Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Empty
PostSubject: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 11:50 am

Cuisine: American
Nick's Rating (4 out of 5): Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe 26528 Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe 26528 Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe 26528 Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe 26528

For the third straight Saturday evening in a row, two things have taken place. It was a damp and wet night and, I was sent out on a mission to find a restaurant for our 2010 holiday group. At first I wasn't thrilled about heading into the middle of tourist central - again - Fifth Avenue, Rockefeller Center and the Holidays - not a welcome combination. But, nonetheless, I was given a job and fully intended it to do it right. So off Leanna (my wife) and I went to Manhattan and, from start to finish I have nothing but praise for Rock Center Cafe: http://www.patinagroup.com/east/rockCenterCafe/

We arrived at our standard dining time of 7:30pm and were joined by fellow Cruise Freek members Christina (FormerlySanFranBayCruiser) and Marina (Curvy Gal Cruises). After the usual greetings and catching up after the holidays and, Leanna showing off her Christmas present, we were seated - right by a HUGE picture window and yes the photo below was
REALLY taken from INSIDE the restaurant - that's how close you are to the rink! I was smart enough to bring along my new digital camera so you could see the restaurant for yourself - I'm not sure my words alone would do it justice:

This was our view:
Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe 33631010

We were off to a great start. Yes, this is a very expensive place to dine but, with a view like we had - you know you're partially paying for atmosphere and, I'm telling you, if we want the true holiday feeling for our 2010 group, nothing is going to come remotely close to Rock Center Cafe. There is nothing like dining here during the Holidays. The menu isn't extensive but, the choices offered are very good and, I would rate the wine menu good but, not outstanding (since Morrell's - which is a wine bar - is across the street, I guess they figure it isn't worth competing). Anyhow, we ordered a bottle of Pinot Noir and settled in for a wonderful dining experience.

For appetizers Leanna had the Jumbo Shrimp, I had the Crab And Risotto Cake and both Christina and Marina ordered the Manhattan Clam Chowder. Well, there were absolutely no complaints during our first course! When I say Jumbo Shimp, I should say more like colossal in size. The Crab and Risotto cake was also a very generous portion, not to mention extremely
well done in both taste and presentation. And, we have two thumbs up from Christina and Marina on the Manhattan Clam Chowder.

For our main entrees: Christina had the Duck Confit which she described as deliciously decadent; Marina had the Braised Lamb Shanks that was so tender if fell off the bone; Leanna had the Pork Tenderloin which was very good; and I had the Prime Rib Of Beef Au Jus, perfectly cooked and very tender.

You know we had a good time because we lingered and ordered a second bottle of wine before dessert and, just enjoyed each other's company, the conversation and of course, the restaurant itself. Below is a photo I took of the restaurant as we were leaving, just so you can see how it looks decorated for Christmas time. Boy did I feel like a tourist! Rolling Eyes

Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe 28120810

On to my favorite part of the meal. Dessert!!! All three ladies ordered the Key Lime Pie which was very well done, not too sweet and not too tart. And, I ordered the cheesecake - it was very good. Was it Junior's - no, nothing will ever come close to a Junior's cheesecake but, this one was still very good.

Overall - I loved just about every minute of this restaurant experience. A wonderful view, very good food, no intrusive waiters
asking where I'm from - and understanding Tina's logic that Rock Center Cafe would suit our needs perfectly since Radio City is literally just upstairs from this restaurant, to me this is the number one choice for our group for our second pre-cruise night in New York City. However, Tina said we'll put it to a vote so please look for a voting poll and, I will link all three reviews so everyone can read before voting.

Nick

PS - Thank God for bad weather, otherwise, this fat boy would have ended up on his fat butt in the middle of the staking rink! Razz

This is sidewalk elevator down to the restaurant and shops inside Rockefeller Plaza:
Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Elevat10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Nick,
Thanks for the review. How is the menu for young kids? My older kids wouldnt like the lamb or duck. They are picky
Back to top Go down
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Da Bronx Bombers Fan

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Thanks for the link
Back to top Go down
jillybabes
Resident Expert & Charter Member
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1741
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:46 pm

Great Review Nick, as a former NY'er never had a chance to eat at the Rock Center Cafe, but do agree that it's location is perfect being that it is right across the street from Radio City and would fit in just fine with our plans...
Will wait for the poll to come out Very Happy ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 12:48 pm

Back to top Go down
Cruise Virgin Vinnie
Charter Member
Charter Member
Cruise Virgin Vinnie

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 2:08 pm

Ok Nick how much $$ is it going to take for you to be on the Ice Rink while we're dining inside - in other words, what do you charge to be our ice show as we feast and laugh at you?
Back to top Go down
Cruising Rays
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruising Rays

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 10:05 pm

Cruise Virgin Vinnie wrote:
Ok Nick how much $$ is it going to take for you to be on the Ice Rink while we're dining inside - in other words, what do you charge to be our ice show as we feast and laugh at you?

Dinner and a show......I've never seen an ice show in person ... only on the TV.

Kim Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe   Nick's Review of Rock Center Cafe Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1