Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best way to book excursions?....

Go down 
+4
Hopeful Henry
newmexiconita
cruisequeen
mytee4ever
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

Best way to book excursions?.... Empty
PostSubject: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 1:47 pm

Is it better to book with the cruise line or try to find an independent operator?

Trying to decide if I should book now on the Carnival website, wait until we board or find someone locally when we arrive.

We are doing 4 night from San Diego to Cabo. I'm thinking of the Cabo Land & Sea tour.

Towanda
Back to top Go down
cruisequeen
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2007-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 5:01 pm

If you have never cruised before or if you feel uncomfortable at a port - then book through the cruise line. It's safe, easy and regulated.
We have been on 11 cruises and now book on shore or prior to going because we have been to most ports and know what kind of tours to look for. Generally, we book a cab for a couple hours and that way we can do what we want for the most part. We also have booked with companies we know and have talked to on shore. For instance, there is a tour in St. Thomas called Sunny Liston Tours. He is wonderful! We have had the best time with him and recommnd booking with him prior to leaving. You don't have to pay up front and it's less expensive then the cruise line tours.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cruisesnyou.com
newmexiconita
NCL Host
NCL Host

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 6:14 pm

Our first few cruises we booked through the cruise line. We felt more comfortable, now we do our own thing most of the time. Either we research and book prior to sailing or we get off the ship and look for a tour guide. The exception: if the tour is going to be over 4 hours and we are concerned about arriving back to the ship before sailing we use the ship's tours. One time we almost didn't make it. Talk about a group of nervous ninnies, that was us.

Nita
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSun Sep 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks for the advice. We have never been to this port, so I think I will go with the cruise line and probably book on-line. I think the one I have in mind is at least 4 hours. Missing the ship would be a very bad thing!affraid

Towanda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 9:25 am

for us it depends on the port, how long we're there and what the cruise line is offering. a lot of times, just for the sake of convenience we'll book with the cruise line, but several times we've purchased excursions at www.shoretrips.com and have been very happy with them.
Back to top Go down
Hopeful Henry
Host
Host
Hopeful Henry

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeMon Sep 10, 2007 10:49 am

I've been on the fence about trying shoretrips.com and I keep hearing positive things about them - however, I'm a bit of a worrywort and I'm always afraid we won't get back to port in time and thus always end up booking through the cruise line Sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 9:28 pm

Hopeful Henry--- give me a call at my office-- 800-869-0674-- Mon-Fri 1030am-6pm or shoot me an email at
bobd@worldviewtravel.com

I'll be happy to answer your questions and offer advice about booking on your own-- which I highly recommend over the ships tours. I've do this itinerary several times a year and will be happy to assist.
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSun Oct 07, 2007 9:33 pm

I am giving another recommendation for www.shoretrips.com I have used them many times and even had them customize a few trips for a group of 45 seniors that went to Hawaii. They offered wonderful/professional service, were on time with everything and had great prices. Plus, they are easy to work with.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
ISLAND BOY

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-07-11

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 3:21 pm

I think booking on the Islands is better, becaurse you save money plus you get more info from the tour guide.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Jul 31, 2008 5:47 pm

I use all different methods. If I want to do something specific at port...I first try to find an excursion through cruise forum recommendations. (like the other poster stated about Sunny Liston...a tour we've taken throught this method and LOVED!)
You can usually find a zillion reviews on different excursions this way.

If it's something that takes up most of a day...I usually book with the cruise line. I don't want any chance of missing the ship, and leave the logistics up to the cruise line. Yea, sometimes you are with a large group on a 'cattle boat' or bus...but it's worth it. (less stress...and who needs stress? I'm on vacation!)

Sometimes, if I just want to...go see Atlantis Resort and hit the beach...I will grab a taxi, or use a tour operator right at the pier. I have found these to be...some of the best tours we've taken! They are always cheap, informative, fun, and it always surprises me. Always much better than I expect. The problem is...it's a gamble...and can be a little stressful trying to find someone that will do what you want...and you aren't really guaranteed to be reliable/good/regulated/etc.

What you do? I say...try what you feel comfortable with.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:52 am

Hi everyone,
Our family and friends always book private tours in each port. We have never missed the cruise ship in over 20 cruises. We always just plan to be back on board at least an hour before sailing. It is so wonderful to read the various travel boards and reviews, and the posters are so helpful. I personally just like to be able to have some flexibility in the day's plans. I truly appreciate the cruise forums for the tips.
kk
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 5:44 pm

Hi All,

Which private tour operator would you recommend in Ocho Rios? I want to go to Dunn's River Falls and there are so many tour operators that have been recommended that I'm a little confused as to which one to go with.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeWed Dec 17, 2008 2:45 am

Phil Lafayette gets really high marks. We've only done ship's excursions in Ocho Rios, though, and we enjoyed the river tubing and Mystic Mountain tours very much. Both times we've been in Ocho Rios, people on our cruise have done Dunn's River and while most enjoyed, at least one or two have had bad falls and there have been some broken bones, as well as scrapes and scratches, so be careful, make sure to bring good reef shoes and take your time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 3:57 pm

I'm 28 days from my cruise and I havent booked any excursions..yikes! DH said he would be happy on the ship...he loves sea days. I guess after the holidays I will have to scramble for excursions. I've just been too busy to deal with it right now. Hope everything isnt booked. Thanks for the advice everyone
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 4:05 pm

You will love the Ruby - just gorgeous!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 4:26 pm

I know I will love her...never been on a brand new ship before.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:03 pm

We were on the second cruise and the ship still had a 'new car' smell - crew is all really enthusiastic and happy to be there. Do try and catch the new shows - both are good, and the Dream one is really different - multi-media, very innovative.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:06 pm

I will try and do it all!!! Hope I wont be too tired..I tend to get up early to go to the gym...but it's my first cruise without kids so I might change my routine.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 6:00 pm

Penny...you are so disciplined on vacation!

I wake up, and wonder where I'll have my morning Bloody Mary! WooHoo
Back to top Go down
RKlein
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
RKlein

Number of posts : 61
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeSun Jan 18, 2009 11:19 pm

Granted we have only been on two cruises but I have never booked an excursion with the cruise line. With proper planning an research you can usually see and do more without the "cattle car" and "cadillac" price.

Have rented cars on islands and taken taken taxis. Both worked fine. Get with another couple and rent a taxi for the day and tell them what you want to see and do. It works. The only thing would be if it is an exotic destination. You can even rent a boat the same way.

Good luck
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 1:21 pm

The main reason I prefer to go with the ship tours: the ship will wait for you if you are running late on one of "their" excursions but will NOT if you are doing something independent. For most excursions I have done the difference is just a few dollars which are well worth the peace of mind for me. And the tours are usually well vetted or the ship would not do business with them

I agree that on islands it is usually fine to do it on your own or even grab a ride or tour from those hawking them on the piers. You can not get TOO far from the ship on an island. Or it seems that way in my mind at least, though of course there are exceptions to that so I wouldn't stray too far.

The more well known ports such as St. Petersburg, Russia, have reputable independent tours that can be found by doing your own research, and allow a more "private" experience whether pricier or not.

When in a port such as Livorno, Italy, however - or any ports that afford you the chance to get more than an hour from the ship, you do so at your own risk. If the ship is in port overnight, it isn't as big an issue, but be careful. The last time I was there, we had a great time sharing a taxi to Pisa with shipmates. It was less than an hour away, we stayed an hour or two, and made it back to the ship for lunch. The cost per person was about $25, which was half of what the ship charged for the same trip.

Those that took a longer trip - booking their own train travel to Florence, were not so glad they did. The Italian rail system went on strike out of the blue on their return, forcing everyone off at some unfamiliar village more than fifty miles from the port. Our tablemates and a number of the show's dancers were very lucky to find enough taxis to get back to the ship five minutes before we sailed. The performers would have lost their jobs and the passengers would have been on their own to catch up with the ship at the next port had they not been able to find those cabs in time.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 2:10 pm

I've been on a shore excursion (bought through the cruise line) where the ship had to wait for us to get back. We were on a snorkeling trip in St. Thomas. They rolled up the gang plank behind us. We had to RUN down the pier! Cool, but not cool. Had it been a non-ship excursion....we would have been left behind.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best way to book excursions?....   Best way to book excursions?.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best way to book excursions?....
Page 1 of 1