Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Tell me about NCL Dawn

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dawns from NJ
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2007-08-13

Tell me about NCL Dawn Empty
PostSubject: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 11:31 am

We're currently scheduled on NCL Dawn for Christmas this year and, I have to admit I'm pretty nervous about it. While it isn't our first cruise, it is our first time on NCL and, before joining this board, I was posting on that "other" board - you guys know the one I mean, the initals are CC. And the Roll Call and NCL boards are just rude and, if this is the type of passenger I"m going to find onboard, I'm going to have to find a way to jump ship.

The main problem is we're kind of stuck - I can only get 7 days off during the holidays this year, I'm a nurse and didn't get my request in soon enough for additional days off during that time of year. The second problem is my Mom won't fly so that leaves us with departures from NYC or NJ.

We were originally booked on Explorer of the Seas but had to cancel due to the scheduling problems with work.

At this point, I'm even thinking taking AMTRAK down to Florida just to avoid having to sail NCL.

Any thoughts? Am I getting upset over nothing? Or should I switch cruise lines now while there are still cabins open?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 11:43 am

Dawn,

CC members will not be the overwhelming majority of the cruisers on your particular cruise ... so even if there are a few rude people onboard, I doubt you'll have to deal with them personally. Enjoy yourself!!!
Back to top Go down
Cruise Virgin Vinnie
Charter Member
Charter Member
Cruise Virgin Vinnie

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 4:54 pm

Dawn,

I only sailed NCL Dawn once and it was a cruise to nowhere - and, as you might know, a cruise to nowhere tends to draw a different crowd than other cruises.

Yes, there were some really obnoxious types on-board (the type that gives New Yorker's a bad reputation). I only ate in two restaurants and found the "pay for" restaurant to be leaps and bound ahead of the main dining room.

Given your circumstances, I'd stay with NCL Dawn. A cruise is what you make of it and, I think you're going to find a lot more families on your cruise and therefore, a less rowdy bunch overall.

Besides, you won't know if it's right for you - if you yourself don't experience it, right?

No matter what you decide, have a wonderful time. I'm really jealous of the group holiday cruise that is being offered by Cruise Freeks - I'd do anything to get out NYC during the holidays but, unfortunately, my job rarely allows anyone to take two weeks off in a row. One of these days I'll get back on a cruise during the holidays but, until then, I"ll just live those enough luck to go.

Vinnie
Back to top Go down
newmexiconita
NCL Host
NCL Host

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitimeTue Aug 14, 2007 7:24 pm

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The most fun cruises we have taken have been on NCL. Of course there are rude people, this will happen anywhere and on any line. I met a few on HAL last fall. Overall those cruising over the holidays will be families. I will warn you of one thing, and this goes for all cruise lines, service, as well as a few other things often suffer when cruising over Christmas. The crew is worked to death, that is why we stay away from times like that. Of course we can pretty much pick and choose.

The best way to handle rude people or negative people is to turn everything around. They soon either change their attitude or shut up.

I am sure you will find the Dawn every bit as enjoyable as Explorer of the Sea.

Nita
Back to top Go down
NYC Cruiser
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 12:41 pm

NCL is no different than any other cruise lines - you have your good, your bad and your ugly. While the Freestyle concept takes a bit of getting used to if you're coming over from more traditional lines like Princess or Cunard or even Royal Caribbean, it does have it's pluses.

A cruise is what you make of it so don't let anyone try to take any enjoyment away from you.

I'm sure you'll have a great time!
Back to top Go down
ManiacCruisers

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitimeTue Oct 21, 2008 2:48 pm

Hi Dawn

We have cruised probably 10 times and the last 2 on NCL and we leave next weekend on the Dawn. I have been to one of the greet & meets with the "cc" crowd and found most of them to be very pleasant people, and that group had maybe 20-30 people. On our last cruise we saw another group but didnt participate and that was also 20-30 people. I found that they were no different then a regular group of friends getting together. Sure at times they got excited and loud but the ship is large enough you may run into them just a few times.

We, being from Maine, enjoy flying from NY and enjoy NCL, we havent cruised on any other lines since we started with them.

Sue
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tell me about NCL Dawn   Tell me about NCL Dawn Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tell me about NCL Dawn
Page 1 of 1