Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Charleston, South Carolina

Go down 
+2
thevacationstop
NDJollyMon
6 posters
AuthorMessage

Charleston, South Carolina Empty
PostSubject: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:37 pm

Hello Cruise Freeks! I am starting this thread for those of you who will be or would like to visit Charleston, SC. I am a native of South Carolina born just down the road from Charleston on Paris Island. Of come to think of Charleston as home. She is a beautiful city with a very rich history. So if you are cruising into, out of, or just coming down for a visit and have any questions, please feel free to ask. I will provide you with the best information that I have. If I don’t know the answer personally I will find out for you….
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 1:52 pm

I guess I should start one for North Dakota.
I know there are some people that have always dreamed of vacationing here. Current temp...-15F. (but it's a really dry cold!)
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 2:50 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
I guess I should start one for North Dakota.
I know there are some people that have always dreamed of vacationing here. Current temp...-15F. (but it's a really dry cold!)

Ok smart guy. The day a cruise ship makes port in North Dakota is the day I kiss your ugly white butt!
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 3:02 pm

Ron,

My family visits the Charleston area every summer. My in-laws live in the Charleston National community in Mt. Pleasant, right off the 8th green of the golf course. It's really tough having to walk 1 hole to get to the club house to tee-off, but you have to do what you have to do.

We probably won't be there very long this summer, as Jean and I will be flying from there to do the Crystal Baltic cruise in August, while leaving the kids with Grandma and Grandpa.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Dec 24, 2008 5:31 pm

i have a lot in calabash, nc and visit myrtle beach almost every year. but my sisters husband was stationed in charleston and i visited her regularly there and it was a beautiful beautiful city.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 12:56 am

Steve....you don't vacation in ND? Mosquitoes don't come out until the snow melts...in June.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 3:02 pm

Pete, I grew up in Florida, so the skeeters don't bother me. It's that snow and cold that does. When I retire, I'm headed south, not north.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Dec 25, 2008 5:06 pm

Visited Parris Island last June. Our ds graduated from Marine Corps Basic Training. Rented a house in Beaufort. Had a great dinner at Barbara Jean's.

Oh, sorry, but will never visit ND. Okay, should never say never, but it's not real likely that we will get to ND! -15F....dry cold! LOL!

Towanda
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 12:12 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 9:47 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
Ron,

My family visits the Charleston area every summer. My in-laws live in the Charleston National community in Mt. Pleasant, right off the 8th green of the golf course. It's really tough having to walk 1 hole to get to the club house to tee-off, but you have to do what you have to do.

We probably won't be there very long this summer, as Jean and I will be flying from there to do the Crystal Baltic cruise in August, while leaving the kids with Grandma and Grandpa.

It's a hard life. I use to live across from the 18th hole at Village Green. Funny thing is..I don't golf. lol. Now off shore fishing. That I do. I have a buddy with a charter boat. He takes me out several times a year. I love Charleston. Good food, good fishing, and No Pete!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 11:58 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Steve....you don't vacation in ND? Mosquitoes don't come out until the snow melts...in June.
lol!

HA - since I have been to all 50 states, I must have gone to North Dakota. But I can not remember one single thing about it! Other than the fact it was winter!

To be fair, I hear the Peace Garden is nice - would you recommend someone return (in summer of course) just to see that?
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 10:03 pm

Tragically, I drove from the Canadian border to Charleston, SC in the
winter. I had a great time but hit a Noreaster on the way back which took
me 36 hours to get home. I had to deal with accidents, road closures, and
white-outs.

PS. My 2 weeks there were great!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeMon Jan 26, 2009 11:18 pm

We have driven from Montreal down to Hilton Head a little south of Charleston, but we spend two nights at motels on the way down. Was your 36 hours straight through without stopping ?
queen
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 pm

I never left the car. It took long because some roads were so bad the traffic was
moving at times less than 50 km. We also had to pull over and wait out the storm.
It was a freak blizzard that hit the entire North East seaboard. A once in a blue moon sort of thing ,but my dumb luck to be in the middle of it.

I think from where we live the drive should be no more than 18 hours. I have made Jacksonsville, Florida in 24 hrs.

PS. We live in Saranac Lake which is close to Plattsburg, NY. Are you going on
any of the Cunard cruises?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeTue Jan 27, 2009 2:16 pm

I love Charleston it's one of my favorite cities. My mother and sister live about 4 hours west in Greenville. Unfortunately this is another contes I won't be entering since I wouldn't be able to take the cruise Sad

Now I could start a thread for those cruising into Chocago. And yes there actually is a cruise line that cruises the Great Lakes. Unfortunately it goes one way to and from Chicago so unless I cruised back to back I'd still have to fly either to or from a port.
Back to top Go down
stalexka
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: totally hilarious   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
thevacationstop wrote:
Ron,

It's a hard life. I use to live across from the 18th hole at Village Green. Funny thing is..I don't golf. lol. Now off shore fishing. That I do. I have a buddy with a charter boat. He takes me out several times a year. I love Charleston. Good food, good fishing, and No Pete!

We lived in Shadowmoss across from the 1st hole RON!!! Wow... hope no one is counting on Ron for details...
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 6:27 pm

When I visited Charleston, SC it was a working vacation
at Naval Weapons Station, Goose Creek. I loved the people
and did not have time nor money for organized tours. My point
I have been reading some about Charleston and there is a lot
there to see. I just wanted to share some ideas with others.
Charleston Has:

Fort Sumpter ( The first shots fired during the Civil War)
Fort Wagner on Morris island (famed battle site depicted in movie Glory),
The C.S.S. Hunley and its museum (first submarine to sink a vessel),
The many haunted tours(One site boasts John Wilkes Booths fathers ghost),
golf tours, fishing tours, nature tours, plantations, and shopping and dining.

Am I missing anything else?
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate
lordoftime

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:29 pm

I am going to spend aweek in Hilton Head in march, Might get time o nip over to Charleston and check out the haunted haunts Smile affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
I love Charleston it's one of my favorite cities. My mother and sister live about 4 hours west in Greenville. Unfortunately this is another contes I won't be entering since I wouldn't be able to take the cruise

I really need to read things more thoroughly. I was thinking this cruise was for 2009. 2010 works for me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:07 pm

I've always wanted to go to Charleston. Sounds like there is a lot to see and do
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

Oh and one of my nephew's will be attending the College of Charleston next year. He chose it over Clemson for the 2-1 ratio of girls to guys.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:59 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
I've always wanted to go to Charleston. Sounds like there is a lot to see and do

Me too! Well, at least up until I found out Ron lives there! stickingtongueout
My dream is squashed once again....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:01 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
Oh and one of my nephew's will be attending the College of Charleston next year. He chose it over Clemson for the 2-1 ratio of girls to guys.

Isnt that a common reason for choosing a college with kids instead of academics! lol!

Now you have someone to go visit in addition to Ron
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:28 pm

I think his reasoning is better than my neice who chose Univ. Wisconsin - Madison because it's one of the top 5 party schools in the US. Her reason sounds like one I would use
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 4:34 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
I think his reasoning is better than my neice who chose Univ. Wisconsin - Madison because it's one of the top 5 party schools in the US. Her reason sounds like one I would use

Yes UW is known as a party school. My cousin plays on the women's hockey team there....but she is too busy to party.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Charleston, South Carolina   Charleston, South Carolina Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Charleston, South Carolina
Page 1 of 1