Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Some Packing Tips

Go down 
+14
Murphy
NDDad
UtahCouple
Triangle
RKlein
simcha
ckrobyn
Cruiseram
Admin
becktours
NDJollyMon
dream2cruise
Greta
Carole
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 9:52 pm

flower ROLL your clothes. That's a military "trick". I always pack that way. You can get more in your luggage and less wrinkles. Use the plastic from the dry cleaners or something like that in between. I also pack a suitcase inside a bigger suitcase. I pack IN it and AROUND it. Then if I come home with more than I left with, I have an extra bag. Smile You can put a lot of socks in to the insides of shoes too.

Big tip:
don't pack all your stuff in one suitcase and yours spouses in another. If one gets lost, then one of you wont have clothes. Mix up the clothes to about half/half - shoes too. Remember to carry on a swimsuit, meds, cameras and jewelry and perhaps a spare pair of shoes. It may be an hour or SEVERAL hours to receive your luggage.

Here's a site I found showing you how to do this

OTHER TIPS:
Don't carry full-size toiletries, which are heavy and bulky. Instead, fill small containers with travel-size quantities of such products or buy a few travel sized ones you can throw away. When you unpack at home, refill the containers so they'll be ready for your next trip. Store cotton balls and cotton swabs in plastic bags.

Assemble a travel kit:
Take a small first-aid kit filled with items such as bandages, antiseptic, and pain relievers; a sewing kit with needles, thread, and other essentials; and a personal-documents pouch with copies of important papers and phone numbers. Make a list of your current medications (doses, etc) and what they are for. IF something should happen it would be time saver to have that info available.

Keep valuables with you in a separate carry on-case or bag, such as expensive jewelry, camera, important personal or business documents, address book, essential medicines and prescriptions. (I actually know of a TRAVEL AGENT - not mine, that had all her camera equipment stolen (over 600 dollars worth) from her suitcases somewhere before or sometime between flights).
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 9:56 pm

I bought the space saver style bags that you sit on (I lay on them) to get the air our. It really does a good job. They seal like zip style bags. I actually put folded clothes in them and when unpack clothes are still neat. It really frees up space in your luggage. Just becareful of weight limits.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeTue Jan 13, 2009 10:03 pm

Great ideas. I am panicking because I like to carry extra clothes
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:30 am

asanchez1961 wrote:

Just put on about 3 outfits at the same time while you fly. Much more room in your luggage...
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:02 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
asanchez1961 wrote:

Just put on about 3 outfits at the same time while you fly. Much more room in your luggage...

Why stop at 3?
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:09 am

Yeah, but then you get stopped at security!
Back to top Go down
becktours
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
becktours

Number of posts : 382
Registration date : 2008-04-08

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:45 am

I have decided to under pack from now on. I always catch myself bringing way too much. My next cruise I'm going to try to get everything in one small carry-on.

I always, always carry my camera, swimsuit and important stuff in my travel tote! Don't want to wait around for the luggage!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.becktours.com
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:49 am

Pete you are too funny. I always want to have different gowns for formal nights
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 12:43 pm

he gets stopped at security anyway for his knives. they might as well see he's nuts with all those clothes on.
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:12 pm

Great tips!!!!!!!

I have another -

NEVER hand over the bag that is carrying any electronics to the Cruise Porters. Carry your own cameras, ipods, etc onto the ship.

And with kids - put all of their electronics into a backpack (Ninendo handhelds, DVD players, etc), and have the kids carry on their own backpack. Don't leave it with the porter.

I have seen too many unhappy people who were robbed between leaving the electronics with the porters and it reaching their cabin. Anyone can take a camera bag or a backpack off the baggage carts.
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 pm

no i really like when the agent asks if anyone has put anything in your bag that you don't know about? if you knew about it.... well you can figure that one out
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 1:34 pm

since my luggage is purple i'm always that person is the hallway where all the bags are piled up digging out my bag and carrying it to my room. i do always have a bathing suit, cover up and book in my carry on so if my luggage doesn't come i have clothes on my back and can get in the hot tub.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:43 pm

You think I would 'stand out' in the security line if I was wearing a Tuxedo...and a swimsuit?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 2:47 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
You think I would 'stand out' in the security line if I was wearing a Tuxedo...and a swimsuit?

Now there is an imagine that will be burned into my mind for some time to come! lol!
Pete you have a PM Wink
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:09 pm

...yea....but security would never forget me! formalnight
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:28 pm

Bundle Packing...How to pack everything!

Bundle packing works GREAT!

This system works well for me...and things don't wrinkle much...because there aren't many flat folds. Things wrap into each other.

Some Packing Tips Foldingchart540

A great video shows how to do it here: Bundle Packing Video
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:30 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:

That depends Tux over swimsuit - maybe

Swimsuit over tux - definitely!
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:36 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Bundle Packing...How to pack everything!

Bundle packing works GREAT!

This system works well for me...and things don't wrinkle much...because there aren't many flat folds. Things wrap into each other.

Some Packing Tips Foldingchart540

A great video shows how to do it here: Bundle Packing Video

This is cool!!! I will have to show it to my husband. He packs more clothes than me!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 3:47 pm

The video explains it all...and it really does work!
Enjoy!
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:05 pm

Pete,

I like your new picture in your turnout gear.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Thanks! I like to change up the avatar occasionally. I use it to let people know who I am...so to speak.

Maybe when we all get together for these CF Group Cruises...people will spot me and say...HEY...THERE'S PETE!
(or more likely...THERE'S JOLLYMON!) cheers
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 4:35 pm

security is already on the lookout for you
Back to top Go down
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:09 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
since my luggage is purple i'm always that person is the hallway where all the bags are piled up digging out my bag and carrying it to my room. i do always have a bathing suit, cover up and book in my carry on so if my luggage doesn't come i have clothes on my back and can get in the hot tub.

I have purple luggage too! Easy to spot (it's lavender) and I never hand my valuables to a porter....just not a good idea.
Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 11:23 pm

I think these are very good pointers so thanks for the heads up!

I am naive I guess but until reading it here, I had never heard of things disappearing as a result of checking bags with ship porters. The people I know who lost things en route to or from a cruise had them disappear in the airport baggage system.

I would not check a bag in either setting that had electronics, meds, valuables etc. cuz I would rather have such things under my control at all times.

My mom always did the "rolling" technique that has been mentioned here.

One idea I added to our packing routine was something I read in a travel expert column - bring "disposable" clothes. Meaning - things you did not intend to wear again- just leave them behind rather than packing them. Clothes that you are tired of, or fit "funny" or have little flaws - just leave them behind for hotel maids or cabin attendants. In hotels, I would leave them on or near the trash can so they got the idea they were intentionally left and up for grabs. Sometimes I have mentioned it to them but usually just left it behind when I checked out.

On cruise ships, it is best to ask attendants how this should be handled as some can not accept a "gift" that looks like it belonged to a guest. Some said they have to put it in the trash for sorting if you didn't mention your intent. Some make you write a note stating you are giving it to them - others say that these things are put into a bin for charities but in any event they are appreciative.

And the bags now have room for new things that we gather along the way. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Cruiseram
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruiseram

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2008-12-03

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 12:51 am

I got a great tip from a porter a few years ago. He said to tie the brightest or most unusual color ribbon we could find to our luggage to make it easier to find. It really works well, we do it every time we travel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Some Packing Tips Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some Packing Tips   Some Packing Tips Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some Packing Tips
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next