Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?

Go down 
+2
NOB
Green Irish Eyes
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Green Irish Eyes
Charter Member
Charter Member
Green Irish Eyes

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2007-08-12

Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Empty
PostSubject: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 4:33 pm

Neil,

More than likely we're booking the Grand Princess Christmas Cruise. I have a GREAT gown I just bought on sale but, it's velvet. Will I be out of place?

Thanks
Back to top Go down
NOB
Resident Expert - Fashions
Resident Expert - Fashions
NOB

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 8:05 pm

Green Eyes,

Velvet IS very acceptable and worn in the Caribbean for the holidays, in fact, it's acceptable from November - March. So go ahead, take that gown and enjoy!

Neil
Back to top Go down
plainjane83
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeTue Jan 29, 2008 5:57 pm

I see nothing wrong with it- though many hate it for the caribbean- funny thing though-I read this on messageboards-no velvet- but every caribbean cruise I have taken- has plenty of velvet. (9 cruises in the caribbean -13 cruises total so far)

Personally I don't wear it-because I am hot natured and it has to be cold for me to wear velvet-but I see nothing wrong with those-especially those who are cold natured-wearing velvet.
Back to top Go down
MrsMoose
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 18

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeWed Jan 30, 2008 11:19 am

plainjane83 wrote:
I see nothing wrong with it- though many hate it for the caribbean- funny thing though-I read this on messageboards-no velvet- but every caribbean cruise I have taken- has plenty of velvet. (9 cruises in the caribbean -13 cruises total so far)

Personally I don't wear it-because I am hot natured and it has to be cold for me to wear velvet-but I see nothing wrong with those-especially those who are cold natured-wearing velvet.

personally I would not wear velvet in the carribean regardless of what time of year. That's why you see "resort wear" and "cruisewear" advertised durign the winter months for people heading to warmer climates.

But with that said, if you are comfy in it and you are happy, then why not? You are not hurting anyone and you are still dressing up
Back to top Go down
plainjane83
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 26

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 1:25 pm

Is the whole gown velvet or are you just talking about a wrap or shrug?
a wrap or shrug can be put with a summery gown and not look so out of place-and sometimes you do need a wrap. Most ships sell the acrylic faux pashmina shawls-they are huge-but I prefer my cashmere and silk one that is the "real" thing to them.

I do feel a velvet wrap would look much better then those acrylic faux pashminas-I would pick that before I would wear one of them.

Also, my daughter had one gown yearsa go when she was still a teenager, it was halter style, mostly taffeta, but it had a tiny amount of vlevet trim. She did wear this gown one caribbean cruise with a velvet shrug and she did not look out of place. We were on Carnival that cruise.

Now we have never been on a line like Regent or Oceania, but we have been on premium lines like HAL and Celebrity and you do see less velvet on those lines-plenty on Carnival though, and I also saw a good bit on Princess.
Back to top Go down
JeanMarie
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
JeanMarie

Number of posts : 45
Registration date : 2007-09-23

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 31, 2008 3:40 pm

NOB wrote:
Green Eyes,

Velvet IS very acceptable and worn in the Caribbean for the holidays, in fact, it's acceptable from November - March. So go ahead, take that gown and enjoy!

Neil

Thanks Neil, I often buy velvet gowns and then wonder if I did the right thing, as a result I've never worn a velvet gown in the Caribbean...YET but, now that I know it's "acceptable", I think I'll enjoy some that I have hanging in my closet!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 1:43 pm

well i am cold no matter where i go - and that includes the caribbean - so not only would i wear velvet but i'd probably have a wrap on too.
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 9:01 pm

As I am usually cold in the dining rooms, why not wear velvet? It's a very "Holiday Season" look & it is a Holiday Season cruise...so go for it....just my opinion as my teenage daughter will gladly tell you that I am no fashion afficiando! LOL!

Towanda
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?   Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is Velvet Ok For The Caribbean at Christmas?
Page 1 of 1