Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll

Go down 
+4
Queen of the Seas
AmbianceTraveler
Boca Brats
The Sophisticated Cat
8 posters

NYC Hotel Poll
Yes - I'd like a luxury hotel such as the Waldorf Astoria
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap32%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 32% [ 9 ]
Yes - I'd like an upscale hotel such as The Marriott or Intercontinental
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap18%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 18% [ 5 ]
Yes - I'd like a moderate hotel such Holiday Inn
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap0%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Yes - I'd like a budget hotel such as Milford Plaza
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap0%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
No - I planning on booking my own hotel, thanks anyhow
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap29%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 29% [ 8 ]
No - I'd rather stay in Brooklyn but thanks
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap11%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 11% [ 3 ]
No - I'd rather stay in New Jersey but thanks
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap4%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 4% [ 1 ]
Other
Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_lcap6%Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Vote_rcap
 6% [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 28

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
The Sophisticated Cat
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Sophisticated Cat

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Empty
PostSubject: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeTue Jan 08, 2008 1:27 pm

For those of you who are planning on booking the Christmas/New Year's cruise in 2009, how many of you who are coming from out of driving distance would like to try to get a group rate at a hotel in Manhattan?

If you're interested please vote in the poll.
Back to top Go down
Boca Brats
Charter Member
Charter Member
Boca Brats

Number of posts : 141
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 11:46 am

Question: Are you asking if we'd like to book a hotel independently of the usual hotels or at least rates Cunard usually offers? For example, Cunard almost always offers the Waldorf-Astoria and the Marriott Marquis as add ons through their normal reservations system. This is assuming we ARE sailing out of NYC...

Are you asking if we'd like to see if we can get a better rate than what Cunard is offering?

The other thing to consider is that while Cunard's rates at these hotels might be a bit higher, it also includes transfers to Brooklyn, and, if you're planning on taking a cab, that could prove costly and in the end, you might end up paying the same amount of money out.

Just wanted to make those points...
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeWed Jan 09, 2008 6:52 pm

Boca, If the group does end up getting a group or discounted rate at the hotel better than what is available on their own or through Cunard than it would also be easy to arrange group transportation that might also cut down on the transfer costs. Arranging for a large motor coach or two is some times the best option for a group and could stop at two different hotels for pick up if the group was split. Last time I did that for a group in Hawaii it was just $20.00 a person and would have been less if we actually had filled the whole bus. This is all something the assigned TA could look into and arrange for the group if the demand for it was there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
Queen of the Seas
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Queen of the Seas

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-01-11

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2008 10:58 pm

Very interested, except we'll probably want to arrive between 5 to 7 days in advance of sailing, I'm not sure we'd be able to book into a group situation.
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2008 3:10 am

Q.o.S, Depending on where you decide to stay in NYC you could either switch to the group hotel for that night as part of the group or book there to begin. At any rate, you will know well ahead of time what hotel the group decides to go with and can choose something close by if you want to take part in some of the group stuff.
Back to top Go down
BedrockBoaters
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BedrockBoaters

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeTue Jan 15, 2008 4:55 pm

We'd be willing if we can get a better rate than Cunard is offering
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 4:58 pm

I was doing some research on NYC hotels for another client and was reminded of this great little hotel. I think it would be a fun consideration for the group. If you look under the Fast Facts tab you will be able to get a great overview of the whole property and what it offers all on one screen. It is a small hotel but since we would be booking very far out securing the needed rooms wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.libraryhotel.com/index.shtml

I have only have heard rave reviews about this place although I haven't had the chance to stay there personally. They offer a complimentary manager's reception in the evening and continental breakfast in the morning as well as highspeed internet (a must for me!), which I think are nice touches.

What do you all think?

Last edited by on Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
BedrockBoaters
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BedrockBoaters

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2007-08-14

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:14 pm

AmbianceTraveler wrote:
I was doing some research on NYC hotels for another client and was reminded of this great little hotel. I think it would be a fun consideration for the group. If you look under the Fast Facts tab you will be able to get a great overview of the whole property and what it offers all on one screen. It is a small hotel but since we would be booking very far out securing the needed rooms wouldn't be a problem.

http://www.libraryhotel.com/index.shtml

I have only have heard rave reviews about this place although I haven't had the chance to stay there personally. They offer a complimentary manager's reception in the evening and continental breakfast in the morning as well as highspeed internet, which I think are nice touches.

What do you all think?

Samantha Brown did an episode of Great Hotels at the Library Hotel and I thought it looked wonderful! I love the themed room idea!! Here's a link for everyone to see:

http://travel.discovery.com/tv/samantha-brown/great-hotels/library.html
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:21 pm

Now, I remember that episode! I also thought the themed rooms would give us plenty to talk about at the wine & cheese reception Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 5:23 pm

Obliviously I won't be staying at the hotel BUT, I wanted to mention that the restaurant, Madison & Vine at The Library hotel is wonderful!! I think it would be a great choice for those coming in from out of town, you'll be away from that hustle and bustle of Times Square that us locals avoid like the plague unless absolutely necessary!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 6:37 pm

Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
Obliviously I won't be staying at the hotel BUT, I wanted to mention that the restaurant, Madison & Vine at The Library hotel is wonderful!! I think it would be a great choice for those coming in from out of town, you'll be away from that hustle and bustle of Times Square that us locals avoid like the plague unless absolutely necessary!

Nina, I have to agree with Marina, keep everyone away from Times Square. Not that it's bad or dangerous, it's just soooooooo touristy!! A hotel on the East Side would work much better for sanity purposes.
Back to top Go down
Murray S
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Murray S

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeMon Jan 21, 2008 8:50 pm

I have to also agree with that suggestion - ANYWHERE but Times Square! YUCK! I've never stayed at The Library but have walked passed it many, many times and it's a great location. Madison won't be as nearly as crazy as 5th Avenue during the holidays. There is a garage on 39th, so it's do-able for those who might be driving in. And, close to Grand Central for grabbing trains and subways.
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 11:16 am

The Library would be fine with us Nina, looks like a very cozy hotel! And, I agree, anything but that Times Square mess. It's truly a tourist trap!
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 12:51 pm

Wonderful, glad for all the positive reviews! Once we have a date I will contact the hotel to see about holding the space. In the mean time, if anyone else has any other suggestions I'm sure the board would be open to it.
Back to top Go down
The Sophisticated Cat
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Sophisticated Cat

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeTue Jan 22, 2008 5:08 pm

The Library looks wonderful! Fine by me, if they'll take a group...
Back to top Go down
Former Cruise Critic
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Former Cruise Critic

Number of posts : 128
Registration date : 2007-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeThu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

The Library looks GREAT!
Back to top Go down
The Sophisticated Cat
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
The Sophisticated Cat

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 5:38 pm

Nina, another hotel related question. How does it work if we're not booking through Cunard? Do we pay upfront or is it just a deposit with a final payment? I've never belonged to a group before so it's all new to me.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitimeFri Jan 25, 2008 5:57 pm

It will depend on the policy of the hotel. Often with groups there is a small initial deposit with everyone paying the remaining for their room at check out like you would normally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll   Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christmas 2009 - A Hotel Question and Poll
Page 1 of 1