Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

My first travel to Japan!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
easytraveller

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2008-09-10

My first travel to Japan! Empty
PostSubject: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:46 am

Last year I visited Japan for 2 weeks. I have to say that I spent there the best holidays of my life. Japan is a wonderful country, it's a mix of old (temples, gardens) and modern (Japan has developed so many brands such as sony, canon, toyota, toshiba that today are well known all around the world). That's very worth to visit it. I stayed in Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo. During my traveling I had the possibility to see many Buddhist temples. The most beautifull temple I saw was the one in Kyoto: the kiyomizudera temple. That's absolutly fantastic!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 1:32 pm

I'm jealous! Japan is on my 1,000 places to see before I die list!

Last edited by Nick Needs To Know on Wed Sep 10, 2008 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 2:04 pm

I went to Japan in the 70s.........It was and still is the most interesting place I have been to.........

We went to basically the same places as the OP........

Big difference is probably price...........

RT air from JFK to Toyko(non stop on the way home affraid )
hotels for the week(in Tokyo,Kyoto and Osaka)
all meals and tours.........
bullet train ride....

Cost?? $150 total..............

I used to work for the airlines............GREAT PERKS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Sep 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Nina,

Japan is on my Bucket List too Wink Hubby has been several times on business, so he hasn't had a lot of free time while there to play tourist.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeThu Sep 11, 2008 4:38 am

My daughter and husband lived as an XPatriot in Toyko for about 3 years. I got to visit them a few times while they were there. One of those times was when she was to give birth to one of my grandsons. Seeing that side (hospital/medical side) of Japan was an education indeed! The medical hospitals delivery rooms were very different from the USA ones. I will spare you the details of the birth lol! but the Japanese definately have different medical birthing practices.

You are right though it is a very interesting place to visit. We couldn't find a straight street in the city of Toyko. I was told that the Japanese made their streets this way on purpose. They wanted many dead ends and corners so enemy warriors couldn't easily drive through and take over their city. I have no idea if that is a fact.... sounded good though...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 2:55 am

High on my list of places not yet seen - top three.

Gorgeous film if you can find it (or better yet on big screen in the repertory theaters in big cities) = The Makioka Sisters.

These sisters had a tradition of going to the most beautiful places in the country together - as each season changed. Cherry blossoms in spring, wonderful bamboo forest and so on in summer, where the maple leaves are vibrant in fall, snow falling in winter - just gorgeous cinematography that makes me want to see it all someday!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 3:43 am

Hi, Aloha Tad
What are your other TWO places you would like to go, Tad?

I'd love to do a few cruises in Asia... hitting Vietnam, Thailand, and Cambodia and also a river boat cruise in China. I sure have a lot of places to go!! There is PANDAW RIVER CRUISES that do Southeast Asia that is "perking" my interest right now. This is river boating and there is one The MeKong and also Burmah. The beauty of the inland part of these countries interest me. I cannot talk my husband into it though! I'm trying!
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:12 am

My husband & I did a 17 day Princess cruise of Asia in 2000. We also stayed 3 days in China before the cruise, and 5 days in Thailand after the cruise. The entire trip was wonderful, and since so many of you are so much younger than my husband & me, I strongly recommend you do this while you are young! The flight over and back is a killer! I would love to do this again, my my old body could not take 26 hrs. flying time again!
Lois

My first travel to Japan! Event

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 12:54 pm

Friendly Cruises wrote:
Hi, Aloha Tad
What are your other TWO places you would like to go, Tad?

Well there are so many but I do keep a list in my head. The other two biggies for me are Rio and Rangiroa. Someday but as part of longer trips seeing more in those regions as well.

My mom and I kept a list on a piece of cardboard and actually made it to six of the ten before she left the Earth in 06. Now I cherish that silly piece of cardboard that just happened to be the closest thing to her lazee boy chair when we started brainstorming one day and had to get it down in writing.

Aloha - Tad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Isn't there a South America CruiseFreek group being planned. I wonder if it will be including RIO.......and wouldn't the Tahiti idea be nice.. that would be a great destination too. Why did you want Rangiroa specifically over any of the other islands?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 3:48 pm

I'd be interested in Asia but, not for a while, too much else happening between now and 2011
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:37 pm

Friendly Cruises wrote:
and wouldn't the Tahiti idea be nice.. that would be a great destination too. Why did you want Rangiroa specifically over any of the other islands?

It is the most unique looking - that coral necklace with nothing but sand a few feet across, coconut palms and stunning water surrounding you as far as the eye can see. The aerial photos of Rangi just grabbed me in a way no other place did. And it is one of those places few ever visit, or at least stay overnight on. Supposedly one of the best snorkel sites on Earth with water as warm as a soothing bath.

Big Bonus = if I get there, I will also be seeing Bora Bora, Moorea, Huahine, etc.!! cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My first travel to Japan!   My first travel to Japan! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My first travel to Japan!
Page 1 of 1