Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Article on Royal Champions

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm

I think what it all comes down to, is, that it was a nice gesture gone wrong.

RC's were recognized for past posts, not promised stuff in the future for continued good posts. That's the difference that no one seems to get. It has been blown way out of proportion. And since it is a Cruise Critic issue, we prefer not to rehash it here on Cruise Freeks.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:30 pm

I know...but at least I got to use my banned botton again....woohooo two times in two days!! Hot damn I'm on a roll!! Where's Michele..she's next..
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:36 pm

and i gave you a little boost with the plus sign too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:39 pm

scroll up to rons post above my last one, do you see that little thanks button? do i need new glasses?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 4:40 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
Where's Michele..she's next..

stickingtongueout Come and get me. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hey don't you go and get ban happy.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:17 pm

Ron...you are the ban-master.....

Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:31 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Ron...you are the ban-master.....

and don't you forget it pal-of-mine......glad to see you got done washing the fire truck..lol
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 5:36 pm

Ron,

I'm not sure which member you banned, but I have some opinions on this thread, that I don't think go with the majority. So, at the risk of everyone's wrath, read on.

Greyghost wrote:
I find it interesting that this thread seems to jump on the individual who wrote the article rather than the questions of whether royal champions is an ethical marketing campaign. It would seem from this USA Today article that other cruise lines, including RCCL's own Celebrity, do not think it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=64249547.blog

In considering what I have read, I personally have to agree that the RCCL marketing department has overstepped the bounds of what is proper. Giving rewards to people to "pimp" ones product, in many cases by what I would call Hidden Operators, cannot be considered ethical, anymore than subliminal messages on the television. If someone wants to spend their time on the many cruise boards shouting the greatness of RCCL as paid touts, that is fine - IF they announce that they are receiving rewards for doing so. Sort of like having the Paid Infomercial announcement on TV programs.

Remember, don't shoot the messenger, discuss the merits of the message.

I find nothing wrong with this post. Pat posted a link, and Michele jumped on Anita in the second message. I read Irv's post as referencing that. I too think it is worth discussing the ethics of the program, without getting into who is or is not a Royal Champion.

Greyghost wrote:
Did you read the USA Today article? Are you saying that they, along with the quoted executives of the other cruise lines are also "making up the truth"? I don't doubt that many, if not most, of the RC members would probably post legit info. That is why I think RCCL has done a disservice to them by giving many readers the perception that their posts are tainted.

If RC members note in their posts that they may be receiving compensation for their posts, I have no problem with the program. If they do not, it taints everyone's posts about RCCL.

I speak here of perception, because "Truth is in the eye of the beholder".

I fail to see anything wrong with this post either. It offers an opinion on the issue. It does ask if a person read the article, but I think that is a fair question to ask, not necessarily an attack.

PH8 wrote:
Give it a rest...whats the matter,did you get banned from CC?

Kathy" A ROYAL CHAMPION"

That post is nothing more than an attack, and uncalled for.

Greyghost wrote:
Kathy,

I haven't been banned from anything. As a matter of fact, I am still trying to figure out what this site that I came upon by accident really is. The welcome said it was a very friendly site. However, when someone tries to intelligently discuss a problem that may undermine parts of the travel industry, I get answers like yours.

Is that your limit for intelligent discourse?

If I were Irv, I would have left the last line off the post, as that did nothing but inflame the situation.

PH8 wrote:
Greyghost wrote:
Kathy,

I haven't been banned from anything. As a matter of fact, I am still trying to figure out what this site that I came upon by accident really is. The welcome said it was a very friendly site. However, when someone tries to intelligently discuss a problem that may undermine parts of the travel industry, I get answers like yours.

No,but you're not worth wasting my breath on.........

Again, another direct attack on what is supposed to be a "welcome everyone board".

Why can't everyone just play nice?

Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Event

Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Event

Steve Mencik, ACC
The Vacation Stop
"The only stop you need for all your vacation plans."
http://thevacationstop.com
Travel For Charity - http://thevacationstop.com/charity.shtml
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:07 pm

He asked to be reomoved from this "den of idiots" therefore I did. Not that I have to explain my actions to anyone other than the admin.
Back to top Go down
MerryMeetingTravel
Host
Host

Number of posts : 186
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
I know...but at least I got to use my banned botton again....woohooo two times in two days!! Hot damn I'm on a roll!! Where's Michele..she's next..

LOL... and I am still here??

D
Back to top Go down
http://www.MerryMeetingTravel.com

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:35 pm

MerryMeetingTravel wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:

LOL... and I am still here??

D

That's because you are our Mascot D. I would never bann the poster child for the Freeks. lol!
Back to top Go down
Love2Hula
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Love2Hula

Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 6:44 pm

vlscruiser wrote:
Well greyghost I have to taken into consideration that the person who put together the article does not know how to read the truth but prefers to make up the truth. She has a major bone to pick with RCCL which is the way I read her articles based on my personal understanding.

Since I do know several of the RC people, have met them know that they were posting prior to ever being given the title. I KNOW THEY ARE HONEST AND DIDN'T WRITE THEIR REPLIES TO RECEIVE REWARDS. But hey don't let the truth stop you from making up your mind.

Thanks Virginia. Smile

thevacationstop wrote:
I too think it is worth discussing the ethics of the program, without getting into who is or is not a Royal Champion.

The problem with the discussion is that so many people are trying to base their opinions on information that is not correct. No matter how many times we try to correct the masses that the information is wrong, we get attacked (on many forums) and that puts us on the defensive - when we have nothing to be defensive about. Unfortunately, people read something on the internet and think it is true. Well, it was in an article that made it to USA Today so it must be true, right? No - that does not make it true. Too many people have an axe to grind. Those that believe it is a conspiracy, will continue to believe it no matter what we say. Those that know us and know that they can trust what we say will continue to read our posts on all forums for what they are - helpful bits of information with no compensation from Royal Caribbean. If they believe that we are paid endorsements, they don't have to read our posts. But we have been called too many names to NOT be offended by the onslaught of negativity against us after we have been posting helpful information for years prior to this. Sad
Back to top Go down
critterchick
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 845
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:17 pm

Greyghost wrote:
Did you read the USA Today article? Are you saying that they, along with the quoted executives of the other cruise lines are also "making up the truth"? I don't doubt that many, if not most, of the RC members would probably post legit info. That is why I think RCCL has done a disservice to them by giving many readers the perception that their posts are tainted.

If RC members note in their posts that they may be receiving compensation for their posts, I have no problem with the program. If they do not, it taints everyone's posts about RCCL.

I've cruised on RCI over 40 times. Nothing speaks louder or more persuasively than than that to describe what I think of their product. Besides, we're talking about a cruising website, not the conflict in the Middle East or the global economy, for heaven's sake. If somebody wants to believe that my posts are tainted because of being a Royal Champion, so be it. I'll still sleep soundly at night.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:39 pm

oh let's put this issue to bed. do i still like royal caribbean? yes. will i still listen to what everyone say? yes. will i believe everyone? no. if you even offered me an RCL mouse, i'd be champion for your crusade. HA HA everyone. you know i want that damned mouse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 7:50 pm

thevacationstop wrote:

Again, another direct attack on what is supposed to be a "welcome everyone board".

Well some information that you may not be aware of....these people posted on the Cruise Critic board that they were tracking these RC posters to other boards...like it's a big conspiracy. The RCers have always been here. They are some of the "Polar Bears" that we know and love. Very Happy

And Anita, the writer who "broke the huge story" didn't write news...she wrote history. We have been talking about the Royal Champions on CC since the inception back in May 2007. We even discussed them here a few months ago. The RCs have never hidden the fact they were dubbed the "Royal Champions" by Royal Caribbean. They have never hidden what they have received. And just because people are NOW saying that they were "attempting to deceive us by being pro-RCCL" - how? At which point did they attempt to deceive us? When they all came on CC and asked "What is this invitation I just received" {posted back in May 2007}

When they came to cruise freeks and posted in a separate area away from everyone else (their own roll call)?

I talk about Royal Caribbean more than the RCers on here. Laughing So if their job is to talk about Royal Caribbean, then they are doing a poor job of it on cruise freeks. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:10 pm

My only complaint? I wasn't asked to do this job! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:25 pm

mine complaint too is that i didn't get asked. maybe then i'd get a mouse. i know you are thinking pat get over the mouse but i'm having a hard time of it. lol!
Back to top Go down
Love2Hula
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Love2Hula

Number of posts : 86

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:31 pm

Pat - I wish I still had my mouse... I would give it to you. Smile But it didn't work with ANY of my computers because it wasn't a USB mouse. So, I honestly think they had some old shwag they wanted to get rid of. Smile
Back to top Go down
cruisenfever

Number of posts : 2666

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 8:34 pm

Here is the link to where it all started............when selected CC members were getting invitations to the Liberty pre-inaugurals of which there were two dates to select.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=498922&highlight=invitation+liberty+inaugural

Not once, in any of the posts on this thread did anyone who was invited know what a Royal Champion was or that they were about to become one after their pre-inaugural sailing.

No one was paid to attend the pre-inaugural.............they had to pay their own transportation there. No one has received any upgrades/additional perks on booked cruises since becoming an RC........no one has been told what to say on CC or any other cruising forum since becoming an RC.

I'm have been an RC since June of 2008.......my invitation came directly from RCI to attend the Oasis Reveal in NYC. Unfortunately we could not attend The only reward I received since becoming an RC was seeing my name in print in a C&A magazine when I answered a question through Royal Connect on what my dream cruise would be.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:31 pm

[quote="thevacationstop"]Ron,

I'm not sure which member you banned, but I have some opinions on this thread, that I don't think go with the majority. So, at the risk of everyone's wrath, read on.

Greyghost wrote:
I find it interesting that this thread seems to jump on the individual who wrote the article rather than the questions of whether royal champions is an ethical marketing campaign. It would seem from this USA Today article that other cruise lines, including RCCL's own Celebrity, do not think it is.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=64249547.blog

In considering what I have read, I personally have to agree that the RCCL marketing department has overstepped the bounds of what is proper. Giving rewards to people to "pimp" ones product, in many cases by what I would call Hidden Operators, cannot be considered ethical, anymore than subliminal messages on the television. If someone wants to spend their time on the many cruise boards shouting the greatness of RCCL as paid touts, that is fine - IF they announce that they are receiving rewards for doing so. Sort of like having the Paid Infomercial announcement on TV programs.

Remember, don't shoot the messenger, discuss the merits of the message.

I find nothing wrong with this post. Pat posted a link, and Michele jumped on Anita in the second message. I read Irv's post as referencing that. I too think it is worth discussing the ethics of the program, without getting into who is or is not a Royal Champion.

Greyghost wrote:

I fail to see anything wrong with this post either. It offers an opinion on the issue. It does ask if a person read the article, but I think that is a fair question to ask, not necessarily an attack.

PH8 wrote:
Give it a rest...whats the matter,did you get banned from CC?

Kathy" A ROYAL CHAMPION"

That post is nothing more than an attack, and uncalled for.

Greyghost wrote:
Kathy,

If I were Irv, I would have left the last line off the post, as that did nothing but inflame the situation.

PH8 wrote:
Greyghost wrote:
Kathy,

No,but you're not worth wasting my breath on.........

Because I am getting tired of defending myself against the lies..........thats why........I usually am very nice,but enough is enough..I do not get rewarded for saying good things about RCCL......people are believing a writer who is known to be biased.......
Back to top Go down
cruisenfever

Number of posts : 2666

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 9:40 pm

PH8 wrote:

Because I am getting tired of defending myself against the lies..........thats why........I usually am very nice,but enough is enough..I do not get rewarded for saying good things about RCCL......people are believing a writer who is known to be biased.......
And I'm with Kathy............people are believing one person's article that is so full of holes if it were a ship it would sink.

We all know how she botched up the Cleveland Couple that got banned from cruising RCI...........that article was like a volcano ready to explode with all the misinformation in it.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:11 pm

I have no idea what a Royal Champion even is....and I don't understand this thread much. I do know this...it must be very controversial.

Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Mar 18, 2009 11:40 pm

Pat, how much is that mouse worth to you???????????

JustKidding lol!

I thought you got one, I will send you mine.......pm me.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 12:28 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
I have no idea what a Royal Champion even is....and I don't understand this thread much. I do know this...it must be very controversial.

Pete, you wouldn't think it would be so controversial, but some want to make it so.

The reason folks are reacting personally is because posters are using words like the following not only here, but other places. These words are inflamatory in the post below ....Consider how you would feel if folks used words like the following about you, you might react too?

Greyghost wrote:
.....Giving rewards to people to "pimp" ones product, in many cases by what I would call Hidden Operators, cannot be considered ethical, anymore than subliminal messages on the television. If someone wants to spend their time on the many cruise boards shouting the greatness of RCCL as paid touts, that is fine - IF they announce that they are receiving rewards for doing so.

Some people want everyone to "come clean", so I'm just posting this once to say I also was invited to be part of this marketing focus group and was offered nothing to be a RC, not even a floating mouse. Pat if I had one, you could have it. This group honestly, is not that big of a deal. I think anyone would react to being called biased and tainted and a pimp for RCL etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Mar 19, 2009 1:56 pm

You know there is something a lot of people are overlooking. LOTS of companies have focus groups and "cheerleaders" if you will - Royal Caribbean isn't the first and certainly won't be the last to use this type of market research and/or marketing in general. I see no harm. Our polar bears are an honest bunch and, if they say they aren't being compensated - then I believe them.

OnMySoapBox
People love to stir up controversy but, this isn't the place to do it. There is another well known board that lives for this - well - crap. I wanted to write something else but, I'll keep it clean.

So to those who want to rip this topic to shreds, go over to that well known board and play mean over there.

Speaking of which... I have it on reliable source someone from Pennington, NJ was HERE that followed a link on this subject here. I think most of us know who I mean...

So if you're over here or have sent your flunkies over here to turn this board into the cynical, backstabbing, mean-spirited forum I forsaked for this one - a board making the world a better place. Take your nose and shove it where the sun don't shine! You and that type of non-sense isn't welcome here!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Article on Royal Champions   Article on Royal Champions - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Article on Royal Champions
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Message Board Information :: Frequently Asked Questions-
Jump to: