Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage
Infi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-02-09

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:09 pm

UtahCouple - your advice is great! Thanks for sharing. Crystal lite packs have been my savior in trying to wean myself off soda, I know they're not perfect but I try to only drink one a day. Gives me some flavor and helps me get my water intake for the day up.

Drinking water really helps a lot. A lot of times the hunger feeling may be just dehydration, which is why it's always good to drink some water before a snack or meal. Also helps cut down on how much you eat during meals, too.
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 5:08 pm

That's completely right Infi, a lot of times we feel hungry and it's really just needing "something" in our belly. Drinking a glass of water can sometimes settle down some of the angriest "hunger" strikes you think you're on. That's why I say if you're feeling the munchies, especially within 4 hours of bed, drink a glass of water first to see if it takes care of it. If it doesn't have a small snack with as much protein as you can muster in it. (A small egg is a great thing)

Also, I didn't hit much on protein, make SURE you're getting your fill of it. Every meal should have a good amount of it and I try to make sure all of my snacks have some sort of protein as well. Why?...

Protein takes the longest time to digest out of any other food. So it shouldn't leave you "starving" 20 minutes after lunch. Why can we eat a whole bag of Oreos and not get full but 1 good portion of steak or chicken can keep us full for hours? Because Oreos are simple carbs that do nothing for you, protein takes longer to digest and even gives you energy. Don't skimp on it, ever!

Another thing that needs mentioning, and the Spark page is big on this so many of you probably already know if you're over there. But make sure you're getting your fats and calories too!!! Some people look at a diet as "No Fats, No Calories, No Sugar, No Carbs" Wrong! You need some fat, each meal needs a "MINIMUM" of 5 carbs, and you need to reach a certain calorie intake per day as well. If you're seriously low on calories, you're hurting yourself almost as much as going over on them. Sugar you can always stay away from, it's not needed. But don't cut out all the "bad" stuff. Just minimize it and keep it in your range.

Look up the differences between types of fat too. Mono/Poly are unsaturated fats and are healthy. Trans/Saturated are un-healthy. Check out your labels to see if what your eating has healthy or unhealthy fats. Carbs are much harder, because your label of course doesn't show the item as a Simple Carb or a Complex Carb. As I posted before, try to get your carbs from RAW veggies, raw are complex, cooked become simple.

Wheat bread instead of White. Wheat Tortillas instead of flour, heck there's even wheat spaghetti noodles (though I haven't tried these before)

There's a lot of cool ways around bad carbs too.. for instance "Chicken Breading" I love Ranch Chicken or Lemon Chicken with the breading and yummmmm yummmm yummmy goodness! I found that you can crush pork rinds and mix in some seasonings to make a breading that is VERY close to the same taste. (Granted I don't like just "pork rinds" plain, but when used for breading like this, it's fantastic)
Back to top Go down
Infi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:28 pm

UtahCouple - solid advice about protein. I've noticed that extended "full" feeling I get from it over the past few months as well. Makes me tempted to try the Special K protein water, but I'm not sure I can justify the cost when I could always drink some regular water or eat a snack instead. I also tried the Special K bars and they were awful - like eating cardboard! Does anyone use the Special K water here?
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 pm

Yeah most all the protein bars I've tried are nasty!!! The only ones I like, and that aren't ridiculously expensive, are the South Beach Living bars. They have Chocolate, Choc. Peanut Butter, Carmel Nut, Vanilla and of course my favorite of them all "Cinnamon Creme" (tastes a lot like a cinnamon roll).

They have about 50/50 carbs/protein, so it makes for great snacks.

http://www.iateapie.net/reviews/archives/2009/02/south_beach_liv_2.php
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Infi wrote:
I also tried the Special K bars and they were awful - like eating cardboard! Does anyone use the Special K water here?

I have the Special K water and the South Beach water with fiber and protein. The fiber water leaves a residue in the bottle that is really hard to get out of your water bottles. Its ok, but I cant say Im crazy about either. I eat the special K protein cereal (also has extra fiber), but have never tried the bars. Im not too much of a bar person. I want to keep eating them, one isnt enough. So, I stay away from them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here   SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here - Page 6 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SparkPeople.com - Our Weight Loss Challenge - Meet In Here
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: