Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Loves 2 Cruise
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Loves 2 Cruise

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2007-08-27

Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Empty
PostSubject: Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?   Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 2:21 pm

We've just started discussing our vacation for the summer of 2008 and more than likely we'll be going to Europe although Alaska isn't out of the question either. We've always booked our air independently because we like certain airlines and usually arrive much earlier than the cruise departure date. And, I could never see how the cruise lines could justify the charges for custom air.

As travel professionals, which you recommend to your clients? Booking air through the cruise lines or independently?
Back to top Go down
newmexiconita
NCL Host
NCL Host

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?   Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 6:20 pm

If you plan on arriving a couple of days prior to sailing I recommend booking on your own, but there are certainly advantages to the entire package. You have one neat arrangement including transfers, the price can be as good as or better than on your own and it is very easy. The downside, the flights often are very inconvenient and sometimes you dont know til 30 days out what airline or schedule you will be taking.

I am doing a group right now leaving the end of this month. Several decided to handle their own air or to drive. To make a long story short, almost everyone is now flying out the day of the cruise and spending more than had they booked the package price to start.

Nita
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?   Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 7:49 pm

Another consideration is if you take the cruse line's vacation protection insurance ... often it won't cover airfare that you book independently, so verify whether or not it does before purchasing the airfare or the insurance.
Back to top Go down
MerryMeetingTravel
Host
Host

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?   Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 08, 2008 6:40 pm

I typically encourage booking the air on your own for cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska, Mexican Riviera, and the East Coast...for the European air it depends on a few factors and each individual vacation needs to be evaluated for the best outcome.
If you intend to arrive early... and book the hotel package through the cruise line...book the air as well... transfers to the hotel and to the cruise port will be included...but I also recommend spending the air deviation fee to be able to pick the flights you want.

This is something you should sit with your travel agent and discuss the scenario best suited for your needs.

Good luck...
Back to top Go down
http://www.MerryMeetingTravel.com
Bibb
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?   Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 4:13 pm

We do our own air BUT never on the day of the cruise. For first time cruisers, I recommend the cruise line's package, just for safety and convenience. I never recommend first time cruisers booking their own air for the day of the cruise.

There have been times when the cruise line's air, including transfers, etc., has been cheaper than private flights and transfers but not normally.

Also, take the insurance. This past January, DW and I were scheduled to fly to San Diego and a 5 night cruise followed by a short stay with friends after the cruise. We did not take insurance because the whole package was so cheap. Duh!! A last-minute (3 days prior to sailing) medical problem came up and we cancelled the cruise. We got part of the cruise money back and rescheduled the air for a small fee. We could have saved a few hundred if we had listened to my own advice. Embarassed

Bbb
Back to top Go down
http://bklongcrier.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?   Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Air - do you recommend Cruise Line or Booking On Your Own?
Page 1 of 1