Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

newbie too

Go down 
+2
luvcruising
choose2cruise
6 posters
AuthorMessage
choose2cruise

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-04-08

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 2:02 pm

sunny HI ALL,

I am a newbie to and I am waiting for 10/23/08, when I set sail on my very first cruise. So, anybody have anything to say about the Carnival Sensation?? We booked a penthouse suite (big 50 b-day and 30th anniversary). Beleive me I need to know everything there is to know, from seasickness, to dress codes, and everything else in between. Looing forward to being here!!!! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Welcome We're glad you're here!! Jump right in and start asking questions, we're here to help!
Back to top Go down
luvcruising
Carnival Host
Carnival Host
luvcruising

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-08-16

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 3:54 pm

Hello Choose2Cruise!

Welcome to Cruise Freeks Forum! So glad to hear you're taking your 1st cruise! Did you have a travel agent help you with this cruise? One thing you'll need to do or ask your travel agent to do is complete your FunPass online at www.carnival.com . This will save you time at the Check-In counter. There are tons of neat virtual tours at Carnival's website!

If you're concerned about "motion discomfort" or have a tendancy to develop it while riding in a car or flying, etc. then I would get some "Dramamine" tablets & start taking them the day or night before you set sail - ***after checking with a Dr or Pharmacist to verify any possible interactions, etc. since I am no doctor! Usually this kind of medication helps greatly. Some people prefer to use a patch (Transderm Scopolomine) that also works very well. One really great thing for you is that you're in a Penthouse Suite, which besides being much roomier than the other cabins on this ship, is in a prime location on the ship - 3rd Deck& in the middle of the ship, which usually means you feel less movement of the ship!

You're going on a 3-Day Bahamas cruise that sails from Port Canaveral; Port Canaveral is really easy to navigate or use. The Sensation was built in 1993 & refurbished in 2000. It's a medium sized ship that holds about 2052 passengers to it's capacity of 2606. I see you located in Philadelphia, so you'll probably be flying to Florida - I would recommend that you fly in the day before your ship sets sail & spend a night in a hotel, then leave for the ship on the 23rd. I usually try to get to the Cruise Terminal about 11:30AM - remember your boarding documents - preferrably a passport or certified birth certificate & picture ID such as a Driver License. Then you can board the ship & start your Fun escape! And don't forget the grab some lunch on the Lido Deck!

Carnival's Dress Code: "Depending on the length of the cruise, either formal dress or casual resort wear is required in the Dining Room. The dress requirement for children is the same. For those not wanting to dress up, the Lido restaurants are open nightly (with the exception of the last evening of the cruise), and have a casual dress code.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs). Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, and sleeveless shirts for men.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too! Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats."

There will 1 Formal Night, which will probably be on Friday night of your cruise, but you'll be notified in the ship's daily newsletter, which will be delivered to your stateroom every night of your cruise.

Hopefully this will get you started! Happy Birthday! & Happy 30th Anniversary! I'm turning 50 next month & I want a cruise, too!

Cathy
Back to top Go down
http://www.luvcruising.com
choose2cruise

Number of posts : 3

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 8:21 am

Thank you so much for the info so far. We are flying into Florida from Philly, but we are flying the the day of, because I have issues with layovers, especially Atlanta. Last year we were going to Mississippi to visit my son as he as graduating AIT training in the Army,(now in Iraq) had a layover in Atanta, for 10 hours, before they cancelled the flight altogether, thank God we saw a limo driver, who very graciously drove us from Atlanta to Mississippi. Anyway, as along as it is nonstop, I'm OK. The only non stop was the day of, although we have a 7:00 am flight, so we should be good. We rented a car from orlando airport to the port and vice versa on the way back. And as much as I am trying, I still can't get away with anything less than 6 pairs of shoes. But I'm still trying. I have so many questions, and as I think of them I will be putting them out there. Thanks again. sunny
Back to top Go down
KeithnRita
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
KeithnRita

Number of posts : 25

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 11:59 am

choose2cruise, this is a "WARNING", the Sensation may hook you to cruising for life. It certainly did for us. Our first cruise was on the Sensation in Sept of '97, which was our delayed honeymoon. We've been on 15 more cruise since and have number 17 booked.
You could not have picked a better way to celebrate the big 5-0 and your 30th anniversary. Congratulations on both! Congratulations
Back to top Go down
http://ourworld.cs.com/KsmithCCI/myhomepage/vacation.html

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:15 pm

Carnival Destiny was my "first" - haven't been on Sensation but, I think Carnival is an EXCELLENT introduction to cruising!  My hint:  have breakfast and lunch in the dining room!  Just be advised that breakfast and lunch are open seating, meaning you will be put at tables with others and not at your assigned dinner table.  However, it's an excellent way to meet new people and it's usually a lot of fun!  Have a blast!!
Back to top Go down
becktours
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
becktours

Number of posts : 382

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeWed Apr 09, 2008 1:53 pm

I toured the Sensation last year! Lots of bright colors!! A very nice ship!
You will love the food! Very Happy My parents took their first cruise last year on the Sensation and had a blast! They are now hooked on cruising too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.becktours.com
DaCruzNut
DaCruzNut

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2008-04-09

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 7:32 pm

In all honesty, unless your extremely sensitive, don't waorry about seasickness. The ships are very large, have flattish bottoms and stabilizers. Except in the oroughest of sea, you won't even know you're on a ship, unless you're on deck...
However...
A little tip...
The only time I started to feel seasick, I was on a small, older ship. 19,000 grt and no staibilizers in 15-20 feet seas. I was starting to feel really queasy. I went to the gift shop, with the intention of getting some Dramamine.
I saw the seasick wrist bands they sell. Small elastic bands with a button on them. I bought them and put them on, button against the vein, as the directions say. Thet are supposed to work by acupressure (like acupuncture). I really didn't think they would work. Imagine my surprise about 20 minutes later when I realized I was starving and couldn't wait for dinner.
No drugs in your system; no drowsiness; drink all you want; no side effects.
Now, I take them on every cruise. I've never needed them again, but glad to know I have them, just in case.
You can get them for about $10.00 at any big drug store.
Back to top Go down
Bibb
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-04-03

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 9:27 pm

Welcome aboard and congratulations on choosing to cruise. As KiethnRita said, watch out; about the second or third day you will feel a slight sting in your side. That's the hook that hooks you on cruising forever.

We've done 18 or so cruises and can't wait until we go again. Right now, we are suffering from the pains of NOT HAVING A CRUISE BOOKED. Crying or Very sad We're looking though.

The best way to get the info you need is ask directly for it. Someone on the board will know the answer. Just remember, "There are no bad cruises; some are just better than others."

Bibb
Back to top Go down
http://bklongcrier.com
Sponsored content

newbie too Empty
PostSubject: Re: newbie too   newbie too Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

newbie too
Page 1 of 1