Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

An idea on contest posts

Go down 
+3
Cruising Rays
flowers
Triangle
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

An idea on contest posts Empty
PostSubject: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 1:32 am

In the previous contests, we post answers to the board, which for contests like the song contest, or the I never win contests works great.

For the contests that involve guessing a location, cabin # or some other information requiring the contestant to do research to obtain the answer, I think it might be better to have the guesses "messaged" rather than posted. A fake member could be created, ie Mrs. Contest, to receive the guesses. This would do 2 things, one it would require members to do their own work to figure out the answer, and two, it would mean nobody else would see what an idiot I am when I guess wrong Smile

Members guessing correctly can still be recognized in a posting at the contest end.

Am I making sense, or just making more work for Tina?
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 1:41 am

It makes a lot of sense to me. Don't know how Tina might feel about it though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:15 am

I agree, great idea Triangle!

I think that if we had to PM the answers to a member like "ContestGuess", then it would allow the answers to be

#1 time coded
#2 unable to be replicated/copied by others who simply grab another's answer just to post an answer
#3 wouldn't block/overflow Tina's inbox because it would be a separate mail box
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:53 pm

Maybe I'm naive, but to me just offering a bottle of $30 wine on my next CF cruise would be more than enough to keep a lot of folks playing. .... at least those of us who just like playing for the fun of it.

.... a smaller incentive would also perhaps cut down on the cheating?
Back to top Go down
Cruising Rays
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruising Rays

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:06 pm

Hi...

I tend to agree also with having to PM the answer on guessing contests. But as we have seen sometimes the most popular answer is not always the right one. But I still like the idea of PMing.

Kim
Back to top Go down
pmfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 11:19 pm

ImNewHere , but I do agree with what Triangle is saying. Great idea!
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:14 am

For what it is worth, I have won enough cruises already, and would be willing to pass up my chance at this one. Therefore, I would volunteer to have the messages PM'd to me. I do not want them emailed to me, as I get so much email already, I'm afraid they may get lost. However, having them go to my PM box here would be fine. If it is easy enough to set up a special PM mailbox though, that is a great idea too.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:33 am

that's right you just don't know if the person puts down the right answer is really right or not, but when i do the contests i research the answers and hope they are right. good luck to all with the contests
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 2:59 pm

Thats a really good idea!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 4:19 pm

PM inbox would need to be bigger? I think there will be a lot of guesses flooding in...and once the box is full..it's full.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 5:00 pm

I don't think the Inbox is the problem. The problem is that with all things, you can't please everyone.

If Tina allows the voting to be private, there is always that one person out there to complain that their answers came before another's Rolling Eyes

I say that if Tina agrees to do this, that no one is allowed to complain that their vote was first. And if you do complain about it to Tina, then we get to hang you in the public square and cane you.
An idea on contest posts Whip

Tina has been MORE THAN GENEROUS. She shouldn't have to take more garbage than she already does.

So I think that another rule should be added, if you agree to join in the contest, then you agree to ACCEPT the outcome of the contest. And that includes complaining on other boards too. Wink
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 7:01 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
that includes complaining on other boards too. Wink

You mean someone actually complained about the outcome elsewhere?? Oh no. Poor Tina. I wasn't aware there were so many problems, but it does sound like a lot complained about the cabin quest from Tina's email.
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:35 am

crusinmama06 wrote:
I don't think the Inbox is the problem. The problem is that with all things, you can't please everyone.

If Tina allows the voting to be private, there is always that one person out there to complain that their answers came before another's Rolling Eyes

I do like the idea of idea of a drawing from all correct answers, rather than first correct answer wins. I didn't think about an Inbox filling up; however, a throw-away yahoo or google email account would get around that.

I also like the idea about your added rule.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:50 am

I think the thing that people have to remember is that they are not putting anything into these contests other than time. If they don't win, they have not lost anything. They really have no right to complain. If you look at the list of people that have won cabins, and in many cases multiple cabins, the only question I have is where Tina is getting the money to pay for all of these.

While I fully endorse the idea that these boards are for everyone, I would not be opposed to banning someone that complains about the way the host of this board decides to run contests in which she is paying for all the prizes. I just don't understand how some people can be so ungrateful.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 12:27 pm

When others answers are hidden, I think drawing from all the correct answers is a perfectly acceptable way to go.
queen
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: An idea on contest posts   An idea on contest posts Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

An idea on contest posts
Page 1 of 1