Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Want a good laugh?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 8:42 pm

CARNIVAL Freedom beat Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas for Best MegaShip according to the readers of Porthole Magazine. WhenPigsFly

Um, yeah no way. Laughing

Entire list here if you are interested...

http://www.porthole.com/html/ReadersChoice/Awards_ReadersChoice2008.htm
Back to top Go down
Jill T
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jill T

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-08-18

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 8:53 pm

Actually, I agree with the voters on this one, I'll sail Royal Caribbean but, Carnival Freedom isn't like the old Carnival ships. It has everything from MUTS to a great alternative restaurant and personally, I like Carnival's food better.

Hope this isn't going to turn into one of those CC battles between Carnival and Royal Caribbean. Can't we agree that both lines have things to offer passengers that are positive and leave it at that??
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 9:04 pm

Jill T wrote:
Can't we agree that both lines have things to offer passengers that are positive and leave it at that??

No.
roflmao

Just kidding. Kidding!

I don't think there is a better ship than RCCL Freedom class. But that's just me. Wink
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:34 pm

Carnival sux.

J/k...
I do like Royal Caribbean and Princess better, however. To be fair...I haven't sailed either of the ships mentioned. (just those lines)
I have mixed feelings about Carnival...based on my one experience with them.

We cruised Valor...
The rep that checked me in should have been FIRED! I was ready to go home before boarding the ship! I nearly leaped over the counter and choked her! What a total @*$^#$W!&!

They divided my family during the boarding process...which REALLY ticked me off! What a boarding NIGHTMARE!

They totally screwed up our dining assignement. I had to pay the Maitre D...just to get us on the same level as the rest of my 29 family members I had booked with! It sure was nice to see them over the 4 empty tables in between us though.

When we walked down the corridor...we smelled human waste. Sewage...everyday the smell was strong and nasty.

The ship was pretty cool. The layout was kind of goofy to get to the dining room...but ok once you figured out a plan.

If there was 3000 people on the boat...2900 of them were smokers. That promenade area was totally disgusting. My formals stunk just walking through it. I've smelled better after fighting a fire at work. (sorry smokers...that's just the way I feel. You're killing me without my permission) I still love you though...you all keep me out of the unemployment line quite regularly. Thanks.

The cabins were great. I'm not fond of balcony doors that swing...because it's a nuisance moving chairs and hitting people out there.

Oh yea...towel animals are pretty cool...even at my age. Note to cabin steward: Sorry it took you 2 days of changing my sheets to figure out not to put my chocolate on the pillow. Sometimes I have a couple beers, wifes alsleep, I don't turn on the lights...you get the picture. tongue

I loved the food. Can't say one negative thing about it. Straight up good.

Ok...I'm not what you call 'high society' or anything. But I've gotta say something here. I have never seen a game of "cornhole' played on a cruise ship before. (not that I don't like it in a parking lot at a tailgate) But playing it right outside a fancy bar in a beautiful 9 story atrium?? WTH?

Sometimes...I felt like SOME of the people on that ship had no manners, no respect, and no brains! There were guys walking around the buffet grabbing plates of food with no shoes on, no shirts...unless they were wearing gray fur coats...nothing but a speedo. That's just sickening, and unhealthy. Mostly...sickening. Some people just don't think. (happens everywhere I guess)

Overall...I thought the cruise was just...ok. Nothing spectacular. I really did like the rates we received...no one could touch them. Very good value for what we got. I don't expect things to be perfect. Cruise lines can't help rude people running loose...so I don't hold that stuff against them.

Would I book Carnival again....maybe. My wife won't let me. She hated it. Me...I'm pretty easy to please. Low maintenance. I'd cruise in a canoe with a bologna sandwich.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Robert Davidson

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-12-01

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 11:55 pm

Well, I haven't sailed either one, so I guess I'll have to try them both! Heard great things about the RCCL Freedom, but I don't know much about Carnival...
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:40 am

I've only sailed Disney and Carnival (princess next month)...but my view is as long as you are cruising....who's to complain. No cooking or cleaning the whole time, no kids to chauffeur around...life is good Laughing I am very much looking forward to our mystery ship xmas 2010
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:01 am

We've sailed Carnival, it really isn't as bad as people make it out to be and, a lot has to do with itinerary. Would we sail on Carnival in the Caribbean again? Yes, matter of fact we're booking Carnival Dream for Valentine's Day 2010 with Cruise Freeks but not a short cruise - big difference in the crowd. However, in their defense, the cruise we had on Carnival Liberty in 2007 in Europe was fantastic. Great CD, nice new ship, good food, etc. So I think Carnival is hit or miss, at least that's been my experience.

Geez, I hope Joe A doesn't see this post. He was the mastermind behind that whole Carnival = Walmart fiasco over on you know where... The fights that caused No It got ugly fast.

So I'm with Jill T, let's say all the cruise lines are good and there is a line for everyone's taste and leave it alone... This is a bad can of worms!
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:53 am

Our first cruise was on Carnival. It was our honeymoon and we were married in March so it was a spring break cruise which pretty much says it all. This was back when the drinking age on cruise ships was 18. It took me 13 long years to convince my husband to try a 4 day cruise on Royal Caribbean and he was hooked. I convinced him by telling him if we went on the cruise it would be my Christmas present and since he hates to shop it worked. So I where would be willing to try Carnival again but my husband says no way. And since I want to keep cruising I won't be booking Carnival.
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 11:02 am

Nick Needs To Know wrote:
Geez, I hope Joe A doesn't see this post. He was the mastermind behind that whole Carnival = Walmart fiasco over on you know where... The fights that caused No It got ugly fast.

So I'm with Jill T, let's say all the cruise lines are good and there is a line for everyone's taste and leave it alone... This is a bad can of worms!

I remember that post! Laughing

Nick, we are all pretty much respectful of each other over here. I don't think we have anything to worry about with any worms. Wink

I have been on Carnival twice...once in November, a great cruise...and then once in August. Huge mistake. It does depend on the time of year, length of sailing, etc.
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:08 pm

I can remember on the Mariner when we would pull into port next to a Carnival Ship. I would think to myself...I'm so glad I am over hear. Oh course I was in the bathroom outised the pool deck at the time. I'm not sure who's idea it was to put a big window in front of the urinals but it's obvious they didn't think of the days in port. I was holding with one hand and waving at the people taking pictures with the other. Say Pee!! I mean Cheese!! :photos:
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 12:52 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
when we would pull into port next to a Carnival Ship. I would think to myself...I'm so glad I am over hear.

I have to agree, when you are looking at a RCL ship next to a Carnival ship, its just prettier and makes me glad Im on the RCL ship instead. I did give Carnival a 2nd try and in spite of the better beds (sorry I think RCL has hard beds lol), overall I heard the comment from more than one cruiser, they preferred RCL and would be going back. But I like any cruise, especially this time of year that is going where it is warm. I havent so far talked myself into Alaska, hate being cold. Trying to convince myself on Alaska. So, will continue to open my own horizens and I think CruiseFreeks is just the place for it.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 1:59 pm

WOW! I totally forgot how great those Carnival beds were! We LOVED them. My sister went home and bought bedding from Carnival...she liked them that much.

I love ships. I'm a ship guy. Royal Caribbean (IMHO) has the most impressive looking ships afloat. (of course...I may change my mind when I see that QM2~!) But to be honest...I've loved each ship I've been on...some just seem nicer than others.

I am not trying to start a THIS VS.THAT war...just stating what I like and dislike about each. Everyone will have a different view points...and that's great. I'm not saying Carnival is at fault for much of my experience...they weren't. It was individuals that caused much of my problems. I still thought I got a great deal for my money. It was the lowest price I'd ever paid for a cruise. And GOD BLESS CARNIVAL for having a VETERANS DISCOUNT! Other lines should be so grateful! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 2:08 pm

I have been impressed by the generous discounts military people get with Carnival. DH was in the military 24 yrs so we took advantage of it and they allowed us 2 extra cabins at the military rate during one of their friends and family promotions. I did love their beds. I'm afraid the princess beds wont be as comfortable. I read a review that Crystal beds are also really comfy. I sleep like a baby on ships....rocked to sleep. Every cruise is what you make of it...a positive attitude goes a long way!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Penny...you are so right. The beds are better on Carnival than the Princess ships I've been on. Hope Emerald has better ones than Island. Either way...I'm sleeping on them! Hey...nothing is worse than my bed at the Fire House!
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 2:50 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Penny...you are so right. The beds are better on Carnival than the Princess ships I've been on. Hope Emerald has better ones than Island. Either way...I'm sleeping on them! Hey...nothing is worse than my bed at the Fire House!

Pete, don't they spoil you with good food at the fire house or is that a misconception? At least they give you something to lie down on..they dont want you to sleep too sound where it takes too long to wake up
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I agree that CCL does offer some amazing military discounts. When friends of ours were traveling with us, he is in the military, their per person rate was $99 for the adults and less for the 3rd/4th person (the kids). Shocked

They do a great job with that.

As far as the beds....I have only recently been on the new RCCL beds. So I don't remember what the old ones were like.
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 3:02 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
As far as the beds....I have only recently been on the new RCCL beds. So I don't remember what the old ones were like.

They were pretty much cots with a fairly thin mattress and yucky motel type bedspreads. The old beds were the only thing I didn't like about RCCL. Now no complaints.
Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 3:07 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
They were pretty much cots with a fairly thin mattress and yucky motel type bedspreads. The old beds were the only thing I didn't like about RCCL. Now no complaints.

No wonder I blocked it out. Laughing That would have been on beds on Sov in 97 and 98.

Yep, very glad there are new beds now. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 6:34 pm

It's tough to sleep very soundly 50 yards from running jet engines, even on a comfortable bed! Laughing
I call it...broken sleep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Want a good laugh? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Want a good laugh?   Want a good laugh? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Want a good laugh?
Page 1 of 1