Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll

Go down 
+17
Brian of Boston
Former Cruise Critic
Trish
Sweet Home Chicago
Leisure Suit Larry
Cold Weather Cruiser
Single Dad
Anna Banana
HMS AnyShip
OU812
Hopeful Henry
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Krazy 4 Kruises
J Kelly
Tommy Bahamas
BB
Big Red Robyn
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Vote on a Pre-Cruise Hotel in NYC for EOS Christmas sailing 2010
No - Not interested, sorry
RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_lcap25%RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_rcap
 25% [ 15 ]
Budget - This would mean a hotel like Milford Plaza and around $200 per night during the holiday season
RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_lcap3%RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_rcap
 3% [ 2 ]
Moderate - This would mean a hotel like Holiday Inn and around $240 - $250 per night during the holiday season
RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_lcap26%RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_rcap
 26% [ 16 ]
Upscale - This would mean a hotel like the Sheraton in Times Square and be around $300 - $350 per night
RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_lcap39%RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_rcap
 39% [ 24 ]
Luxury - This would mean a hotel like the Waldorf Astoria and anywhere from $500+ per night
RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_lcap7%RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Vote_rcap
 7% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 61

AuthorMessage
Big Red Robyn
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Big Red Robyn

Number of posts : 408
Registration date : 2008-01-23

RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Empty
PostSubject: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 1:21 pm

Since there is a lot of interest in EOS for Christmas in 2010, well, actually, it's already in place as a Cruise Freek Group Cruise - I guess as long as Royal Caribbean still keeps a ship in NJ and I don't see why they won't, it's been a huge success so far - this is a poll about a potential Pre-Cruise stay in New York City. Now, I'm a Jersey girl but, I'd probably take advantage of the opportunity and stay a night or two in the city and then come back to NJ for the cruise.

If this is of interest to you and you plan on actually booking the Christmas 2010 cruise from NJ on Royal Caribbean, please cast your vote for the hotel type of your choice. I am only listing types meaning budget, moderate, upscale or luxury. I'm warning you in advance NYC prices are high and during the holidays extremely high!

Keep in mind the prices I have listed are only guidelines. I'm sure our TA will be able to get us a much better group rate at a better hotel than what I have listed. So don't shoot me, like I said these are merely guidelines and a poll to see who is interested and what the majority of us can afford to do.
And, this will help our selected TA, whoever he or she maybe, in getting us organized.

Thanks for voting!
Back to top Go down
BB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BB

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 1:31 pm

The problem with your idea, for a teacher such as myself, is that not only is it the hotel. I would then have to add in whatever activity is selected, say it's Radio City as suggested, that's another $40 - $60 per person; I'm sure we'd all have to share the cost of the bus for getting us to all the places including back to Bayonne so figure another $20 - $30 person for that; then we still need to eat. Realistically, I doubt I'd be able to afford the extra $400 - $600 you're describing. Not for one night. Don't get me wrong, I think it's great IF you can afford it but, I'm just saying for someone like me, it just isn't realistic.
Back to top Go down
Big Red Robyn
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Big Red Robyn

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 1:37 pm

I do understand your position but, there are some of us that will be able to afford it and I think it's a fun idea, especially for those coming in from outside the area. Say you were coming in from Iowa, would you rather stay in Jersey City or Newark and stay in the hotel the night or would you like a fun night in NYC before cruising? See what I'm saying? That's why I started the poll PLUS many people already mentioned the idea.
Back to top Go down
BB
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BB

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2007-09-25

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 1:38 pm

And I'm saying it's a GREAT idea but, not all of us will be able to afford it. Nothing else. Didn't mean to insult.
Back to top Go down
Big Red Robyn
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Big Red Robyn

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 1:40 pm

Oh you didn't insult me at all! I was just trying to explain why I put the poll up, I know not everyone will want to do this or will be able to afford it on top of the cruise. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tommy Bahamas
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 5:28 pm

I'm all for it!  In fact, it would be the leading reason for me to book a cruise from a cold weather port.  Without NYC as part of the package, what would be my incentive to leave warm, sunny Florida for cold, rainy or snowy New Jersey?
Back to top Go down
J Kelly
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
J Kelly

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 5:43 pm

I'm in MA so again like Tommy Bahamas the ONLY reason I would book from Bayonne during the winter would be to SPECIFICALLY visit New York during the Holidays. This does not mean staying in a hotel in NJ and driving or taking the train into the city. If I were to do it, I would want to do it the right way, meaning at least one night in New York (Manhattan) proper. However, I can't see going crazy, the Holiday Inn, (which I've actually stayed in and thought it was a good location for the price), would be more than fine. I just need a bed and a place to shower but, I won't lower myself to something like Milford Plaza or worse the Hotel Pennsylvania.
Back to top Go down
Krazy 4 Kruises
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-03-02

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:03 pm

As I said when EOS was first proposed for the Holidays in 2010, the MAIN reason would be to visit New York prior to the cruise. If New York isn't included, I probably won't book. Why would I want to spend 1.5 days at sea, inside? However, you give me a night or two in New York and you got yourself a deal!

I'd also like to suggest a Broadway show opposed to Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Not everyone booking will necessarily want to see a Christmas show and a Broadway production is non-denominational.

And, I think Tavern on the Green would be a great restaurant choice for the group.

(In my opinion)
Back to top Go down
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Da Bronx Bombers Fan

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:13 pm

Krazy 4 Kruises wrote:
As I said when EOS was first proposed for the Holidays in 2010, the MAIN reason would be to visit New York prior to the cruise. If New York isn't included, I probably won't book. Why would I want to spend 1.5 days at sea, inside? However, you give me a night or two in New York and you got yourself a deal!

I'd also like to suggest a Broadway show opposed to Radio City Christmas Spectacular. Not everyone booking will necessarily want to see a Christmas show and a Broadway production is non-denominational.

And, I think Tavern on the Green would be a great restaurant choice for the group.

(In my opinion)

Tavern on the Green? YUCK! With all the restaurants that good to exceptional in Manhattan, why in the world would you suggest Tavern on the Green? The only way I'd eat there is if Donald Trump takes it over as proposed and he brings the place back to what it was in yesteryear.
Back to top Go down
Krazy 4 Kruises
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:14 pm

I thought Tavern on the Green was one of "the" places to eat?
Back to top Go down
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Da Bronx Bombers Fan

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:19 pm

Only to tourists! Wink Personally, I'd go to 21 but, that would be major $$ for most people.
Back to top Go down
Krazy 4 Kruises
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:20 pm

Guess I'm a tourist then...
Back to top Go down
Hopeful Henry
Host
Host
Hopeful Henry

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:28 pm

21 is indeed a great restaurant but, with a group with various budgets, I'd probably suggest something a bit more mainstream like one of the Heartland Brewery Restaurants and I just like to remind everyone to keep the boards friendly. We all may have a different opinion on certain subjects - like this discussion - so please keep open minds and let's keep the board flame-free as we have the past 6 months of operations.
Back to top Go down
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Da Bronx Bombers Fan

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:30 pm

Sorry Henry, didn't mean to get carried away if I did. I just don't want to see anyone pay a lot of money for a dinner and get disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Hopeful Henry
Host
Host
Hopeful Henry

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:31 pm

No worries Da Bronx, you're intentions are good, I know that Very Happy Just don't want this to turn into a battle over something as silly as a restaurant.
Back to top Go down
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Da Bronx Bombers Fan

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:33 pm

Understood. Very Happy Again, I'm sorry if I offended anyone.
Back to top Go down
OU812
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
OU812

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 6:48 pm

I won't repeat myself too much since I just expressed my opinion in another thread you guys have going but, I'm very impressed that you're going to have a group cruise during the holidays in 2010 and I'm very interested and will more than likely be joining the group and booking.

That aside, I'll address the topic at hand. I'd say go for the at the Holiday or Sheraton options, this way you'll be affordable to more people and, I think it will be a more successful group if you keep things within reason for the majority.

As the OP mentioned, I'm sure the assigned TA will be able to negotiate a good deal, so, the more people we can get who can actually commit to book will probably help to lower the price for everyone.

Does that make sense?
Back to top Go down
HMS AnyShip
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
HMS AnyShip

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:01 pm

Here's the way I view it, if it's only a $50 difference between a fleabag hotel or hotel in a so-so area, I'd rather pay the extra $50 and have a decent hotel. I agree with majority that there is no reason to go overboard and book a hotel like the Waldorf-Astoria which would exclude many from the Pre-Cruise opportunity.

I would love to go to Radio City to see the Christmas Show and I'd equally enjoy going to a Broadway production. Either would provide a quintessential New York experience!

Where we have dinner is the least of my concerns. I want to experience New York City for all that it has to offer during the holidays!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:04 pm

Hi everyone, sorry to intrude but, I just wanted to show you what the Cunarders have planned for 2009 for their pre-cruise plans and that might give you a jumping off point for prices and activities:

https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com/Cunard-Holiday-Cruise-2009-h31.htm

Happy planning!
Back to top Go down
HMS AnyShip
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
HMS AnyShip

Number of posts : 34

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:05 pm

Thank you Host Jackie!
Back to top Go down
Anna Banana
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Anna Banana

Number of posts : 33
Registration date : 2007-08-13

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:20 pm

Here are my thoughts. If I'm flying up from Atlanta, I'd want at least one night in New York (truth be told, I'd actually want two or three nights), anyhow, I wouldn't want the hotel to be in NJ but actually in New York meaning Manhattan. I'd want a nice upscale hotel and with over two years to save for the trip, I know I can afford the indulgence. Sure, I realize hotels in NY are going to twice or even three times the price of a hotel in New Jersey but, it's the Manhattan experience that I would be coming to enjoy.

As so many have pointed out, if there isn't a pre-cruise stay in New York, why would I want to come North to be stuck inside for 1.5 days at sea? It's Manhattan that is the selling point of this trip, at least for me.

I'd want the chance to see the city and I'd love to see a show, which one wouldn't really matter.

I checked out the Cunard link Host Jackie provided and, I LOVE what the Cunarders have set up and, I'd like to see this group offer something similar. Maybe not at such an expensive hotel but, if we could get in the $300 range, per room, per night. I know that is something I could afford, and, I know it would make for wonderful memories for a lifetime. Since it wouldn't be "just another Caribbean cruise".
Back to top Go down
Big Red Robyn
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Big Red Robyn

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeSun Apr 20, 2008 8:30 pm

Seems like the majority are on-board with the idea. So while we wait, let's see if we can get a TA assigned and maybe start working with us. Sound good?
Back to top Go down
Big Red Robyn
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Big Red Robyn

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 10:07 am

I sent an email to Tina. Hopefully we'll get a TA assigned now.
Back to top Go down
Single Dad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Single Dad

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 10:12 am

Sounds good.
Back to top Go down
Cold Weather Cruiser
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitimeMon Apr 21, 2008 10:29 am

If I book this it would be because of the pre-cruise package in NYC. I'd like to throw out the idea of the Hilton on the Avenue of the Americas. That location and hotel have always worked well for me. It's usually fairly priced, considering it's Manhattan and a Hilton and it's a large enough hotel to be able to handle a group.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll   RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RCCL Explorer Christmas 2010 Cruisers - Pre Cruise Poll
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next