Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Budpapest Port location

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-20

Budpapest Port location Empty
PostSubject: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:37 pm

Does anyone know where in Budapest the boat will be docked on the Danube? I know the river flows through the centre of the city but it's a long city and it could be anywhere.

If anyone finds out, please let us know.

Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:39 pm

VoyagerOne wrote:
Does anyone know where in Budapest the boat will be docked on the Danube? I know the river flows through the centre of the city but it's a long city and it could be anywhere.

If anyone finds out, please let us know.

Thanks! Smile
I want to know that too!
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeWed Jan 14, 2009 10:52 pm

Great, then we'll find out together. I think it may have been you that brought it up in the chat earlier. I had hoped someone would answer but they didn't. When we took a Danube cruise for the Christmas Markets last year. The tour started in Budapest but we took a bus from there through Bratislava into Vienna which is where we picked up the boat. Since we are starting in Budapest this time, I have no clue where to go.

Good to meet you. How many of you are traveling?
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 2:00 am

It looks like the ships dock all the way through the city! I suppose we won't know which dock until VR tells us in the literature. (unless they always use the same one?
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:30 am

Hi, all When I boarded my river boat cruise in Budapest it was docked very near the big bridge that connect Buda with Pest. It wasn't to far from the Market which was a fun place to wander through. A large flea market type with the locals and their "linen's and things". Lots of fun buys for tourists. The market was both covered and in the streets.

Sometimes the boats will dock and hook up to each other so when you board you may have to walk across several other boats to get to yours. It was weird when we got on ours we walked through (across) a grand circle and a uniworld boat...fun to see a little of the others.

SO they generally do not know where they will board until the documents are printed but they give a "general area".
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 3:58 am

That's great. Good to know that at least they are central and not in some distant isolated spot. We'll just look for them when we leave the hotel and tell the cab driver "River Boats, please!" Wink How fun! Looking forward to meeting everyone onboard.

If anyone gets a chance, I highly recommend visiting the Gellert Spa and Baths. The city is famous for its many natural hot water springs and baths. But these are magnificent. A real treat and an amazing experience. Oh, and so NOT expensive. http://www.gellertbath.com/ The entrance runs about 13 Euros. This price includes entrance to both the swimming pool and the men's and women's
thermal facilities. It also includes a
cabin rental, where you can change clothes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:16 am

http://www.allreaders.com/Topics/Info_26462.asp

Russka is a good book by David Rutherford that was some good reading ..a historical novel but it introduced the history of Russia and Peter the Great. This is a pretty thick book that at first frightened me away from picking it up and reading it but once I started I found the fictional part fun and the historical part facinating. AND THEN when I went to St Petersburg I could really get into it. (Secretly I got it in 1990 when I cruised to the Black Sea and went back and skimmed it again in 2008 before I went to St. Petersburgs... The book helped to understand why the buildings and city was built the way it was. A SWAMP and canals, the Venice of the North and a touch of EUROPE... all have a historical meaning. Enjoy your cruise to the Baltic. I did.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 10:28 am

VoyagerOne wrote:
That's great. Good to know that at least they are central and not in some distant isolated spot. We'll just look for them when we leave the hotel and tell the cab driver "River Boats, please!" Wink How fun! Looking forward to meeting everyone onboard.

If anyone gets a chance, I highly recommend visiting the Gellert Spa and Baths. The city is famous for its many natural hot water springs and baths. But these are magnificent. A real treat and an amazing experience. Oh, and so NOT expensive. http://www.gellertbath.com/ The entrance runs about 13 Euros. This price includes entrance to both the swimming pool and the men's and women's
thermal facilities. It also includes a
cabin rental, where you can change clothes.
I think we are going to try to go to the baths! Do you know if they have other spa facilities there too? I'm looking for a place to get a massage...
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Spas. Yes. there are a lot of baths and spas all over town. However, the massages at the typical Hungarian baths are not at all to the level or style of the massages you are most likely used to from the US. You'll want to stick to the more up-scale spa treatment centers and not the thermal bath massages. You'll pay a LOT more, but it'll be about equivalent to what you will find in the US at a nice spa. We tried the massage at the Gellert Spa and bath and experienced major culture shock. We were led into a large tile room, together, told to lay down on plastic tables and we were in a large open room with two older, large men massaging people side by side, like an assembly line, chatting away loudly, wearing nothing more than Speedos! Then we understood why it was so cheap. pale As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. Maybe for some, but we didn't love it.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 9:34 am

Thanks for that info Phillip! All I can say is EEWWW, that's not for me either! I'm sure the concierge at the hotel can recommend a place for massage that is more to by liking! I don't fly well and my ankles swell and I found that a good massage helps out. I'm hoping the thermal baths may help with that as well!
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitimeSat Jan 17, 2009 9:47 am

Sure thing. We passed by several nice spas that offered the true spa treatment with robes and calming music. It's there... depending on which hotel you stay at, many times they have them in-house as well. Good luck and enjoy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Budpapest Port location   Budpapest Port location Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Budpapest Port location
Page 1 of 1