Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Packing Tips

Go down 
+14
Murphy
NDDad
UtahCouple
Triangle
RKlein
simcha
ckrobyn
Cruiseram
Admin
becktours
NDJollyMon
dream2cruise
Greta
Carole
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:18 pm

i have one and i packed using pete's method.
Back to top Go down
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:35 pm

Lucky wrote:
Crobyn: Do you make up a list with the number of days you will be cruising? Like 7 and then in each space for a day you write in what you're wearing. And then you go back and see if you can Mix and Match outfits and shoes. Nobody really keeps track of what you wear on a cruise. Bring LESS and then buy something on the cruise if you REALLY need to have it.
I'd be lost without lists!!
Robyn changes at least 4 times a day, so even with your suggestion, she will over pack! Love ya Robyn! ((((HUGS)))))
Back to top Go down
Murphy

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 5:38 pm

Greta wrote:
I bought the space saver style bags that you sit on (I lay on them) to get the air our. It really does a good job. They seal like zip style bags. I actually put folded clothes in them and when unpack clothes are still neat. It really frees up space in your luggage. Just becareful of weight limits.

The 2.5 gallon ziploc or the new 2X hefty storage bags work great too. I put the dirty laundry back in them and zip them closed when they are full. The day before departure I just toss the ziploc bags back in the suitcase!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:32 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
i have one and i packed using pete's method.

works nice, don't it! I have pack my suitcase soon.... cheers
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:33 pm

it worked great. and it looks like everything won't be one big wrinkled mess.
Back to top Go down
coo359a2al
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:03 pm

Pete, I will be trying your packing method for our upcoming cruise. I'm downsizing to only 1 checked 26 inch duffle each with one each carry on. Got tired of schelping 3 checked bags plus the carry-ons. What doesn't fit - doesn't go.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 5:16 pm

I gotta start packing soon myself. I'm using this method again. I like it a lot. Let me know how it works for you all that try it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 4:48 pm

Now packing is something I can provide some input. I have various packing lists that I use for different occassions like cruising, weekend away, camping, etc. and I just keep updating these after each trip with things I didn't use and things that I forgot. I find it has cut down on bringing the wrong things and missing things.

I usually start packing a month in advance and slowly start adding to my suitcases as I remember things. I highlight things on the lists that go in the carryon and most important don't let my husband get involved in packing.
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:18 pm

What I learned from my last cruise was that I took too many pairs of pants with. I really only needed one pair, for the trip there and the trip back, otherwise I was in shorts for the entire cruise.
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 10:20 pm

And yeah, I always over pack. So, from now on, I will only take half of what I think I need to take, because you end of buying clothes where ever you go. And plus, it's a reason to shop!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:55 am

i was thinking last night that i am probably over packed. i only wear shorts during the day and most days i have beach stuff planned so i don't even need shorts except in like puerto rico where i won't go to the beach. on the ship in the morning i am always cold so i wear a sweat suit to breakfast on the deck so why i have about 7 pairs of shorts and shirts is beyond me. i think i need to pare down a little. i always overpack and it's very annoying because i like to do express walk off when we leave and it's hard carrying all that luggage. as it is i got it down from 2 to 1 suitcase but i think i can take some stuff out of this one and make it even a little lighter!
Back to top Go down
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:10 pm

This is one of my best tips and sure makes the last night on the cruise easier.

After you wear something that I will NOT wear again during the cruise, pack it. If you do this everytime you wear something (formal wear, certain shoes, etc), by the last night, you will be mostly packed. Also do this with souvenirs. As you buy them, put them in your suitcase. You can "organize" each time you put something in there.

The last night is the hardest because there is so much to pack. If you do it this way, then you should have VERY little to worry about and minimal packing so you can really enjoy the last night of the cruise. You don't want to spend all that time packing.

Don't forget, when you leave your luggage out to be picked up..............make sure you left out something to wear. You don't want to wake up in your pj's (or less) and have nothing to wear. Smile
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Good idea Carol....that's sort of....what we do.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 2:41 pm

that is a good idea
Back to top Go down
cruiseforme
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2007-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:04 pm

Ok........now that I've packed and zipped and am ready to leave for 12 days, I feel the need to unpack 1/2 of what I'm taking!!!

I only have 1 bag each plus 1 suitbag.......course, then there's the bag with snorkel gear......carryon's.....ect ect........Need a pack mule!!!

I don't even put my costume jewelry in checked luggage anymore......Las Vegas employees stole all my jewelry (left the box with one pair of earrings)........

I finally found a great Buxton laptop bag that works great for it and all the crap I have to carry with me!

Over on the dark side I read a good tip is to use a 7day medicine holder for earrings......it worked great!!

j
Back to top Go down
mpg1226
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
mpg1226

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2008-04-17

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 08, 2009 12:06 am

Big fan of rolling duffle bags. You can roll your clothes and really stuff a lot in there. Best part is- they fit well under the beds. The last time we cruised, we took disposible clothes. Ended up tossing out dress shoes for hubby and lots of undies. More room in the suitcase for souveneirs.

Best packing tip ever is the Balanzza- little luggage scale that you can pack with you.
http://www.balanzzaworld.com/

Probably about $25 but worth it in saving you the extra weight charges.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myvacationlady.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3