Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Another Bennet Update

Go down 
+14
NYC PD
Pam M
flowers
BrandonH61
Iceman
Andy The Sailor Man
Ajani
Cruise Virgin Vinnie
VJMorrow
SwanTraveler
cruiseforme
Cruise Liner Fan
NDJollyMon
AmbianceTraveler
18 posters
AuthorMessage
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

Another Bennet Update Empty
PostSubject: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 1:45 am

Bennet is making strides! Yesterday he was transfered from the NICU to the NIM Pavilion. The NIM is still considered part of ICU but is more intermediate level care rather than critical care. In NICU there was one nurse for every 1-2 babies and in NIM the ratio is more like one nurse for every 3-4 babies. This was a big step that I am so proud of him making so soon!!

He was off the nasal canula (helps stimulate breathing) for several hours today but started getting tired in the evening so they had to put it back on. He is also having a latte every morning (a dose of caffine in his milk) to help stimulate his heart rate since it was still dropping to concerningly slow levels several times a day. He has been on it for 2 days now and it really seems to help as he hasn't had any "heart dips" since he started. He still has trouble with keeping his oxygen staturation levels (oxygen in our blood) up and "Desats" several times a day and often needs blow-by oxygen or stimulation (me trying to wake him up a little) to get him to breath deeper and process the oxygen better to bring his levels back to where they need to be. While he hasn't gotten to the point of turning completely blue yet he has gotten close enough a few times to make James and I really worry about him! He is off the IV and is taking all of his fluids by gavage (tube) feedings.

His path toward home depends on 3 factors.

1. He has to learn how to manage his breathing better, (Deeper, slower rate less than 60 resps per minute)

2 a.Has to learn how to suck, swallow, breathe so he can take either a bottle or the breast,
2b. Has to be strong enough to nurse/bottle feed completely for all feedings,

3. has to regulate his own body temperature.

Number one is more of an age thing than anything else, The breathing and heart rate problems that he has been having is called "Apnea of Prematurity" and they usually grow out of it between 35 & 36 weeks. So we just have to wait for him to do that.
Number two takes a long time (2-3weeks) for them to not only learn how to eat but have enough strength and energy to make it through a full feeding every time. Again, the suck, swallow, breath technique is something that has to "click" in their brain and is usually learned between weeks 35 & 36 but since they start with just a small percentage of the feeding by bottle/breast once or twice a day and up it only every couple of days it takes time.
He is already doing the last step fairly well and they popped the top on his isolette today so he is in room air with a sleeper, receiving blanket and quilt to help keep him warm. If he continues to maintain his temp through the night and tomorrow we can check that off the list. He will be 34 weeks old on Wednesday so we are getting closer Smile

So overall...doing great! He just needs time to grow and develop. There are no other major concerns, illnesses or physical problems that he has to overcome praise God! I'm spending between 10 & 12 hours a day, 7 days a week at the hospital with him and being supported with meals and babysitting for the girls by my family and church friends. Coming on here when I can and seeing the comments and well wishes are also a huge boost to the moral. While Bennet is doing really well under the circumstances it makes for a hectic and disconnecting lifestyle that is not completely free of worrying and stress! I am most thankful for all of the support my family has been receiving from so many sources.

On another note...I am also encouraged to see that the board is thriving! I don't get enough time to read the new posts but take note of the new threads and number of responses. Way to go everyone! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 2:03 am

Great news! I'm very happy for you. I hope you are all holding your own during this rough time.

Sending PM...
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Cruise Liner Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 165
Registration date : 2008-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 9:58 am

Nina, That is good news concerning Bennet.I will still pray for good health for him and that you will be able to bring him home soon. Regards,Jerry
Back to top Go down
cruiseforme
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2007-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 10:40 am

Nina......I pray for Bennet's strength every day. He looks awesome in the picture and sounds like everything is going on schedule.

Hang in there and remember that you need your strength every bit as he does. It won't do him any good if you get sick. And it sure seems like this is a really strong flu and cold season (at least around here it sure is!).

Have a great week.

jul Smile
Back to top Go down
SwanTraveler
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2008-10-16

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 10:44 am

Nina, YEAH! So glad to hear the update.. Please let me know what you need! If James and girls need meals, please let me know.. We are holding you all in our prayers, and can't wait to meet him in person! Praying for your emotional time too, a bit hard when you can't scooop him up! Hugs, and Prayers,, Pamela Swan
Back to top Go down
http://www.swantc.com

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 10:48 am

Great news Nina! Leanna and I are continuing to keep you and Bennet in our thoughts and prayers until he is safely home. Thank you for taking the time to share the update, I know you must be exhausted at this point.
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:00 am

Good to hear from you Nina... so happy that you and Bennet are doing well.
Back to top Go down
Cruise Virgin Vinnie
Charter Member
Charter Member
Cruise Virgin Vinnie

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:02 am

Nina, I think I speak for everyone on the boards when I say we're happy that Bennet is continuing to improve and that you are in our thoughts and prayers and will be until Bennet is home safe and sound.

Vinnie
Back to top Go down
Ajani
Charter Member
Charter Member
Ajani

Number of posts : 173
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:21 am

Glad to hear everything is on the upswing Nina Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://rcclprojectgenesis.blogspot.com/
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:23 am

Great news Nina Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Iceman
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Iceman

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2008-10-12

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:32 am

Love the new photo and very happy to hear Bennet continues to improve!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:45 am

Nina,
I am so glad for your family that Bennet is improving, and hopefully will be home very shortly. You take care of yourself, so you will have some energy left when you do get home! The new picture is adorable.
All the best,
kk99
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 11:50 am

Glad to hear of the improvements Bennet is making. We will pray that he continues to do well. Please take care of yourself too. He will need you to be healthey and strong when he comes home. Sheila.
Back to top Go down
BrandonH61
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BrandonH61

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 1:22 pm

We hope to hear of continued strides with you and Bennet. We hope for the best.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Bennett seems to be doing so well. I dont blame you for being a proud mama. What a cutie pie he is already.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 4:21 pm

I pray for continued strength for Bennet and for YOU as well. I can't even imagine how exhausting it must be for you. You are definitely in our thoughts and prayers. Take care.
Back to top Go down
Pam M
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Pam M

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:34 pm

Nina so glad to hear Bennet is improving! My continued prayers that he gains strength and comes home soon.
Back to top Go down
NYC PD
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
NYC PD

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Nina, it's wonderful to see Bennet looking stronger! I will continue to pray for both of you and your family.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kingofqueens71
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:03 pm

Thanks for the update & the good news. I will continue to pray that he grow stronger everyday & will make it home soon.

Towanda
Back to top Go down
Down The Shore Guy
Charter Member
Charter Member
Down The Shore Guy

Number of posts : 262
Registration date : 2007-08-12

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 7:46 pm

Nina, it's good to hear from you and, I'm happy to read about Bennet's progress. You continue to be in our thoughts and prayers.

Eddie and Maria
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeTue Nov 18, 2008 9:01 pm

Good job, Bennet!! He's a fighter!

Continued best wishes, thoughts & prayers to you and your family, Nina!
Back to top Go down
LeCreole

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2008-08-14

PostSubject: GOD IS GOOD!   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitimeWed Nov 19, 2008 3:58 am

I pray that Bennet continues to progress at a rapid rate and that all of you will be home, sharing the precious times you deserve. He has been through so much, and it shows that he is special in the eyes of the LORD! We pray for all of you and hope to hear of more progress when you are up to it.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL,
-Phil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Another Bennet Update   Another Bennet Update Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Another Bennet Update
Page 1 of 1