Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010

Go down 
AuthorMessage

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Empty
PostSubject: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:30 pm

Who wants to go diving? Pete???
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:37 pm

Oh, there's fish there too???

Of course I want to go! I need to buy a new mask, though. Mine was leaky, leaky down in the Caribbean mon!

Are there any good reefs in the Canaries?

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 2:39 pm

have you been there patrick? i wish we knew more from someone who's been there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Hi Pat, Paddy and Pete, I've been there once with friends. I mostly just snorkel or free dive a little after puncturing an eardrum several years ago. Here are some of the popular dive sites around Tenerife.Personally, I hate the moray eels. Watch your fingers! Kelcie

TENERIFE DIVE SITES

The majority of the scuba diving in Tenerife takes place off the south and west facing coasts of the island where the dive sites vary in depth from 6 to 50+ metres. Scuba diving in Tenerife is possible all year round with water temperatures ranging from 19 degrees C in the winter to 24 degrees C in the summer months. Visibility generally varies between 15-30 metres.
Underwater, the land drops away from the coastline in a series of slopes and steps, giving divers easy access to the walls, caves and swim through's that make up the underwater scenery.

There is abundant marine life to be found, from the small arrow crab, octopus and glass eye fish to the larger rays and barracudas. Angel sharks can also be spotted from December through to April.
Los Chuchos (The Rays)
Depth:18-21 metres
SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 RayA firm favorite with everybody who has done this dive before. As you descend the anchor line you will be met by the very special sight of the stingrays coming up to greet your arrival! Around the dive site we will find stingrays, sea bream, parrotfish and damselfish. There are also colonies of garden eels in the sand around a small ship wreck. Within the hull of the wreck you will find moray eels, small puffer fish and scorpion fish.
Condesito Ship Wreck
Depth: 7 - 18 metres

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Condesito_smallThe Condesito is lying in a canyon surrounded by walls of basalt rising from the sea bed. A lot of the superstructure is still intact and the upper levels can still be penetrated. Inside the wreck we will find brown scorpion fish, lizardfish, trumpet fish, glass eyes, sea bream and fire worms. Swimming around outside the wreck you will usually find that there are shoals of bogues attracting predators such as almaco jacks and striped barracudas.

Cueva de Palm Mar
(Palm Mar Cave)
Depth: 12 -36 metres

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Palm-mar12 metres down there is a large rocky plateau. As we drop off the side of the plateau to 30 metres we will come across the caves of Palm Mar. As you look away from the caves you will see large rock formations rise out of the sandy sea bed that slopes gently away from the coast. It is possible to swim out to the furthest formation at about 36metres before ascending back to the plateau and enjoying the sights of painted morays, leopard spotted morays and large brown morays being groomed by small shrimps. Further along we will find sea bream, zebra fish and wrasse.

Roncadores del Faro
Depth: 5- 23metres

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 RoncadoresAs we descend we enter a large swim through to be greeted on the other side by a huge school of Roncadores which part around us as we continue our journey. Trumpet fish, octopus and monk fish can be found as we swim gently down a valley to 28 metres where we will see black corals. We make our ascent along impressive reef walls, rising until we reach a 4 metre long swim through which leads us onto a 10 metre shelf as we make our way back to the boat.

Cueva de Ali Baba
(Ali Baba Caves)
Depth: 40 metres

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Shark A dive for the suitably qualified. We descend to a rocky platform at 30 metres. From here we will drop over the side of the platform and descend to a white sand sea bed at 38 metres, where we will find Ali Baba's Cave. We can see large groupers, stingrays, angel shark, glass eye fish, jacks and barracuda.

Coral Arch
Depth: 24metres

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 OctopusThe seabed here is covered with spectacular basaltic rock formations where lava has produced three large arch shaped formations. Two memorials, one to Jacques Cousteau and another to a local diver will be seen as we make our way through and around the arches. We will see black moray, brown moray, trumpet fish and if the time of year is right, the occasional angel shark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 12:10 pm

How about snorkeling for those of us who aren't certified? Oh keep your mouth quiet Patrick, I said certified, not certifiable!! Razz
Back to top Go down
PRTTravel
Travel Agent and Bi-Lingual Host
Travel Agent and Bi-Lingual Host

Number of posts : 303
Registration date : 2009-02-18

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 12:21 pm

I might be into snorkeling, Nick. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 1:04 pm

I'm up fro snorkeling. Probably we could charter a boat to take the snorkelers and the divers out together, if people wanted to do it. For those who want to stay on dry land and see the aqua life,there is the park at Loro Parque,which is popular with children and adults. I'll be happy to look up private operators if people are interested.
Have a great Saturday,
Kelcie
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Looks way cool to me! (I've been nibbled by a moray eel before.
I was carrying some baitfish around...so lots of things were nibbling me!

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010   SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SCUBA - Canaray Island Cruise - May 21 2010
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Freek Group Cruises :: 2010 Group Cruises :: Celebrity Eclipse - May 21, 2010 - Canary Islands-
Jump to: