Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Marinades!?

Go down 
AuthorMessage
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeTue Mar 24, 2009 11:10 pm

Hey all,

I got this big package of chicken thawed out and ready to do something with. Thing is my family doesn't have any of those cool recipes handed down. It was always hamburger helper, or hot dogs, or mac and cheese, or tacos... I guess my mom makes a killer spaghetti sauce but that doesn't help me with this chicken. Wink

SO! Do you all have a cool marinade recipe to help me out, I'd like to do something cool with this rather than just grill it up like usual.

Also if you just have any cool recipes for grilling or special dishes lets post them. What's your favorite dish or proud piece?
Back to top Go down

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 7:36 am

Hi Utahcouple,

I just wanted to tell you an interesting story of some chicken I once had the same dilema with. I didn't have a clue as to what to do with it. Then I saw some salsa half gone in the fridge. Also a little bit of taco sauce left. I put the chicken in a foil packet, and coveredit with the slasa & taco sauce.Threw in a sliced green pepper, and rolled it up and threw it on the grill for 20-25 minutes on a medium flame. It came out so moist and tasty!~Just fell apart as we ate it.

I also make chicken french. Slice boneless breasts in half so they resemble cutlets.Pound with meat hammer(good for anger management too) Dredge in flour first, then dip it in beaten egg. Fry in EVOO (extra virgin Olive Oil) until light brown.Remove from pan, empty oil.In pan, put 1 cup creme shery, or cooking sherry.Add 2 tbsp lemon juice, 5 or 6 pats of butter, and 2 tbsp chicken base or boullion.Put chicken back in pan, and simmer in sauce for 10 minutes. You can adjust the butter and lemon to your taste.

My Daughter makes a mean chicken dish. She cooks up 4 or 5 boneless breasts, then cuts them up into chunks while cooking. Adds 2 tsps minced garlic.Then adds broccoli florrets 7 cook a few more minutes. Add 2 jars of alfredo sauce. While that simmers, cook up some penne pasta, and serve over the pasta, or put it right into the chicken mixture.

I have found this sauce at Walmart, in the marinades, called " Dales Seasoning" It looks like it is in a soda bottle. We have been marinading beef in it, wonderful! I bet chicken would be really tasty too!

I have also been known to throw chicken in the crockpot.Add a jar or 2 of your favorite spagetti sauce, green beans, mushrooms, and 5 or 6 potatos cut up into chunks. Let it simmer all day.Serve with pasta, or better yet, in a bread bowl.

I guess thats a start, hope these help, or inspire you! I will check back to see if there are more recipes later I can "borrow" Great thread!
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:39 am

I get daily recipes from allrecipes.com. (I'm a recipe addict!) Anyway todays recipe is for pork chops but you could easily substitute boneless chicken. Here is the link.
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Cola-Pork-Chops/Detail.aspx?ms=1&prop25=16402560&prop26=DailyDish&prop27=2009-03-25&prop28=DailyRecipe&prop29=FullRecipe&me=1

I haven't made it but it sounds like something I would like. I go to allrecipes.com all the time when I get stuck.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 10:58 am

Ok...I'll give up my VERY FAVORITE chicken marinade/recipe. You are going to LOVE this!

Polynesian Chicken
(NDJollymon's Specialty!)

Marinate: 2-3 hours at room temp. or up to 24 hours refrigerated (I prefer the 24 hour method!)
Cook: 45 minutes.
Serves: 4

1 - 3-Lb. chicken, cut up. (I like to use chicken breasts)
¼ - cup soy sauce (or Teriyaki)
¼ - cup Pineapple juice
1/3 - cup brown sugar
½ - teaspoon powdered ginger
¼ - cup vegetable oil

1. Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry; arrange pieces in a glass baking, or marinade dish. In a small bowl mix the rest of ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cover dish and marinate, turning chicken occasionally. (a large storage bag works nicely for camping!)

2. Prepare a hot grill. Remove chicken and place skin-side down on an oiled grill, reserve sauce. Grill, turning once, until chicken is browned on both sides. (about 15 min per side) Brush with sauce and continue to grill, turning and basting frequently, until chicken is cooked through with no traces of pink near the bone. (about 15 min longer)

NDJollyMon's hints:
I like to marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator. I usually add (at least a cup) extra of pineapple juice to the mix, and a little extra soy sauce as well. It doesn't have to be exact. When cooking, I usually brown the chicken on both sides and then cook it indirectly for the remaining time so it doesn't get too black. The brown sugar makes it get black pretty fast. Eating the chicken with a Jimmy Buffett CD cranked up, and an ice cold CORONA doesn't hurt either!

Enjoy!

Marinades!? CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 11:19 am

yummy....
Back to top Go down

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 8:43 pm

Ok here's my favorite marinade, I came up with this after having something similar at a local restaurant. I like it best on skirt steaks.

Chipotle Marinade

1/2 cup oil
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 or 2 cloves fresh, minced if you have it)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (can leave this out and it's still good)
3 to 4 chipotles peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (add more for more spice)
1 or 2 tbsp. adobo sauce
1/2 can beer

Mix all ingredients together and pour over meat to marinate at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Good on beef, pork, and chicken.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeWed Mar 25, 2009 8:46 pm

Barb...will it taste the same if I just drink the beer, and use the rest of the ingredients??? What a Face

Marinades!? CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:09 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
Ok...I'll give up my VERY FAVORITE chicken marinade/recipe. You are going to LOVE this!

Polynesian Chicken
(NDJollymon's Specialty!)

Marinate: 2-3 hours at room temp. or up to 24 hours refrigerated (I prefer the 24 hour method!)
Cook: 45 minutes.
Serves: 4

1 - 3-Lb. chicken, cut up. (I like to use chicken breasts)
¼ - cup soy sauce (or Teriyaki)
¼ - cup Pineapple juice
1/3 - cup brown sugar
½ - teaspoon powdered ginger
¼ - cup vegetable oil

1. Rinse chicken in cold water and pat dry; arrange pieces in a glass baking, or marinade dish. In a small bowl mix the rest of ingredients together and pour over chicken. Cover dish and marinate, turning chicken occasionally. (a large storage bag works nicely for camping!)

2. Prepare a hot grill. Remove chicken and place skin-side down on an oiled grill, reserve sauce. Grill, turning once, until chicken is browned on both sides. (about 15 min per side) Brush with sauce and continue to grill, turning and basting frequently, until chicken is cooked through with no traces of pink near the bone. (about 15 min longer)

NDJollyMon's hints:
I like to marinate the chicken overnight in the refrigerator. I usually add (at least a cup) extra of pineapple juice to the mix, and a little extra soy sauce as well. It doesn't have to be exact. When cooking, I usually brown the chicken on both sides and then cook it indirectly for the remaining time so it doesn't get too black. The brown sugar makes it get black pretty fast. Eating the chicken with a Jimmy Buffett CD cranked up, and an ice cold CORONA doesn't hurt either!

Enjoy!

This sounds great! I think I'll give it a try!
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 12:11 am

Barbee524 wrote:
Ok here's my favorite marinade, I came up with this after having something similar at a local restaurant. I like it best on skirt steaks.

Chipotle Marinade

1/2 cup oil
1 tbsp. vinegar
1/4 to 1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. garlic powder (or 1 or 2 cloves fresh, minced if you have it)
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 tbsp. fresh cilantro, chopped (can leave this out and it's still good)
3 to 4 chipotles peppers in adobo sauce, chopped (add more for more spice)
1 or 2 tbsp. adobo sauce
1/2 can beer

Mix all ingredients together and pour over meat to marinate at least 2 hours or up to overnight. Good on beef, pork, and chicken.

Does this turn out fairly spicy? I don't mind the spicy flavors. But my wife and 2 young kids might not appreciate me cooking all our chicken in a fashion that I'll be the only one that would eat it. Wink
Back to top Go down

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 9:45 am

Put in less of the chipotles and adobo sauce if you want it less spicy.

Pete, you only put 1/2 a can of beer into the marinade you drink the rest of the 6 pack.
Back to top Go down

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitimeThu Mar 26, 2009 10:15 am

Barbee524 wrote:
Put in less of the chipotles and adobo sauce if you want it less spicy.

Pete, you only put 1/2 a can of beer into the marinade you drink the rest of the 6 pack.

Then you have to let it marinate overnight or let somebody else do the cooking... Drinks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Marinades!? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Marinades!?   Marinades!? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Marinades!?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: