Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell me about the cunard cruise experience

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Diamond Dave
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Diamond Dave

Number of posts : 190
Registration date : 2007-09-10

Tell me about the cunard cruise experience Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about the cunard cruise experience   Tell me about the cunard cruise experience Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 11:57 am

I just got done reading your proposal for Christmas in 2009. I might be interested but so far I've only sailed Princess and Royal Caribbean (as you can see by my signature). What can someone coming over from these mainstream cruise lines expect when coming over to Cunard?

Here are my questions:

1) I know Cunard is more formal. Are jackets and ties required every evening for dinner?

2) Is Cunard still on a class system?

3) How would you describe the passenger mix on Cunard?
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the cunard cruise experience   Tell me about the cunard cruise experience Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 1:04 pm

Diamond Dave wrote:
I just got done reading your proposal for Christmas in 2009. I might be interested but so far I've only sailed Princess and Royal Caribbean (as you can see by my signature). What can someone coming over from these mainstream cruise lines expect when coming over to Cunard?

Here are my questions:

1) I know Cunard is more formal. Are jackets and ties required every evening for dinner?
Cunard is more formal then other mainstream cruise lines and I would plan on a jacket almost every night but for the Elegent casual evenings you could forget the tie. Caribbean sailings are more informal then European & Transatlantic crossings.

Define class system? Cunard sells 3-4 types of cabins, Inside, oceanview & balcony staterooms(On QM2 & QV) are Britannia, Princess Grill & Queens Grill Suites are considered Grill. The Grill categories (suites) have seperate dining rooms and a private lounge, preferred embarkation and several other perks you would expect a suite price to include. However, with the exception of the private lounge and restuarant, the whole rest of the ship is accesible to all of the passengers.

Very mixed! However, what they all have in common is the love of a more refined and traditional cruise experience and the desire to explore and enrich their lives. If you like Princess you should enjoy Cunard. However, the only way to find out is to try it for yourself!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
The Sophisticated Cat
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Sophisticated Cat

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the cunard cruise experience   Tell me about the cunard cruise experience Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 4:15 pm

Diamond Dave wrote:

Here are my questions:

You can expect Cunard to be more formal overall but in no way does that mean stiff!!

Formal: Black tie or formal dark suit for gentlemen. Evening dress or other formal attire for ladies.

Semiformal: Jacket and tie for gentlemen. Cocktail dress or trouser suit for ladies. No jeans.

Elegant casual: Jacket, no tie required for genetlemen. Dress, skirt or trousers for ladies. No shorts or jeans.

You can read this information here: http://cunard.com/FAQ/faq.asp?Cat=&View=ViewArticle&Mode=News&ContentID=3671&LeftNav=&Active=&Sub=&OB=&ArticleID=11

As far as a class system, it only applies at dinner time. And, at that the differences are very subtle - Princess and Queen Grill accommodations have their own dining rooms and it's single seating. This means the table assigned to you is yours for the entire cruise and you may eat when you wish. Everyone else has traditional dining either late or early sitting in the main dining room. Just note that QM2 now has a Category AA that is also single seating venue. Queens and Princess Grill menus have the same items as the main dining room except a few more choices are given to them. Other than dining, the only other thing I can think of is the Queen's Grill lounge which is exclusively for Princess and Queen's Grill passengers.

Passenger mix is usually a stong mix of British and Americans with a smaller representation from other countries onboard, especially for TranAtlantic crossings. Shorter American based cruises tend to be heavily American and even more specifically most from the NYC area or at least a heavy concentration from the area. Caribbean Cruises again usually have a healthy mix of British and Americans. Generally speaking, the longer the cruise, the more countries will be represented in the passenger mix.

Hope this helps and you SHOULD consider the holiday cruise. I see you're a Princess elite guest so if you enjoy the more laid back atmosphere of Princess, Cunard should be an easy transition fo you!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the cunard cruise experience   Tell me about the cunard cruise experience Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 4:26 pm

Well here's my experience...

On my last Royal Caribbean cruise, I noticed that at least half the passengers gave the main dining room a pass on the second formal night. They opted for the Windjammer buffet. Those that did partake in the formal experience were more likely to be dressed in a dark suit and tie or a modest sundress/pants suit rather than a full blown Tuxedo or ball gown.

Even then, directly after the meal, many passengers changed back into casual attire. I would also estimate only a few hundred passengers actually attended the Captains formal cocktail party (the chance to shake the Masters hand) out of over three thousand passengers onboard.

Now on CUNARD...

Formality is taken much more seriously. On evening designated as 'Formal' you will find many Tuxedo's, complete with black bow ties and cummerbunds, and full length ball gowns, complete with lots of 'bling'. Very few passengers abandon the formal meals for the buffet; in fact most seemed to relish the opportunity to dress up.

And, judging by the long line, it would appear that nearly every passenger attended the Captain's formal cocktail party which was held twice to accommodate the two diner sittings.

I'll take formality over the jeans crowd any day of the week - I just can't always afford to do it so that's why I still book Royal Caribbean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about the cunard cruise experience   Tell me about the cunard cruise experience Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tell me about the cunard cruise experience
Page 1 of 1