Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Cunard in Europe in 2010

Go down 
+27
VJMorrow
Admin
Queen of the Seas
VoyagerOne
NDJollyMon
Jfultz81
darlene
JeanMarie
Loves 2 Cruise
Sean F
Pam M
NOB
English Todd
TV Guy
IliveontheLIE
Kindlychap
Kevin T
Lorraine
Ajani
Life from the Porthole
Zorro
Down The Shore Guy
Lady Jane
Dawns from NJ
Andy The Sailor Man
AmbianceTraveler
Shelia
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage

Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 10:45 am

I'll help this along and explain what is going on here. In 2010, we are going to have a very unique opportunity for those interested in Cunard - we are going to have a group sailing on what is known as a double transit.

What Is A Double Transit?

A
double transit is a cruise that originates in the USA, in this case,
New York and, you take a Transatlantic aboard Queen Mary 2 to
Southampton, England. In Southampton more passengers join the ship and
the ship continues to various ports throughout Europe. Before you
return to the USA via Queen Mary 2 the ship stops to both discharge and
board other passengers. And, then you return to the USA via another
Transatlantic crossing - and that is a double transit cruise.

How long of a trip is it?
A full double transit will be approximately between 20 to 25 days.

Do I have to book all the segments?
No.
The beauty of a double transit is that you can book the segment or
multi-segments that works best for you or you can book the full trip.

What's the cost of a FULL Double Transit?
Prices are expected to be around $6000 per person for the FULL double transit for an inside cabin.

More information can be found here: https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com/Cruise-Freek-Group-Cruise-Cunard-Cruise-Lines-Europe-2010-h61.htm

I imagine Nina and Tina will begin making this sailing more well known as we're coming into the holidays and April will be here before you know it.
Back to top Go down
Shelia
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Shelia

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2008-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:13 am

Thanks Derek Very Happy Time for the Friday bump! ThreadBump
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 21, 2008 10:43 am

Hang in there Shelia, I'm sure we'll start talking about this soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Nov 24, 2008 6:07 pm

Yep, figure by January we'll be starting to get more serious about 2010. The beauty part of offering the double transit is people are going to have a wide variety of choices:

1.) East Bound Tranist and fly back
2.) East Bound Transit with Europe and fly back
3.) Fly in and sail Westbound tranisit
4.) Full double transit

The question is - who's brave enough to be on a ship with me for 20 - 25 days for the full double transit?!?
Back to top Go down
Shelia
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:29 am

Time for the Friday bump!
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 3:58 pm

Hang in there Shelia, I'm sure when Nina gets back and after the Holidays pass we'll kick this thread into high gear Very Happy
Back to top Go down
JeanMarie
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
JeanMarie

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 14, 2008 11:40 am

Just thought I'd give this a bump up
Back to top Go down
Shelia
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Shelia

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:56 am

Sorry I haven't been on much but, Christmas is huge here in Germany, so, I've been running around like a crazy woman! Very Happy Happy Holidays everyone!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:46 pm

Hang in there Shelia, we're almost there! Happy Holidays! HolidayTree
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:50 pm

Derek wrote:
I'd prefer the Mediterranean but, wouldn't say no to a Northern Europe route that included Russia

one day i will get there, i been wanting to go mediterranean but ndjollymon doesn't plan it
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:51 pm

Shelia wrote:
Time for the Friday bump! ThreadBump

what in the world is friday bump
Back to top Go down
Jfultz81
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jfultz81

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 pm

Hi all! My DH and I are one of the double transit winners. We are overwhelmed, excited, and thoroughly grateful to Tina and everyone else who made the contest possible!

We have never been on Cunard and are a bit nervous about the fact that it is a lot more elegant than what we are used to. I guess this is definitely jumping in with both feet! We will definitely be picking everyone's brains about everything Cunard. From looking on their website, I'm assuming that we will be sailing the QM2?

We have not decided yet as to whether we are going to do the full double transit or just partial. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and help decide all the fun stuff that is coming our way!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:20 pm

darlene wrote:
Shelia wrote:
Time for the Friday bump! ThreadBump

what in the world is friday bump

lol! The Friday Bump...

Poor Shelia is stationed in Germany with her husband and won't be able to join any of our Cunard groups until the Double Transit in 2010. We've been talking about this for over a year and every Friday Shelia signs on and gives the thread a bump up so we won't forget about it (like we ever could Very Happy) - and so the Friday Bump was invented.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:21 pm

Jfultz81 wrote:
Hi all! My DH and I are one of the double transit winners. We are overwhelmed, excited, and thoroughly grateful to Tina and everyone else who made the contest possible!

We have never been on Cunard and are a bit nervous about the fact that it is a lot more elegant than what we are used to. I guess this is definitely jumping in with both feet! We will definitely be picking everyone's brains about everything Cunard. From looking on their website, I'm assuming that we will be sailing the QM2?

We have not decided yet as to whether we are going to do the full double transit or just partial. I am looking forward to getting to know you all and help decide all the fun stuff that is coming our way!

Welcome aboard! We think it's going to be QM2 but, we won't know until Cunard releases the 2010 schedules in April. In the meantime, please do ask questions and we'll do our best to help get you ready!
Back to top Go down
Jfultz81
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jfultz81

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 1:52 pm

Ok, questions so far -

Do they offer any kind of drink card (soda, alcohol, coffee, etc.) and what is the cost?

Do they have self-service laundry? If not, are the laundry charges reasonable (this is a long cruise and I'm a serious overpacker.. I'm not airline friendly!)?

Is there a charge for the King's Court restaurant at night (especially the Chef's Galley)?

Do they offer a tuxedo rental onboard? Is there a place I can find a cost or what sizes they offer?

Any idea on how many formal nights we can expect on a 20-25 day journey?

Thanks all.. I'm sure I'll have lots more as I do more research!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Soda cards are a yes - I can't remember exactly, maybe around $3 - $4 per day plus tip and that is for unlimited soft drinks.

Self Laundry
- again yes, prices, not a clue. My wife does the laundry, sorry, maybe someone else has that answer

King's Court - Surcharge no except for the Chef's Gallery which I believe is $35 per person including wine, reservations yes - highly recommended for all venues

Tuxedo Rentals - on-board in the Mayfair Shop, no idea about pricing but, it might be to your advantage (price-wise) to purchase for a cruise of this length

Formal Nights - some of our board members are on Holiday cruises right now, we know for a fact there are 9 formal nights on Queen Victoria for a 15 night sailing, so I would imagine in the range of 10 - 12 for this length of cruise

If anyone has more updated information please feel free to correct me
Back to top Go down
Jfultz81
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jfultz81

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:14 pm

I know that its too early to know what sailing dates will be available.. but I wanted to throw my .02 in. I know we are just the lowly contest winners (hehe, j/k).. but we would really prefer the later in the year sailing (looks like '09 is in Sept/Oct). DH doesn't get his vacation time until July and unfortunately, we have to decide on whether we are accepting the prize by April 1st (and the itineraries probably won't be out, so we don't have much to base our decision on). Just wanted to kind of get everyone's feelings on time of year! Thanks so much!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 26, 2008 1:21 pm

darlene wrote:
Derek wrote:
I'd prefer the Mediterranean but, wouldn't say no to a Northern Europe route that included Russia

one day i will get there, i been wanting to go mediterranean but ndjollymon doesn't plan it

oh...I'm planning it alright. Just need to figure out how to pull it off! I want to go on Carnival Magic Inaug...and I believe that will be Mediterranean...NO?
Can you say....BUCKET LIST CRUISE!? bounce
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:06 pm

Hello, count me in! I'm one of the winners of the Double Transit and am looking forward to it! Not sure what ship, what ports or what dates, but I love Cunard so anything is GREAT! Just a year and a half away... will start counting the days in '09! Happy New Year to all!
Back to top Go down
Jfultz81
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jfultz81

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:18 pm

Congrats, VoyagerOne! We are also one of the winners. Its kind of exciting to not know where we are going! Are you planning on doing the full double transit?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:21 pm

Hey glad to see some action in here - finally, it's been so far away we've been mainly discussing 4th of July and Christmas 2009. We'll be doing the full double transit Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Queen of the Seas
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Queen of the Seas

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:31 pm

G'day from down under! We were hoping to be able to join you for the Christmas 2009 sailing but, it doesn't look like it's going to be possible, however, we do seem to be free for your 2010 double transit and, hope to be able to join you then!

Elise
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:34 pm

Hey Elise, was wondering if you gave up on us or not. Haven't seen you for a while, welcome back!
Back to top Go down
Jfultz81
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jfultz81

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:42 pm

Hi Elise! Hope you're able to join us!

Question for guys - how many sport jackets, suits, and tuxes do you normally take?

Last year, we each had 1 checked and 1 carryon and didn't take any formalwear! We're definitely going to be lining the airline's pockets on this one!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 4:49 pm

Jfultz81 wrote:
Hi Elise! Hope you're able to join us!

Question for guys - how many sport jackets, suits, and tuxes do you normally take?

Last year, we each had 1 checked and 1 carryon and didn't take any formalwear! We're definitely going to be lining the airline's pockets on this one!

This is Cunard and formal is the word. Normally - for a long sailing such as this one will be - I take one tux with three shirts, two suits and one sports jacket. Lots of ties for me too, I'm not exactly a neat eater Rolling Eyes The good news is there is self laundry on-board and dry cleaning if you need it, so, that can help cut down on the amount you pack.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cunard in Europe in 2010   Cunard in Europe in 2010 - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cunard in Europe in 2010
Page 5 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next