Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW

Go down 
+5
PRTTravel
taurus988
spruce120
Murphy
Admin
9 posters
AuthorMessage

RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Empty
PostSubject: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:25 am

I was just watching the news, and listening to all the reports of all the flooding issues, and I wanted to let all our freeks know,especially in North Dakota, you are in our thoughts, and our prayers that all of you stay safe. RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Smiley-angelic001
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:01 am

Keeping our board members in the effected areas in my thoughts and prayers
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:16 am

Please stay high and dry! I'll be thinking of you all through the weekend!
Back to top Go down
spruce120
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Red River   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:42 am

Thank you for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers. I just heard this a.m. that a levee in Fargo gave way at one point, and that the river is now expected to crest as high as 47 feet. This is not good news. I understand that the downtown area of Fargo is now on alert for imminent flooding. God be with all of those people and helpers.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:50 am

Adding my thoughts & prayers to all those effected!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 9:58 am

pete must be so busy sandbaggin his butt off. well he's usually here sandbaggin us. no really - this natural disaster stuff is terrible and i pray you and all your loved ones will be safe - get hilo out there to drag those bags where they need to go. i'm just sitting here with friends enjoying the french toast bagels they brought me this morning and you don't realize how tough things are outside your little world.
Back to top Go down
PRTTravel
Travel Agent and Bi-Lingual Host
Travel Agent and Bi-Lingual Host

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 11:57 am

Zoinks! Hang in there, Pete!
Back to top Go down
Cruising Rays
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruising Rays

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 7:56 pm

Watching the news today and last nite....Our hearts and thoughts go out to all in the affected areas.

Prayers to the residents and all that are there helping out during this disaster.

Stay safe Pete.

Kim and Mike
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:11 pm

Hey thanks everyone!
Mother Nature can be pretty cruel. Right in the middle of all this overland and river flooding...we got about a foot of snow in 2 days.

Fargo is south of us, and the river flows North...right to us. A number of other rivers flow into the Red on the way to us as well. In 1997, the crest here reached about 54.5 feet...and became THE FLOOD OF THE MILLENIUM. There was even a Discovery Channel Special about it. Pretty much wiped out our city...and many more. The Red River was over 10 miles wide is some spots. (yea...our house is 9 blocks from the river...we were IN it)

This city took great strides to better protect us from future floods, and it took 10 years to complete. This will be the first REAL test of the new system...and we have our fingers crossed. The river will have 2 crests in Grand Forks...it will arrive in a few more days, and the second crest when all this snow melts...it will surge again.

If you've ever lost to Mother Nature...such as in a flood, fire, hurricane, tornado...or other disaster...you know the feeling. Floods like this come with warning...and we have time to prepare. Sometimes we win...sometimes we lose. In a fire, tornado, or earthquake...it usually comes with loss of life...and there isn't much time to prepare. (if any)
Living through the first disaster...makes you realize how much in everyday life we take for granted.

We sit here with our fingers crossed...and we hope, we help, and we prepare, and pray.
Thanks for caring! I'll keep you posted. If I don't...the electricity is shut off. :-)

The Red River of the North in 1997: You can see the tree lines where the river usually is...

RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW View5
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeFri Mar 27, 2009 10:56 pm

Wow, that picture is something Pete! Hopefully it won't be as bad as predicted, but keep safe regardless!!! We will worry if we don't hear from you, so get your battery back up charged will you?? !!
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 1:45 am

I have been sandbagging for the last 5 days and I am exhausted! I am not used to that much work! The FargoDome has been full with people sandbagging around the clock. It is awesome to see everyone pitching in and doing what they can.

While my house will not be affected I have a lot of friends who will be. You drive down their streets and it literally looks like a war zone, with all the army trucks, the streets covered in mud and their lawns tore up from the bobcats hauling in sandbags. It’s crazy.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 10:10 am

ATV_Road_Rash wrote:
I have been sandbagging for the last 5 days and I am exhausted! I am not used to that much work! The FargoDome has been full with people sandbagging around the clock. It is awesome to see everyone pitching in and doing what they can.

While my house will not be affected I have a lot of friends who will be. You drive down their streets and it literally looks like a war zone, with all the army trucks, the streets covered in mud and their lawns tore up from the bobcats hauling in sandbags. It’s crazy.

Disasters like this do often bring the community together. Thank you for what you are doing and our prayers to you, your family and community as you deal with this. Bless you.
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 11:03 am

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in your area. Please stay safe!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 2:43 pm

Everything here is still under control. Sandbagging continues in the low lying areas near the river and coulees. New Snow is not melting yet...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 2:45 pm

hey pete - on cnn.com they say it might be going down.??
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 9:58 am

The flood waters in Fargo have crested and are very slowly receding one inch at a time, so the water will be staying around for the next week at least.

And if things couldn’t get any worse, Interstate 94 is closed from the Montana border to Bismarck because of a snow storm and it’s heading this way. Fargo is expecting 6-10 inces of snow and wind gusts of 35 mph for today and tomorrow. Can’t wait for that. Not!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 10:59 am

We'll get that snow today too.
We still have 12 inches on the ground to melt...so there will be more than one CREST of the rivers. GF is still hanging in there...

Here's a link to the FLOODCAM:
It sits downtown Grand Forks on the Red River. The opposite shore is MN.

FLOOD CAM
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:10 am

This is the Sorlie Bridge over The Red River of the North. When I canoe this river in the summer months...it's about 25 or 30' above my head.
The river is still rising here...

RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW N830105787_6368895_7929912
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:12 am

Oh yea, there is another BLIZZARD bearing down on us...stay tuned! :coldout:
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 12:56 am

Hey man, hope you can somehow keep dry. Keep yourself and all around you safe!

Dan
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitimeTue Mar 31, 2009 11:03 am

Thanks Dan! Gday
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW   RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RED RIVER EXPECTED TO CREST TOMORROW
Page 1 of 1