Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Soldiers Angels Program

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Soldiers Angels Program Empty
PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:07 pm

Ivanova wrote:
flowers wrote:
AlohaTad wrote:
I would love to start a foundation. (G)

I think Im more of a follower, than a indian chief. I can find plenty of places who want donations to do on my own. I was making up packages for individual soldiers thru soldiers angels for instance, and then you get pulled into special needs and next thing you know .... Most of the women who send packages say their living room is filling with stuff for shipping. I like behind the scenese things like this.

You definitely don't have to start a foundation to do good. Wink Sending packages to soldiers is awesome!

If you live on one of the coasts, especially NYC, its cheaper to send the at least once monthly package because the postage is going to NYC, so you can send by weight instead of the flat rate boxes. You do get $2 off the bigger flat rate boxes though USPS, which helps some.

If anyone can do one military person a month (3 military max), you have to agree to send at least one package a month, and a letter every week to whomever they assign. After your first one, then you can request male/female or what branch. You can get into the forum unless you sign up for it if you want to see what its all about. Army has longer times over there, so you send longer, so some request Marines who stay shorter for instance.

http://www.soldiersangels.org/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:33 pm

I think my daughter and some of her college buddies would love to do this.....
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:52 am

Ivanova wrote:
I think my daughter and some of her college buddies would love to do this.....

You can get a lot of ideas from the forum. Hawaii in a box, a CD you make and stuff you can buy from the dollar store. I did a breakfast in a box theme. Summer is squirt guns and water ballons from the dollar store with whatever snacks they ask for.
If a few college girls got together and split the costs, it would make things easier, except during the summer when they were not together. You can get a lot into either of the flat rate boxes USPS discounts to ship to military. I think its the weekly letter where most fall down, thats a hard committment for up to 18 months for some of the younger girls.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:21 pm

if they shared the letter writing task, taking turns, then one person wounldn't have to write too often - and they could keep on each other to make sure it gets done and doesn't fall by the wayside.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:26 pm

susan - that's a good idea to take turns writing the letters because i know i can zip off a quick email but to sit down and write a letter to someone i don't know is hard and jane is right that that is what probably falls by the wayside first.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Question/Idea - how many would be interested in making the letter writing/care package campaign a Cruise Freeks project? Perhaps we can tie in a cruise for a lucky member of the armed forces returning home in 2010.

What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:39 pm

Sounds perfect, Tina!

I was just looking around that site and thinking if we (as a family) could make that kind of commitment...

I'd love to be part of the group.
An idea for the letter writing - send a transcript of the weekly goings on around here! LOL

Soldiers Angels Program S-event
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:40 pm

I think it is a wonderful idea, and I'd be happy to help with the project. I already go out to greet troops once a month at the airport, where we give them meals , snacks, and phone cards. Please add me to the letter writing/package list if this is done to honor the military.
Kelcie
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Love the idea!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:06 pm

THAT IS AN AWESOME IDEA.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:13 pm

Another great idea from Tina. I'd be happy to help out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:30 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
Another great idea from Tina. I'd be happy to help out.
Jane gets some of the credit too. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:52 pm

Great idea!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:57 pm

Pat is going to get this set up for us Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:00 pm

Pat..that should keep you busy...we appreciate all your hard work doing this
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:01 pm

Thanks, Pat!

Soldiers Angels Program S-event
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:05 pm

Which group are we signing up for, there is a card group and groups that do pets while the person is overseas, special one time requests that come on sunday. Adopting is just one of the options. The second adoption it says you commit to sending two packages a month and this can add up.

Tina are you going to help underwrite the packages? You can buy packages from the site and just fill in the person's address if you dont want to send them on your own, but adopting requires the largest committment.

Let me know which group folks decide to sign up for. People who send out cards, after that you can sign up for the email group. You have to do snail mail cards before they let you sign up to email someone.

We never get letters back from the adopted soldiers, some do and some dont. If you dont care, then thats ok. But you might not get thanks back, some soldiers dont write or in situations they cant write.

The sunday requests pull at my heartstrings. Those in Afganistan have the least, but we dont get to choose where they are. Maybe someone can talk to Patti the founder directly if they want something out of the ordinary.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:39 pm

Does anyone have some ideas what we would want to do as a group?

Some women sew, there are blankets and scarves to protect from the wind and the sand to sew.

Some join the religious team, the post card team, the special requests, pets, there are lots of different things people can do. Lets see who is interested in doing what?

It just so happens I adopted, but there are other choices.

This is the list of teams we can join.

Teams & Projects - How to Help

Adopt a Soldier - Individualized support throughout deployment

Angel Bakers - Homemade treats for the deployed

Blankets of Gratitude - Handcrafted love for hospitalized veterans

Blankets of Hope - Handcrafted comfort for the wounded
Cards Plus Team - Extra TLC for soldiers & families

Chaplain Support Team - Help chaplains support the troops
Community Team Leaders (CTLs) - Representing Soldiers' Angels at home

Eagle Cane Project - Handmade canes for the wounded

First Response Backpacks - Supplies for wounded in-country
Hero Flights - Emergency travel assistance

Hero Packs - Care packages
K-9 Support - Caring for military working dogs and their handlers

Ladies of Liberty - Extra TLC for deployed females

Letter Writing Team - Personal letters for the deployed

Living Legends - Remembering the fallen and their families

Memorial Portraits - Drawings for families of the fallen

Operation Birthday Cake - Shipping gourmet birthday cakes to deployed troops

Operation Outreach - Supporting families waiting at home

Operation Phone Home - Calling cards

Operation Top Knot - Handmade gifts & virtual baby showers

Scarves - Handmade heat and sand protection

SOS:Kids - Helping deployed soldiers help local kids
Tank Support - Helping Veterans Travel to Medical Appointments

Valour-IT - Adaptive laptops for the wounded
VA Crochet & Craft - Handmade comfort & dignity for hospitalized Vets

Veterans Support - Assisting veterans facilities

Wounded TLC - Letters and care packages for the wounded
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:40 pm

This is a great idea! Personally I think it would be nice to do the letters/care packages for the Wounded - the last one on the list Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:41 pm

Wow! Some great choices!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:47 pm

thanks jane for taking the time for this. let's sign up here for what you will do. i will gladly make (or in my case - buy) package and send them out. sign me up for that jane.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:50 pm

my friend carol makes blankets that you don't have to sew and they are very warm but they probably cost too much. they are made out of fleece fabric but made with a lot of love.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
my friend carol makes blankets that you don't have to sew and they are very warm but they probably cost too much. they are made out of fleece fabric but made with a lot of love.

yes, they make the no sew blankets, fleece for the xmas blankets. the July 4th project was red, white and blue blankets they could put on their beds. Some women find sales online for fleece and post them on the forum, the ones that sew. I dont sew, so I only buy them already made.

Im already sending stuff and committed, but I have some old emails for mods if we want to make any special requests for signing up. Ill use whatever contacts I have to help if we want to do something, but I have to admit Im a little concerned how we could do this as a group.

We are not supposed to tell anyone the contact info for our adopted. We cant even put their rank on packages we send thru USPS (FAQs), just their name and address. Im sure there are groups who do share the soldier's contact info, since I know some church's take on this and meet once a month to package things up. Id think we should clear sharing the contact info with each other before we proceed. It cant be posted in public.

The Cards team is supposed to be a fun one, because they often get letters back to continue writing to. Many of the adoptees, dont write back, so you dont get any feedback on what you are sending. Well, I gotta go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:09 pm

if we centralize the packages going through NYC, then only Tina/Pat need to know the contact info and don't have to share it.

Letters/cards - that's a different story.
Back to top Go down
SundayInThePark
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
SundayInThePark

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2008-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 3:13 pm

This is a great concept - another thought is we could have an area where those in the military can post and share their thoughts/experiences with us here on the board. Then again, that requires internet access...never mind...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Soldiers Angels Program   Soldiers Angels Program Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Soldiers Angels Program
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: