Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cunard Questions

Go down 
+6
Lillian J
Monica
AmbianceTraveler
JJ2sail
Kim T
BB
10 posters
AuthorMessage
BB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BB

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2007-09-25

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 12:41 pm

1.) How much do shore tours on Cunard run? Are they more expensive than other lines like Royal Caribbean

2.) Can someone help me out with clothing - please. I'm a teacher, so, budget is a big deal to me.

3.) Are other singles going on this July 1st sailing? If so, anyone want to meet up?

4.) Pre-Cruise package - I'm coming up from Philly, can someone tell me where AMTRAK comes in? Is it Grand Central? If so that will make life very easy for me!

5.) Any information you wish to toss at this Cunard virgin would be greatly appreciated!
Back to top Go down
Kim T
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Kim T

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 12:50 pm

I'm glad you started this thread. We're starting to think about our 2009 cruises and leaving out of NJ or NYC is our best solution - the money we save on air fare allows us to take longer trips or upgrade to something like Cunard.

We finally received our kids tentative school schedule for 2009 and, it looks like we would be able to book Christmas with them only having to miss one day. So my questions are as follows:

1.) How comfortable are the cabins - specifically inside cabins - for 4 people? If it's too tight, are adjoining inside cabins available?

2.) How many children can be expected on board for Christmas?

3.) Are children invited to the dinner at Todd English or is there an age requirement? I know one of the lines, I think it's Carnival or Royal Caribbean requests that children be at least 12 or 13 to dine in the alternative restaurant.

4.) How many formals will be on a 15 night cruise?
Back to top Go down

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 24, 2008 3:07 pm

Ok I will answer the questions that I can and Nina or someone else can help fill in the gaps.

1.) How much do shore tours on Cunard run? Are they more expensive than other lines like Royal Caribbean
No, Cunard shore tours run about the same as most other cruise lines. Like all cruise lines it depends on the type of tour and length of the tour. For example, a two tank scuba dive might run you several hundred where as a guided city tour might run $20 - $30 per person.

2.) Can someone help me out with clothing - please. I'm a teacher, so, budget is a big deal to me.
Lots of ways to look great and not spend a fortune doing it. Ebay can be a great source - many times people buy something and it's the wrong size or color or it gets put in the closet and never worn. Another thing to do it visit outlet shops or you could take advantage of our NYC shopping trip next October. Here's the link: http://shopnyc2009.webnode.com/

3.) Are other singles going on this July 1st sailing? If so, anyone want to meet up?
Lots of us singles on both 4th of July and Christmas! You won't be alone and yes, we can arrange for meeting each other.

4.) Pre-Cruise package - I'm coming up from
Philly, can someone tell me where AMTRAK comes in? Is it Grand Central?
If so that will make life very easy for me!
AMTRAK comes in at Penn Station, but, it's not hard to get from Penn to the Hotel. There is a taxi stand there and you'll be on your way to the hotel in no time.
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 11:05 am

BB wrote:

Like you, I am new to Cunard also, and don't have many long formals. I found this website that has really reasonable prices. They have ready to ship and custom made, and all the accessories. I don't know how the quality is, but I may order something just to see how they are made.

http://www.nexteve.com/
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 11:10 am

Kim T wrote:
I'm glad you started this thread. We're starting to think about our 2009 cruises and leaving out of NJ or NYC is our best solution - the money we save on air fare allows us to take longer trips or upgrade to something like Cunard.

We finally received our kids tentative school schedule for 2009 and, it looks like we would be able to book Christmas with them only having to miss one day. So my questions are as follows:

1.) How comfortable are the cabins - specifically inside cabins - for 4 people? If it's too tight, are adjoining inside cabins available?

3.) Are children invited to the dinner at Todd English or is there an age requirement? I know one of the lines, I think it's Carnival or Royal Caribbean requests that children be at least 12 or 13 to dine in the alternative restaurant.

Personally, from being on other cruise lines, I think 154 square ft is a little tight for four people, unless you have small children. It can be done, though, if you are very organized.

From what I have read, a 15 night sailing over the holidays, will have at least 3 formals and possibly 4?? Can anyone verify for us?
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 4:22 pm

Hi Kim,

1.) How comfortable are the cabins -
specifically inside cabins - for 4 people? If it's too tight, are
adjoining inside cabins available?

There are adjoining inside cabins available which for 15 days you will find MUCH more comfortable! Insides just right for 2 people but I wouldn't want to sqeeze more than that into the cabin if longer than a week. Just think of how nice it will be to have 2 bathrooms before dinner!

There are usually a much higher percentage of children on holiday sailings. It's hard to predict an exact number but a couple hundred to be sure!

3.)
Are children invited to the dinner at Todd English or is there an age
requirement? I know one of the lines, I think it's Carnival or Royal
Caribbean requests that children be at least 12 or 13 to dine in the
alternative restaurant.

This is a question I do not know the official answer to off the top of my head but will be happy to find out for you. Dinners at Todd English can be lengthly and I think in general kids would have a better time eating some where else and letting Dad & Mom enjoy it without them.

Expect 5-7 formal nights on a 15 night sailing.

Hope this answers everything for you!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Nina, 5 to 7 formals???????????? How can they do that? Isn't there something like 9 ports? Are they trying to kill us? HolySheep Laughing

I think I'm going to need to go into training for this cruise! lol!
Back to top Go down
Monica

Monica

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-25

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSat Oct 25, 2008 7:31 pm

I'm here to get information too. I work with Christina (FormerlySanFranBayCruiser) and she's encouraging me to try cruising, so, if I do it's going to be off the deep end. I won't be able to sail during 4th of July week so my questions are geared toward the Christmas sailing.

1.) How rough is it going to be leaving from NYC? I'm referring to the water conditions and wave height/action in the Atlantic

2.) When will it start warming up enough to go outside?

3.) I think I understand the concept of "cashless" cruising, my question is - do I have to use a credit card for on-board charges or will a debit card be acceptable?

4.) I'm confused scratch about the King's Court buffet area. I understand that it converts into 4 separate restaurants at dinner time, what I can't seem to find out is - is there an extra charge for these restaurants? If so, how much and, what time does the King's Court convert back into a buffet?
Back to top Go down
Kim T
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Kim T

Number of posts : 37

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 11:38 am

AmbianceTraveler wrote:
Hi Kim,

1.) How comfortable are the cabins -
specifically inside cabins - for 4 people? If it's too tight, are
adjoining inside cabins available?

There are adjoining inside cabins available which for 15 days you will find MUCH more comfortable! Insides just right for 2 people but I wouldn't want to sqeeze more than that into the cabin if longer than a week. Just think of how nice it will be to have 2 bathrooms before dinner!

There are usually a much higher percentage of children on holiday sailings. It's hard to predict an exact number but a couple hundred to be sure!

3.)
Are children invited to the dinner at Todd English or is there an age
requirement? I know one of the lines, I think it's Carnival or Royal
Caribbean requests that children be at least 12 or 13 to dine in the
alternative restaurant.

This is a question I do not know the official answer to off the top of my head but will be happy to find out for you. Dinners at Todd English can be lengthly and I think in general kids would have a better time eating some where else and letting Dad & Mom enjoy it without them.

Expect 5-7 formal nights on a 15 night sailing.

Hope this answers everything for you!

Thank you for the detailed answers. We'll be discussing how many cabins and what relatives or not will be joining us. Nina, can I call you? I'd rather talk on the phone then send in a booking form, however, I will send in a booking form too so you can have the correct spelling of everyone's legal names.
Back to top Go down
Lillian J

Lillian J

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeSun Oct 26, 2008 8:34 pm

I've been lurking on this board for a while and decided to register to make a correction. While there will be more children on-board than other cruises on QM2, it is an exaggeration to make the statement that there will be a couple of hundred. Having taken the holiday cruise several times on QM2, I can assure you there might be 100 or 150 but, that would be pushing it. QM2 is a more upscale celebration and it doesn't appeal to most mainstream cruisers who wish to appease their children with water slides and other child friendly activities. A moderator who also appears to be a travel agent should know their facts before posting - JMHO

Leaving NYC aboard QM2 is a wonderful experience, even with very rough seas, you will not feel the motion that you would on a smaller vessel. In fact, QM2 is built for transatlantic sailings, it is an ocean-liner opposed to a cruise ship. It is built stronger and better. Have no worries!

It will start warming up enough to venture outside late in the second day.

You may absolutely use a debit card and cash is also acceptable.

You are correct about King's Court transforming into 4 different restaurants for dinner. While there is no additional charges, you do need reservations. However, it should be noted this does not include Todd English which is it's own separate specialty restaurant that is open for both lunch and dinner and very worth the surcharge.
Back to top Go down
Iceman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Iceman

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-10-12

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 10:28 am

Lillian J wrote:
I've been lurking on this board for a while and decided to register to make a correction. While there will be more children on-board than other cruises on QM2, it is an exaggeration to make the statement that there will be a couple of hundred. Having taken the holiday cruise several times on QM2, I can assure you there might be 100 or 150 but, that would be pushing it. QM2 is a more upscale celebration and it doesn't appeal to most mainstream cruisers who wish to appease their children with water slides and other child friendly activities. A moderator who also appears to be a travel agent should know their facts before posting - JMHO

Leaving NYC aboard QM2 is a wonderful experience, even with very rough seas, you will not feel the motion that you would on a smaller vessel. In fact, QM2 is built for transatlantic sailings, it is an ocean-liner opposed to a cruise ship. It is built stronger and better. Have no worries!

It will start warming up enough to venture outside late in the second day.

You may absolutely use a debit card and cash is also acceptable.

You are correct about King's Court transforming into 4 different restaurants for dinner. While there is no additional charges, you do need reservations. However, it should be noted this does not include Todd English which is it's own separate specialty restaurant that is open for both lunch and dinner and very worth the surcharge.

I see no reason to be so cutting to the moderator. You could have simply made the correction without the additional comments.
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 2:47 pm

I agree, with iceman.

On to more questions.......

Can you purchase shore excursions in advance? If so, when do they go on sale?

Thanks!
Back to top Go down

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeMon Oct 27, 2008 4:19 pm

Jen, you'll receive an information package about 90 days prior to sailing and that will include a list of all the shore tours that will be available. You can pre-reserve but, payment will be made on-board. They'll charge it to your on-board account.
Back to top Go down
cruiseforme
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2007-08-19

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 9:47 pm

Jen.....I went onto Cunard's website and found the shore excursions they offer at this point.......it gave the detail of each one and the price......so you could look there and get some idea of what to plan!
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2008 11:03 pm

cruiseforme wrote:
Jen.....I went onto Cunard's website and found the shore excursions they offer at this point.......it gave the detail of each one and the price......so you could look there and get some idea of what to plan!

Hi Jul! I did look at the website, but I did not see prices? I will have to check again.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 12:02 pm

Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeMon Nov 10, 2008 11:46 pm

What type music do they play in the nightclub/disco?
70's? 80's? 90's? Top 40? Dance?

Is it more of the same each night?
I've been to nightclubs on ships where most there were early 20's. Same here...or does the demographic go older?

We love to dance, but ballroom dancers we are not. Give me some 70's-80's rock!
I don't do that....'music of today'...if you know what I mean.

I'm also interested to know about the sailaway parties. Caribbean band on deck? Where?
Is there a dance party like other lines? Do they make a celebration out of it?
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 12:40 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
What type music do they play in the nightclub/disco?
70's? 80's? 90's? Top 40? Dance?

Is it more of the same each night?
I've been to nightclubs on ships where most there were early 20's. Same here...or does the demographic go older?

We love to dance, but ballroom dancers we are not. Give me some 70's-80's rock!
I don't do that....'music of today'...if you know what I mean.

I'm also interested to know about the sailaway parties. Caribbean band on deck? Where?
Is there a dance party like other lines? Do they make a celebration out of it?

I have only been to the night club on 70's and 80's night... most of the group was 30-50 on those nights. I am not sure what else they play other nights or what the crowd is like. Ballroom dancing is only in the Queens' Room though.

As far as sailaway parties go, the crossing I was on was historical because it was the final meeting of the three ships in Southampton. They did have champagne but no Caribbean band since it was a crossing. I am not sure what they would do in the Caribbean but don't forget on the Christmas cruise the sailaway out of NY will be in winter :coldout:
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 1:20 am

Sailing out in the winter...I bet that curbs the on-deck Caribbean band and dancing! What the heck am I thinking!

Ok...how about sailaways from the islands?
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

Cunard Questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard Questions   Cunard Questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cunard Questions
Page 1 of 1