Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!

Go down 
+13
VegasSpunk
TwitchOR
GrmyCRS
Cruising Fool
JJ2sail
vlscruiser
cruiseforme
cruisenfever
Linda in KY
Murphy
frudutx
jillybabes
barbeeAL
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
vlscruiser
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1251
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 12:18 am

Jean sounds like your clothes like mine have been through the shrink washer. Really sad. I have gone shopping and found a few things but others are just going to have to do. It won't be a pretty site. Shocked
Back to top Go down
TwitchOR
Charter Member
Charter Member
TwitchOR

Number of posts : 208
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:05 am

vlscruiser wrote:
Jean sounds like your clothes like mine have been through the shrink washer. Really sad. I have gone shopping and found a few things but others are just going to have to do. It won't be a pretty site. Shocked
We'll all be bundled up like the Michelin woman any time we are outdoors, so we'll fit right in. I defy anyone to look good in a woolen hat, scarf and gloves.
Back to top Go down
critterchick

Number of posts : 845
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:31 am

Hey, ladies. I guess I have to add myself to the list of SPBs dealing with issues. I let my dogs out last night for their final bit of business and they took off for the corner (skunk or possum, likely). Carmen, my 10 year old Shepherd mix, never made it. She hit a tomato plant cage, got tangled up and fell to the ground. I didn't see or hear it, but looked out and she was lying on her side motionless. This was at 12:30 am. So I rousted Don out of bed, he drove us to the emergency vet and she spent the night. This morning I had a 7:00 breakfast meeting near the vet, went over & they recommended a neurological consult in Tustin, which is about an hour away. So they loaded her into my car (I keep the dog blanket on the back seat all the time) and I drove her down for an MRI. The great news is that, although she can't walk, sit up or even really mover her legs, she doesn't need surgery. But it will take weeks for her to heal (to the extent that she does, being 10 years old, 70 in human years), so while we're away, she'll be at our regular vet's office. The price tag for this is already equal to my fare in our cabin, so I am thankful that Don overruled me and renewed her insurance, which will pay a big portion of all of this.

I of course am consumed by guilt that I have tomato plants growing in the back yard.Sad

And my MIL (91 yo, 13 in dog years) was admitted to the hospital today for a sore that won't heal. This happens pretty frequently these days.

We have a "come hell or high water" attitude about this cruise. Don even said that, if worst comes to worst, he would sent me ahead and try to join in mid-cruise, but I don't think RCI will allow this because of the Passenger Services Act restrictions about one port to the next.

Argh.

Anyway, I did catch up on today's posts here, sorry I missed the Burning of Ephraim post before it was yanked.

Ginny, Bob did say that the Chops on Radiance was the best he's ever been in, so that must be saying something. We are going to do both, maybe more than once. Hell, it's only money.

Internet: on the Jewel they charged $10/day for the Cybercabin connection, and it was sloooooowwwwwww. The plus was that you could do stuff in your cabin around the connection. On the Radiance class ships, you generally can't pick up the Wifi signal in your stateroom unless you're near a hotspot. You can buy packages that reduce your price to $.33/minute.

Don will bring his tux for the formal nights, but will be shirt & khakis or nice trousers for the other nights - no sports coat.

Something to consider for all your electronics is the iGo charger - it's a charger with interchangeable "tips" for each device. I have one for my laptop with an extension for smaller devices - cellphone, iPod, whatever. www.igo.com for details. You can get the main charger and tips at Radio Shack. The one thing I haven't gotten is a camera charger, but I think I can do that through the laptop, which I am bringing. And I also will be happy to burn CDs for you all. I'll have a small supply, so if you bring a few blanks, that will make it easier - they don't sell them onboard.

Phew. I think that's it for tonight!
Back to top Go down
critterchick

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:43 am

OK, I thought of something else. I posted on the CC thread:

"Limoncello, mmmmm. I'll bet Ephraim can give us a recipe for that."

Let's see if Mr. Know It All triangles me or actually provides a recipe (I have one, but couldn't resist....)LittleDevil
Back to top Go down
TwitchOR
Charter Member
Charter Member
TwitchOR

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 1:48 am

critterchick wrote:
Hey, ladies. I guess I have to add myself to the list of SPBs dealing with issues.

We have a "come hell or high water" attitude about this cruise. Don even said that, if worst comes to worst, he would sent me ahead and try to join in mid-cruise, but I don't think RCI will allow this because of the Passenger Services Act restrictions about one port to the next.
Jean - How horrible for you. This has turned into the week from he** for a number of PBs. Sad

Carmen is in the best place while you are away, she'll be closer to her old self by the time you get back. Don't beat yourself up about the tomato cage. We can't protect our pets from everything - we'd have to keep them in a cage to do that! And even then a critter would crawl in and bite them!

Hope MIL soon recovers and is out of hospital and Don and you both enjoy our upcoming vacation. This cruise is going to be "therapy" for a lot of people.
Back to top Go down
critterchick

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:13 am

Thanks, Jean. I know it couldn't have been predicted/prevented, but I really thought she was going to die while we were taking her to the emergency vet - the downside of living in splendid isolation. Don went to vist her tonight and she wagged her tail for him, which she was NOT doing for me (the Evil Witch transporting her from vet to vet...).

It turns out that it's less expensive for us to provide her food than for the clinic to feed her, so I'll be cooking up a storm this weekend - I make chicken with brown rice and carrots for her bratty little "sister" Blanca, and she really enjoys it so I think I'll bring a few frozen containers to tide her over.

Not that my pets are spoiled or anything...Embarassed
Back to top Go down
vlscruiser

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:21 am

Jean so very sorry about last night with your dog Carmen. I am thankful that she will recover.

Hope your MIL also recovers quickly. One thing I have learned from all of my experiences with family members and illlness is that we have to trust and believe for the best possible out come. Be strong and know we can go forward. I don't think anyone ever says I spent enough time or did enough. I hope you and Don don't feel any guilt about coming and leaving Carmen or your grandmother. They both will be getting the care they need and you can keep in touch with them via cell phone or internet if the hosp. or vet have that access.

Will add both grandmother and Carmen to pray list. Is just seems to be getting longer and longer.

Hugs to all who are dealing with so many diffculties this past few days/week.
Back to top Go down
vlscruiser

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:23 am

Jean while you are cooking could you make a few meals for my grandson as well? lol
Back to top Go down
vlscruiser

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:25 am

I have never done a wine tasting as I am so picking about what I like. Usually very happy with Dr. Pepper Laughing but I might be talked into attending one if others go!
Back to top Go down
vlscruiser

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:28 am

I enjoyed Chops twice in 2001 and really enjoyed it. Celebrated my anniversary and toasted late husband. The other night was with a couple I met on the cruise and were really kind. I don't see them posting any longer on the cc board but then I only usually read stuff pertaining to the cruise I am on.
Back to top Go down
critterchick

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:28 am

We'll probably <hic> be there.drunken
Back to top Go down
vlscruiser

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:30 am

Good night and sweet dreams Ladies Sleep
Back to top Go down
TwitchOR
Charter Member
Charter Member
TwitchOR

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 am

I actually do some work for half an hour and there's half a page of messages!

Did you see the message from Diane F on the CC that her husband is having angiogram. Diane and Jerry are Coconuts from Patti's Hawaiian cruise last year and were also on a Princess cruise Patti, June & I did last year. Nice people, hope they can still do the cruise.
Back to top Go down
critterchick

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 2:54 am

I did not see that. Boy, we are having a tidal wave of issues, aren't we?
Back to top Go down
RBOUR
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:16 am

We must go Now hurry hurry before anything else happens.I hate to see a dog hurt they are our best friends.Hope he has a speedy recovery.sunny

DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak DoggieBreak
Back to top Go down
RBOUR
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 27

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 3:17 am

NITE EVERYONE:sleep: Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 6:34 am

cruiseforme wrote:
Susan........after you zoom, do u push the button down 1/2 way to focus???.....Also, are you set on auto?.(on my camera it's a green box and means everything is automatic)

Still have to get some fresh aa/aaa batteries yet.....I always like to take new, not some that have been in my bag for awhile.....

Ok....let's see.........power strip?.....hot cocoa cups (auto mugs)....flashlight?....duct tape??...diamonds International charm cards???...hiliters and sticky notes??

Yes, when it didn't focus, I've been pushing the button 1/2 way, but it doesn't clear things up in the viewfinder, but the photos come out beautiful, so I'm stumped. Thanks for the suggestion though. I think I have to make a stop at the photography shop over the weekend...
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 6:41 am

Jean, my best wishes for your MIL and Carmen! I told Ray we need to wrap each other in bubble wrap until we board the ship so nothing happens to us! Good wishes, prayers and big hugs coming your way...

Off to work, don't chat too much today ladies! I can't keep up!
Back to top Go down
frudutx
Charter Member
Charter Member
frudutx

Number of posts : 1619

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:16 am

critterchick wrote:
Hey, ladies. I guess I have to add myself to the list of SPBs dealing with issues. I let my dogs out last night for their final bit of business and they took off for the corner (skunk or possum, likely). Carmen, my 10 year old Shepherd mix, never made it. She hit a tomato plant cage, got tangled up and fell to the ground. I didn't see or hear it, but looked out and she was lying on her side motionless. This was at 12:30 am. So I rousted Don out of bed, he drove us to the emergency vet and she spent the night. This morning I had a 7:00 breakfast meeting near the vet, went over & they recommended a neurological consult in Tustin, which is about an hour away. So they loaded her into my car (I keep the dog blanket on the back seat all the time) and I drove her down for an MRI. The great news is that, although she can't walk, sit up or even really mover her legs, she doesn't need surgery. But it will take weeks for her to heal (to the extent that she does, being 10 years old, 70 in human years), so while we're away, she'll be at our regular vet's office. The price tag for this is already equal to my fare in our cabin, so I am thankful that Don overruled me and renewed her insurance, which will pay a big portion of all of this.

I of course am consumed by guilt that I have tomato plants growing in the back yard.Sad

And my MIL (91 yo, 13 in dog years) was admitted to the hospital today for a sore that won't heal. This happens pretty frequently these days.

I just got into work and started to play catch-up on the posts, when I read your post:

I'm so sorry about your misfortunes. Do they have any idea what may be causing the sore throats?

Dogs just have a way of getting into mischief, just like kids.

Please, in the short time that is remaining to post, keep us informed.

d
Back to top Go down
cruiseforme
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2007-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:24 am

Jean.....hugs and prayers your way.......Hope Carmen and MIl are on the mend......

Gosh what a week!

susan, have to wrap all family in bubble wrap too.....

jul Smile
Back to top Go down
vlscruiser

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:34 am

Good Morning Ladies,

Another day closer to sail away HappyHappyJoyJoy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:37 am

Morning all.........

Just wanted to say how sorry I am,Jean to hear your news....hope your MIL is ok....bad timing with you guys going away.then again,it is never a good time,is it??

And then poor Carmen..............sounds like a freak accident....Hope hes ok....poor baby......That happened to us 6 years ago.right before a cruise my little dog,Holly was mauled by my middle sized dog(who was a stray).....that was not a pretty site....she had her trachea punctured,her vertabrae broken,etc.........but our miracle vet saved her(and we put down the other dog that day!)......anyway, Holly spent a few nights at the ER vet and while we were on our cruise stayed at the Vet(which is inside Petsmart)so she had run of the store every morning).......she did fine there like Im sure Carmen will too........

Better not be on here this morning Sheila!!Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:44 am

Good Morning SPB's and HSPB's. I'm having my second cup of coffee and reading last night's left coast posts.

Wow I can't believe have more problems to pray about.

Jean, I really hope your Carmen mends completely. I have Doxies and as Ginny will confirm, they are prone to back problems. I have made more than one run to the Emergency Vet and once had to leave my Max there while we went away. I found that the crate rest along with appropriate meds is easier to accomplish at the vet's office than at home. I know it's hard for me to keep him in the crate when he whines at me to get out. I'm sure when you get home that he will be much better. They told me after Max's worst episode that feeling comes back as the swelling and trauma are reduced so hears hoping for Carmen. Max is just fine now.
I also wish the best for your Mil. Hang in there, better times are ahead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 am

Ginny, I usually attend the wine tasting and have had some fun times depending on the crowd and the somalier. Some are just terrible and that's usually when the fun starts, at least at our table, but then we're baaaad. Drinks
Back to top Go down
frudutx
Charter Member
Charter Member
frudutx

Number of posts : 1619

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 06, 2007 9:48 am

Maybe what we need is a virtual prayer circle! Noon today whatever time zone you're in, take a minute. Send thoughts and prayers to everyone!

d
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!   Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"! - Page 24 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Radiance 9-14-07 Polar Bear Express "Special"!
Page 24 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 23, 24, 25 ... 32 ... 40  Next