Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
trixidixie
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Empty
PostSubject: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 08, 2007 7:00 pm

Have a question about heli excursions in Hilo/Kona, Big Island.

Is there enough time to take the full island flight (the one that leaves Hilo, flies to Kona and then back to Hilo again)? Some are saying that it leaves at 12 noon and the ship departs 1 pm. Do not get that.

Also, is ship time the local time where the ship is docked at?

Thanks.

Cassandra "Poi Deploy Pirate Crew" pirat

cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 1:17 am

Cassandra,

I'll try to help you, but can you please be more specific. Which ship are you sailing on? Is this a ships excursion or private on?
Back to top Go down
Love2Hula
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Love2Hula

Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 2:27 am

Also - your ship time should be the same as island time. If you are doing a circle cruise, you will already be on the right time. If you are cruise to the islands from the West Coast you will change time as you make your way over the Pacific.
Back to top Go down
trixidixie
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 17

PostSubject: RE:   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeFri Aug 10, 2007 8:53 am

RDeagazio wrote:
Cassandra,

I'll try to help you, but can you please be more specific. Which ship are you sailing on? Is this a ships excursion or private on?

We are sailing on the Radiance of the Seas October 21, 2007 cruise. And it is a ship sponsored shore excursion.

pirat
affraid
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeSat Aug 11, 2007 4:10 am

If it's a ship's excursion you shouldn't have to worry about the timing. All ship excursions are based on the times in port.
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2007 11:44 am

A little off your topic but...
If you like coffee then you must search around the little side streets in Kona until you find Samuri Coffee. It is just a little (and I mean little!) coffee shop but they have wonderful service (they will explain all about Hawaiian coffees) and help you pick out a coffee based on what you like. They also have very unique and yummy fruit spreads (passion fruit is my fav) and offer free samples. Makes for a very unique experience. Also, if you get off the ship and turn right and go down I think about a mile there is a local farmers market. lots of non-touristy stuff. If you run into "the Orchid Lady" she will give you a full lesson and box up a plant for the trip home for you. Mine came back beautiful and I had no problems through customs.

Have a great trip!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
Love2Hula
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Love2Hula

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2007 8:14 pm

AmbianceTraveler wrote:
A little off your topic but...
If you like coffee then you must search around the little side streets in Kona until you find Samuri Coffee. It is just a little (and I mean little!) coffee shop but they have wonderful service (they will explain all about Hawaiian coffees) and help you pick out a coffee based on what you like. They also have very unique and yummy fruit spreads (passion fruit is my fav) and offer free samples. Makes for a very unique experience. Also, if you get off the ship and turn right and go down I think about a mile there is a local farmers market. lots of non-touristy stuff. If you run into "the Orchid Lady" she will give you a full lesson and box up a plant for the trip home for you. Mine came back beautiful and I had no problems through customs.

Have a great trip!

Great! we are spending a little over a week in Kona next Christmas, so I will add Samuri Coffee to my list of research. Thanks!!

Is the farmers market only on certain days?
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 4:25 pm

I am not sure if it is every day, we were there for a port stop while on the Norwegian Wind, have to think back now, I believe it was a Tuesday.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
Love2Hula
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Love2Hula

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 25, 2007 11:07 pm

That sounds right... I think my friend sait it is on certain days. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitimeTue Dec 09, 2008 4:31 am

There are a few farmer's markets around the Kona area, some are 'semi-permanent,' with booths and roofed areas, some in parking lots around and about. There's one on Ali'i Drive more or less across from Casa de Emdeko condo complex. It is open Tues to Sun. The International Market is fairly near the pier in Kona - permanent area with roofing, and on ship days, there has been a shuttle. Can give walking directions if needed. There are a lot of local craftspeople at that one, a permanent coffee shop, some farm vendors off and on. This one has taken a big hit with the loss of the two NCL ships and the current drop in tourism. The 'real' farmers market is in the parking lot on Ali'i Drive across from Bubba Gumps and next to the public library. Used to just be weekends, but I've seen vendors down there from time to time during the week as well and they may be doing NCL ship days. There are some local coffee farmers who sell off the back of pickup trucks on the road above Costco - good coffee and good prices. There are a fair number of places you can pick up orchid plants, but you need to be careful about the ag inspections on the way out, especially if you are flying from Hawaii. You probably want to be careful and get one that has been pre-certified, as the ag folks can confiscate and also have hefty fines.

Kohaladonah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions   Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hawaii - Kona/Hilo Excursions
Page 1 of 1