Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Empty
PostSubject: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 2:50 pm

Costa Maya estimates 6- to 8-month closure
22/8/2007

Puerto Costa Maya estimates a six- to eight-month closure due to damage suffered from the direct hit by Hurricane Dean, Seatrade Insider has learned.
‘We believe more than 50% of the pier is gone. It’s a multimillion-dollar loss,’ port spokesman Cesar Lizarraga said.
An assessment of facilities is under way and more information will be provided soon. No casualties were reported in the area as of yesterday, but there was heavy damage to the fishing village of Majahual and the town of Bacalar.
‘We will rebuild,’ Lizarraga told Seatrade Insider. ‘The region is counting on us.’ The Hamui family, chief investors in Puerto Costa Maya, will soon put forward their recovery plan.
Mexican President Felipe Calderón overnighted in Chetumal, 60 miles south of Puerto Costa Maya, and is scheduled to inspect the port and surrounding area today.
Lizarraga is starting to call on cruise lines in South Florida to discuss the future. He anticipates operators will redeploy ships to Western Caribbean ports such as Roatán and Belize while Costa Maya is rebuilding
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 11:50 am

Costa Maya is finally open again. The very end of October 2008 was the re-opening, some 14 months after the devastation.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 8:43 pm

Yep, I'll be in Costa Maya in Feb. Any excursion ideas? Remember, we have 2 kids with us. Wink
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

PostSubject: Re: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:21 am

It's been a number of years since I was at Costa Maya. However, unless it has been developed a lot more than I would ever expect, I would recommend you simply stay at the pool and beach that are there.

My wife and I visited some Mayan ruins about a 45 minute bus ride from the port. While we found that fascinating, I'd bet your kids would be bored silly with that.

Perhaps there is someone else that was there more recently that can give a better suggestion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 12:47 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
It's been a number of years since I was at Costa Maya. However, unless it has been developed a lot more than I would ever expect, I would recommend you simply stay at the pool and beach that are there.

My wife and I visited some Mayan ruins about a 45 minute bus ride from the port. While we found that fascinating, I'd bet your kids would be bored silly with that.

Perhaps there is someone else that was there more recently that can give a better suggestion.

So there is a pool/beach right there? I know it was built up alot. But haven't seen many recent pictures. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

PostSubject: Re: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitimeSat Nov 15, 2008 1:46 pm

You can see some pictures here. I'm sure these are pre-hurricane destruction, but reviews I have read elsewhere indicate that the entire area, including the pool have been rebuilt.

More pictures can be found here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months   Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Costa Maya to be closed for 6-8 months
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Ports of Call :: Caribbean :: Caribbean - Western-
Jump to: