairs, etc. and that I am on vacation, i don't worry too much about it. I also drink more than on land but it's usually 1-3 drinks a day so I think it's not a real problem while on vacation.

I think every person has to make her own list of things she wants to do to stay in shape during the vacation. This one was mine but for some people, it's only 2-3 things they are willing to do. It's fine, as long as you make an effort (without spoiling the vacation feel, that's important too). If you haven't tried the healthy options from the Dining Room menu, you should try it, sometimes it's even better than the regular fare and guilt free!.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 7:57 pm

I just joined the team, and I am looking forward to seeing everyone's after pictures on June 1, 2009. I got my picture on my spark page, but I'm not sure how to get it to show up in the posts. I'm always on planes for work, and I need to make sure to stay away from the junk food on the planes. It was a lot simpler when you could bring food into the airport for your snacks.
For me this challenge will be about cutting out the junk like chips and cookies. I'm fairly active, so it is just readjusting the mind set, and eating something before I board the flight that has some nutritional value. Good luck to everyone,
kk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:33 pm

well i was really good today but it's anyones guess what will happen after i take some sleeping pills.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: