Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

First Timer Here

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Ugly Betty Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Ugly Betty Fan

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-08-23

First Timer Here Empty
PostSubject: First Timer Here   First Timer Here Icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 10:32 am

Hi everyone,

I'm coming over from Cruise Critic and was glad to find out about this board from Hopeful Henry! Would you believe they banned me beause I posted too much my first week there?!?! Shocked What's the point of having a message board if I can't ask questions?! Henry assures me that it's different over here.

So, just be forewarned, I will be asking LOTS of questions!

As I said, I'm a first timer and I'll be posting this over on the Princess board too since that's our first cruise. We're going on our first cruise during the holidays on Grand Princess in 2008 and, we're excited!!

So here are my first set of questions:

1) Everyone keeps telling us to get to Florida at least one day early (we're traveling from New York City). Can someone recommend a hotel that is close to the pier and it won't cost an arm and a leg in cab fare to get from the hotel to the pier. I've never been to Fort Lauderdale and the only knowledge of Florida I have is of Walt Disney World. It doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and in a decent location.

2) I'm traveling with my parents and my Grandmother, we currently have traditional first sitting, but, I've been told to consider Anytime Dining. In your opinions, which is better?

3) Formal nights - I'm completely lost. I mean, I know enough to get a long, formal gown but, how dressy does the ship get? Will I be out of place with a gown from JCPenney or Macys?

4) JetBlue - Would you chance waiting for JetBlue who only put their seats up for sale a few months before departure or would you book with one of the other carriers who allow you to book almost a year in advance?

Ok I'll stop now, I don't want to scare everyone here like I did on Cruise Critic!
Back to top Go down

First Timer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Timer Here   First Timer Here Icon_minitimeSun Aug 26, 2007 3:28 pm

You won't scare us ... ask away. I'm on the way out the door right now, but can come back to answer some questions later.

In the meantime, WELCOME!!!!
Back to top Go down
AmbianceTraveler
Cunard Host
Cunard Host
AmbianceTraveler

Number of posts : 889
Registration date : 2007-09-05

First Timer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Timer Here   First Timer Here Icon_minitimeFri Sep 07, 2007 12:13 pm

Ugly Betty Fan wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm coming over from Cruise Critic and was glad to find out about this board from Hopeful Henry! Would you believe they banned me beause I posted too much my first week there?!?! Shocked What's the point of having a message board if I can't ask questions?! Henry assures me that it's different over here.

So, just be forewarned, I will be asking LOTS of questions!

As I said, I'm a first timer and I'll be posting this over on the Princess board too since that's our first cruise. We're going on our first cruise during the holidays on Grand Princess in 2008 and, we're excited!!

So here are my first set of questions:

1) Everyone keeps telling us to get to Florida at least one day early (we're traveling from New York City). Can someone recommend a hotel that is close to the pier and it won't cost an arm and a leg in cab fare to get from the hotel to the pier. I've never been to Fort Lauderdale and the only knowledge of Florida I have is of Walt Disney World. It doesn't have to be fancy, just clean and in a decent location.

Your local TA should be able to help you with this one. There are so many to choose from and Fort Lauderdale is on the more expensive side. (The Hampton Inn & Suites North is nice with new bedding, breakfast and shuttle service from the airport to hotel to port but will cost you close to $200 or more a night. (Not bad though if you can put 4 in a room) Beware of the Sleep Inn that offers many of the same things. My clients thought the Hampton was too expensive for just one night so changed the booking and slept with the roaches. If you rent a car (40-50.00) you can drive about 15-20 min. north or west of the airport and have a very nice La Quinta Inn for $79.00 a night. (Saves you money over all and gives you a car for the day.

2) I'm traveling with my parents and my Grandmother, we currently have traditional first sitting, but, I've been told to consider Anytime Dining. In your opinions, which is better?

Depends on what you like. Many like the traditional dining because you get to know your waiter and the service is better that way. If you feel that it may cut into your port times go second seating. Or chose a more casual option on port days.

3) Formal nights - I'm completely lost. I mean, I know enough to get a long, formal gown but, how dressy does the ship get? Will I be out of place with a gown from JCPenney or Macys?

Most of my gowns are from such stores and I usually find them on sale. Anything long and age appropriate with be terrific!

4) JetBlue - Would you chance waiting for JetBlue who only put their seats up for sale a few months before departure or would you book with one of the other carriers who allow you to book almost a year in advance?

Again, up to you on this one. Check out Spirit Airlines, I believe they have a NYC to FLL run.

Ok I'll stop now, I don't want to scare everyone here like I did on Cruise Critic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.ambiancetc.com
Sponsored content

First Timer Here Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Timer Here   First Timer Here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

First Timer Here
Page 1 of 1