Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 12:41 am

Nick Needs To Know wrote:
Hey guys, I have a question. Does anyone know the REAL calorie count for microwave popcorn. The labeling is very confusing, at least to me and, seems like they try to make appear lighter than it really is and, this is one of my other "must have" daily snacks. I know I could do a mini bag but, then I'd end up eating three or four of them. I'd rather know that I should limit myself to a bag once per week rather than switch to the mini bag solution.

I just searched the SparkPeople boards cuz I am so confused bout these labels. And now that I have NOT lost a pound in the last two weeks, I am looking to try and see if I am undercounting on my counts or what -

and found this AWESOME link to all the info on popcorn - including some of the big Movie chains' popcorn - http://www.dwlz.com/WWinfo/wwPoints8.html

hope it helps!! I did turn out to be underreporting on microwave popcorn - so now it is the popcorn's fault!!
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 03, 2009 10:13 am

Hang in there, Tad!
I would blame the popcorn, too!! I mean really - why give nutrition info on the UNPOPPED kernels????? Who eats THOSE??? duh.

I haven't been losing lately, either - in fact a couple of thos lbs I lost found me again! I HATE when that happens! However, I haven't been filling in my nutrition charts for past 2 weeks - so I know that's my problem!
Back at it this week, tho. (sure helps when work is slow and I can grab a few minutes to get on here from work)

This will be a better week. Very Happy

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 S-event
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:16 pm

Hi everyone!

There hasnt been activity here and I thought I'd see if everyone is still hanging in there. It's hard but it will be worth it!
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:23 pm

I'm just holding my own, haven't lost in the last two weeks, very frustrated!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:24 pm

I have lost....making up for the time I was on my cruise but I have had trouble finding time to work out.
Back to top Go down
Infi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 4:41 pm

Are there any challenges currently on SP from CruiseFreeks, or is it just the January one?
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Feb 10, 2009 10:52 pm

I am still at it hard and still losing. I do wish we had more posting on the SP site. It really helps me keep at it to see others posting and keeping at it.

Triangle Cruises
rogers@trianglecruises.com
800-784-4495
www.trianglecruises.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 3:13 pm

Ric..you are doing awesome loosing weight. What's your secret? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:16 pm

I've been taking a sabbatical on working real hard on the weight loss. Sad

Because I am also working on quitting smoking! I tried, but cannot concentrate on 2-3 major life changes at the same time. I always said once I lose a ton of weight, then I'll work on the smoking. This time I decided to change it up. Somehting has to work sometime / somehow!

I will begin working harder on the weight loss / exercising more next week.

Am I completely smoke free? No, not yet...but I am WELL on my way! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:46 pm

Pamela,

It looks like you were on your way and lost some weight. I can only imagine trying to do both those at once. I'm sure you can do well at both once you put your mind to it. Think how much more healthy you will be! Smile
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks, PennY!

I'm working on it.
Yes, I did lose a little...then tried to quit smoking cold turkey and ended up gaining.
Then I got frustrated and did nothing for a couple of weeks..
Now, I'm starting it all over again!

Oh, the trials & tribulations we put ourselves through! lol

Can't ever do anything the easy way.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 4:52 pm

This weight loss thing is not easy. It's easy to just stop. I got too busy and went about a month without my body pump class...but still doing my cardio. Then I went back tuesday and I must have pulled some back muscles or something...I actually had to use bengay and couldnt go to my class today. Always something gets in the way of exercising and there is way too much food temptation out there.
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:25 pm

Hopefully you all won't be upset with me putting in a couple cents even though I'm not part of the challenge.

I currently am down 45 lbs in the last 6 months.

I used a lot of "lose fast" diets and it always came back just as fast. I did a TON of research online with different diets and exercise ideas and what's healthy and ... well everything.

The first month you can expect to lose a LARGE chunk of weight if you start doing what you need. This is mainly due to water weight, most of us have a huge amount of excess water weight, and you lose this fast in the first month or so. After that you can safely lose a couple pounds a week by just using normal deals.

My successful tips:

#1 Be realistic.. if you're all excited about losing weight and getting in shape and being "sexy" then I could tell you that you need to work out for 1-2 hours 5 days a week.... and there's a good chance if you're motivated enough you'll do it.... for a month. Then after that you'll crash. Reality is most of us are not in shape, and putting ourselves through GRUELING work outs day after day will show some fast results, but will burn you out.

My suggestion, start small. If you aren't doing any workout at all, start with a simple 1/2 hour workout a week!! (YES one a week) This isn't even a do or die all out sweat fest. This is a walk through the neighborhood even.. use it to get your family out with you or loved one, or even just a little time alone. After you get to walking around for a 1/2 hour doesn't bother you anymore do 1/2 hour twice a week... or even 1 hour twice a week. The better shape your body gets into the easier it takes the more stressful exercise. By the time you're done you could be working out 5 days a week anyway, but you'll feel better and you're body will be conditioned.

#2 I'm sure most of you know it, but eat often!!! Your body is meant to be fed every 3-4 hours! This is the hardest thing for me because I have a high paced stressful job, and it's hard to stop and eat a little something. But I'm managing, and it's the best thing I've done. If your body is not fed for 4 hours it automatically goes into starvation mode. It thinks "I haven't eaten for 4 hours, I'm stranded in the jungle and I'm going to die!!!!" so it starts storing any and all foods still in your system straight to fat. Then after 4 hours you're possessed to eat MORE than you should, and your body still being in "I'm going to DIE mode" it stores it to fat.

Eat every 2-3 hours if you can, no more than 4 hours. Don't need to be much, a string cheese, a health bar, a small serving of fruit.

#3 Watch your carbs, I don't agree with the "Atkins" diet, but it's obvious that carbs are something that need to be moderated. Try to stick with Complex Carbs rather than Simple Carbs. (breads, sauces, treats and goodies are all simple carbs) Now here's a REAL interesting fact. Fruit and Vegetables are carbs, but they're complex carbs which are good... BUT if you cook or steam your vegetables, they turn into simple carbs! Vegetables are free game in any diet if they're raw. Eat raw veggies all day long if you wish, but limit the amount of cooked veggies you eat with your meals.

#4 Sodium!!! I'm a salt lover!.. or at least I was. As I was saying about water weight, sodium is the biggest factor in storing water, and if you're even slightly overweight, you probably have 20-30 pounds of excess water weight on you. Think of losing 20-30 pounds just by dropping excess water, not an ounce of fat included in that weight! So stay away from heavy sodium and no more salt farms on top of your foods. Being a salt lover what did I do? Mrs Dash is my hero now, Mrs Dash seasonings are sodium free, and there is some AWESOME flavors. Southwest Chipolte on my eggs in the morning.. just spicy and flavorful enough to get me to eat my eggs every morning (I don't really like eggs, but with mushrooms, peppers, Mrs Dash and Cheese, it's delicious)

#5 Always moderation. Here's the thing, if you're eating every 3-4 hours you won't be so hungry all the time, you'll actually find yourself looking at the clock and going "WOW, it's been 3 hours already, I'm not even hungry" you may not even want to eat because you don't feel like it. DO IT ANYWAY! But, you won't have these huge hunger strikes. But guess what's going to happen when you see the candy bars, or the deserts at a get together... oh you're gonna want some. HAVE SOME!.. "SOME" being the key word. If you can beat the craving and it doesn't matter to you, don't eat it just to eat it, but if you find yourself dieing for a piece of that chocolate cake, dish up a small piece of that cake! (small) satisfy that craving and let it go. If you don't have a small piece now, you'll eat the whole freaking cake tomorrow! Trust me! Wink

#6 Soda! Here's another one of my faults. I've been a huge soda drinker since I was a kid. After married I'd drink upwards of 6-7 cans of soda a day easy. I cut to diet soda because looking at the nutrition facts it's a lot better right? no calories, no carbs, no sugar... cool right? NOPE! Upon my searching, carbonation is proven to reduce and cut off the flow of oxygen to your vital organs, and this ladies and gentlemen, slows down your metabolism. So cut out soda "ALL TOGETHER". But I hate water... what do I do? My savior in this process. Crystal Light (or various generic brands)!!! Cherry or Cherry Limeaid! It has nothing bad for you, but it makes water drinkable for me! I love it, and now I get maybe a gallon of water in me a day! There's all kinds of flavors, try them out and find what you like. Even mix them. I'll mix a cherry and apple in a gallon pitcher. It's good stuff.

#7 Support! This is the MOST important! Your family, friends and surroundings need to be there to support you. My family still has goodies and treats in the house, but they're well hidden. They don't have to get rid of the goodies, but having them off in a cupboard that you never look in means you don't see it. You're likely to grab a cookie if you're walking past and their sitting there on the counter. If you don't see them, it's not the instinctive urge to grab one and eat it. Have your family help you by just keeping them "out of sight, out of mind"

One last thing I forgot to mention with the eating every 3-4 hours, eat as soon as you can after waking up. I try to get my eggs cooking right after I'm up and showered, so I'm eating within 1/2 to 1 hour from waking up. Get an eating schedule down and try to stick to it.

An example of how an average day goes for me.

Wake up around 5:30,

eating breakfast by 6:30 (usually my egg madness)

9:30 half an apple or other fruit and some cashews
11:00 string cheese or small snack
12:30 Turkey sandwich on wheat bread with lettuce, mayo, mustard, cheese etc. some cottage cheese etc.
3:30 protein bar (south beach living bars are good, only ones I can stand to eat)
5:30 exercise and weights
6:30 Chicken/Steak/Pork as my main for meat, salad with dressing wheat bread w/margarine.

2 last points, try NOT to eat at least 4 hours before bed. If you hit the sack around 10PM, have your dinner around 6 and nothing but drinks after that, if you feel a hunger pain before bed try drinking water (crystal light) and see if it helps, if not have a string cheese or something light, 2nd thing, if you exercise or lift weights try and eat a good source of protein right afterwards (the sooner the better). For me it sucks because it might mean having to eat dinner after exercising before I get a shower in, but protein is HUGE for rebuilding your muscles, and the longer you wait after exercising the less good it does you.

Smile

If anyone has any questions feel free to let me know, I've spent a lot of time and money on trying to figure out a good way of doing this, and I feel great about what I'm doing now.

Sorry again if I'm intruding, just hope I could offer some help to someone so they could feel the great sensation of success like I do now. It's not about winning a competition, it's about changing your life and making you feel better in your day to day life!
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:38 pm

Penny - sorry to hear about your back! Hopefully you'll be better soon!!

Utahcouple - thanks for the tips. (in the interest of picking on each other, like we all do here - that 'couple of cents' was more like $1.00 !! LOL Thanks!!)
Seriously, you have a lot of good ideas in there!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:41 pm

Pamela..my back is better..I had to baby it today. IT sucks getting old! lol!

I'll be ready to go back to body pump soon. I love that workout....helps lose inches which is where it counts
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:51 pm

LoL, yeah... It's a disease, I just start typing away and it goes. Sorry, 2 cents really did change to a couple hundred pretty fast didn't it?
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 5:59 pm

LOL but it was a GOOD read!! Very Happy

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 9:20 pm

UtahCouple wrote:
LoL, yeah... It's a disease, I just start typing away and it goes. Sorry, 2 cents really did change to a couple hundred pretty fast didn't it?

VERY GOOD advise, Utah Couple! Right on! Now I know what to do ...just do it right?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:37 am

Thanks for taking the time to share all of that, UtahCouple. You seem to have a lot of it figured out all right. And eating closer to awakening, and eating more often rather than letting a big hunger build up - well I am sold on those things making a difference.

Just like clockwork - a month into it I just kinda fell apart on the SparkPeople plan. Actually like it and believe in it and all the little changes adding up in time - but I just burned out and went overboard.

But two days of that was enough. Went over the calorie range again today but am logging every bit of it again. And thus much more aware.

Giving up Diet Coke - sigh - that is my big area of resistance in what you wrote. I just love it and really dislike drinking water. Have sweet tea now and then - and do like some juices. but nothing beats my Diet Coke - sighhhh
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 10:07 am

Tad,

I agree with you about giving up diet soda...I'm a diet pepsi plan and that is the hardest thing for me to give up...I dont keep any in the house...too tempting...but I have been stressed out lately (my home life is always stressed out with 4 kids...one with a driver's permit) so I went to the store and bought one....that was my treat. I dont mind water at all...sometimes I just need that taste from diet pepsi. I even switched to caffeine free but I know that also hinders dieting. I cant wait for spring to come...so I can take the dog and the stroller out again.

Nick...are you still with us? We havent heard from you on spark or here
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 11:56 am

Tad what works for one doesnt mean something else might not work for you.

Iv found that a nice treat is diet Snapple Oolong tea, raspberry citrus. I also have the diet peach tea in bottles, but found I really like the oolong diet tea too. Try some Snapple when you are tired of things like crystal lite and special K/southbeach protein and fiber water. I dont drink plain water.

My secret is watching sugar and carbs very very closely. Watch out for grocery products labeled "lite" most of them have the fat taken out and carbs added to make them taste better. Less fat, more carb = lite. Only low fat meat and low fat dairy is really light, the others are fooling ya. Lite peanut butter is worse than regular. Lite salad dressing is not low enough in carbs to pass muster etc.

Everyone has their own things that work to lose weight. These are my tips. Make a few changes, and over time you will lose. You can do it in baby steps instead of all at once.
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Tad, as I mentioned the soda was a huge thing for me too. Here's one thing that might help as well. As I mentioned if you're having a huge craving, satisfy it with as little of the item as possible.

This sounds weird, but it helped me drop my soda addiction (after the 2 day migraine had passed, I was fine).

If you're having that huge soda craving, crack one open and down a couple swigs. Why do we love soda so much? It's not necessarily the taste... it's the burning sensation on our throat... that feeling that makes you go "Ahhhhh" after drinking a big drink of it. So drink a couple swigs and get that burning sensation. Then put the drink aside and drink down your water instead, if you can get your mind off of it, by the time you remember your soda is there it's hopefully warm and nasty anyway. I'm so tight with my money too, the fact that I was throwing away 90% full sodas and wasting that money killed it for me.

Or like flowers mentioned, find an alternative, though they have dozens of flavors in crystal light, from lemonades to tea etc, and there's a lot of other drinks out there as well. Just check the labels. Stay away from sugars/carbs/carbonation. (Grean tea is excellent for you as well btw if you like it)

Also following on flowers post, always check nutrition facts, just because it "says" it's healthy doesn't mean it is. Even some of the Crystal Lights that are like "On the go" or something like that have a lot of Sodium or even carbs and such. So get to know your nutrition facts and check them on everything.
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 1:09 pm

Oh, and one other suggestion. If you drop Soda too quickly, you're going to have caffeine withdraws and you ARE going to get a bad headache and feel sick. If this happens, take Excedrin for the pain (Excedrin has caffeine in it) and think about buying a small bottle of caffeine pills too, just in case you need to take the edge off.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 4:02 pm

UtahCouple wrote:
If you drop Soda too quickly, you're going to have caffeine withdraws and you ARE going to get a bad headache and feel sick.

The diet peach or mixed snapple diet tea still has caffeine if you dont want to cut the caffeine, just the soda, one step at a time. I personally go thru sugar withdrawals when I start dieting. I dont like diet soda, odd aftertaste to me. I like the real Coke.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 6:54 pm

Shawn (utahcouple)..its great that you joined us at spark people. The more support the better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here
Page 5 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: