Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

:(

Go down 
AuthorMessage
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

:( Empty
PostSubject: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:13 pm

Well... today was the day. I currently do not have a job, they laid me off... I've never been fired or laid off before... I'm a wreck, between anger and frustration, sadness, worry and everything else... (Mostly anger and frustration) I'm not sure how to react.... What in the hell do I do now? I've been there for 7 years now. I don't even know how to look for jobs now days. I'm so screwed!!!! Sad
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:21 pm

Sorry to hear. This goes without saying but....Come up with a plan... quick, because there are people losing jobs everyday...making for even more trouble.

I wish you luck! Hang in there.

:( CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:23 pm

i am so sorry to hear that. i know how you feel. my husband is laid off and i am next in line at my company to get it. and unemployment in n.j. is very hard to apply for if you have the least little problem doing it online. that happened to my husband and they told him people have been trying to call for over 2 months and online or phone is the only way to do it. i don't know what you do but the first thing is file your unemployment. they now do direct deposit and at least in 2 weeks you get a check. might not be what you expect but it's something. and then you start looking for jobs on careerbuilder.com or one of the many ones out there, newspaper. everything.
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate
lordoftime

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 8:51 pm

Sorry to hear about that. I completely understand your anger and frustration. A few years ago I wasn't even laid off just shuffled to the side and that made me feel the same emotions. It took months to get over it and I still had a job.
All I can say is they will pass eventually but it will not be quick.
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 9:17 pm

So sorry to hear that. You didn't mention what line of work you are in. Maybe someone on here knows someone who knows some one......

Anway will be praying for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 10:04 pm

Greta wrote:
So sorry to hear that. You didn't mention what line of work you are in. Maybe someone on here knows someone who knows some one......

Anway will be praying for you.

Exactly what I was thinking. What kind of work did you do?
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeThu Feb 19, 2009 11:13 pm

I'm so sorry to hear this. After 7 years, thats a long time to be with the same employer to be laid off. cursing

I heard the other day you can get unemployement for a whole year now, if that helps take off some of the pressure to get a job right away. But I hope you find the right job right away if thats what you want. hugs.
Back to top Go down
UtahCouple
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2008-12-07

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:17 am

Hey all, thanks for the replies and support. I'm trying to calm down and have had a few hours to do so and try to put things into perspective.

My job was in the construction industry. I had worked my way up at Stock Building Supply to an outside sales rep selling all the building materials. Since I was located in Park City I had the opportunity to sell materials on these multi-million dollar homes up here. Which is sickening in itself, helping build a 12 million dollar home for a guy that is telling me about how he'll probably only live in it 2 weeks to 1 month a year during the ski season or during Sundance.

But as sickening as it was, it was a very good income and a great position for me. I moved up quickly to that position, since most people it took at least 10 years plus to become an OSR, I did in 3.5 years instead. That turned out to be the reason I was #1 on the OSR chopping block. Even though I've been an OSR longer than some of the others, they had been with the COMPANY all together longer than me, and was a main deciding factor in me being let go. I'll admit I was concerned about being let go, but since I was selling more than 2 of our team (only 1 other salesman above me) I felt I had more time than this. To be cut out simply because I was with the company 7 years instead of 10 rather than justifying how much profit I brought the company is definitely the #1 factor for my anger and frustration.

BUT... That being said, where I "want" to be is in Information Technology. Ironically I actually started my own computer repair/consultation business about 2 weeks ago. Sales were down for sure with the building, so I started my own company as a side gig to make some extra money. Now I'm stuck with a decision... do I try and make this business fly and make it big?? Or do I go hit the job market again and keep this business as a side gig until I'm more confident. I was hoping to have more time to gauge how much work I could get and how much income I could expect with it before I gave it go. Now I'm stuck with a tough decision. I'm still paying college bills for my computer skills... I'd love to put them to work again finally. If possible.

I did register for unemployment, but definitely am not the kind of guy that can stay on it for long. I have to be working or I'll go insane. Plus I have such a hard time with un-employment and wellfare that it's against my own standards to stay on such benefits for long. I'll work 3 jobs if I have to be able to say that I'm standing on my own 2 feet.

One thing that scares me the most is insurance... my son has asmtha, and it was just 4 weeks ago that he had a major asthma attack and we spent 4 days at the childrens hospital down town with him. He has medicine for his nebulizer twice a day and we're trying to keep it controlled, but if he has another attack while I have no insurance.... That would bury us.

Funny how it all comes at once though... we had 2 vehicles before last month, but only needed one because since I was an outside rep I had a company vehicle I could use to get to work and back. Last month though my wife hit some black ice with our SUV and rolled it in the canyon. Thank god she was safe with no injuries, but it totaled the car, and since we still had a loan on it, and the insurance only pays what "they" value it at.... yeah... didn't quite work out so great financially.

So here we are with no income between the two of us, 2 kids still in school, no daycare available in town, 1 vehicle, still getting bills from the hospital as we speak, and just feeling like that guy... you know the one... the one up that certain creek without a paddle.

In the last few hours though I've assured myself that it'll all be ok. I've worked 3 jobs before to get by, though when you work 3 jobs you have no life and I don't even remember the months I spent working those jobs, it was all just a blur... it got us through. I'll do what I have to, and it'll all work out in the end right?

I say one thing though, God Bless Tina and the members of this site! My wife was feeling SO down about everything going on, and we can't afford to celebrate our 10th year anniversary or do anything spectacular. That Celebrity cruise on Valentines next year is suddenly one of the biggest and amazing things we have to look forward to. For that alone we feel blessed.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:24 am

Maybe you can win the world cruise! Sorry...couldn't help myself.
Seriously...a guy with your talents should find work again soon.

:( CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:20 am

Utah - can you get COBRA to carry over your insurance? I know it is costly, but part of the new Obama stimulus plan that just passed will cover a good share of COBRA for people this year. I don't want to misquote the amount but just do a google search if that might apply to you. It can help you keep your family covered so long as you can afford it. Best of luck.

I am about to go on disability myself - correction, about to apply for disability which could take forever and a day and is not at all guaranteed. But I can no longer sit in a chair long enuf to do the long hours required of me. Also can not focus and am losing my mind due to lack of sleep for eight months - but I digress! GOOD LUCK to us all!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 2:27 am

UtahCouple wrote:
But as sickening as it was, it was a very good income and a great position for me. I moved up quickly to that position, since most people it took at least 10 years plus to become an OSR, I did in 3.5 years instead. That turned out to be the reason I was #1 on the OSR chopping block. Even though I've been an OSR longer than some of the others, they had been with the COMPANY all together longer than me, and was a main deciding factor in me being let go. I'll admit I was concerned about being let go, but since I was selling more than 2 of our team (only 1 other salesman above me) I felt I had more time than this. To be cut out simply because I was with the company 7 years instead of 10 rather than justifying how much profit I brought the company is definitely the #1 factor for my anger and frustration.

This sounds like a union bit to me. Seniority is king, and that stinks. I was there several years ago when I was the top producer in the department. I taught flying at a college and I was the only one getting students done even close to on time. Guess what? When we had a downturn, I was the first to go so I really know how you feel. I was re-hired a few months later, but it really stank at the time. Union job; union rules; strictly seniority. YUCK!

Hope the I-T business goes well. With everybody having computers now, that's one of the growing fields. A pusher such as yourself will make it work.
Back to top Go down
taurus988
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
taurus988

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2008-08-25

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 pm

""So here we are with no income between the two of us, 2 kids still in school, no daycare available in town, 1 vehicle, still getting bills from the hospital as we speak, and just feeling like that guy... you know the one... the one up that certain creek without a paddle.""

Just a thought from reading this paragraph - how about opening a day care...at least offer home-based child care.... sounds like it's a need in your town?

:( S-event
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:21 pm

I'm so sorry to hear about your job. Today, go file for unemployment benefits, so that you will get some cash in while you are looking for work. If the place you worked had more than 20 employees you should check into obtaining Cobra benefits for the health insurance for up to 18 months where you make the premium payments. I believe Utah also has a program for employees of companies with under 20 employees where you can get Cobra benefits for up to 6 months. Call the free legal aid office in your county to confirm this. Sign up for whatever children's medical programs that are free or low cost for your family until you are back at work. Call the hospital billing office where there are outstanding bills, and work out a payment plan that is extended. Sometimes they will write off a good portion of the expense to help a family out. Email or call every business contact you have to see if anyone knows of a job opening in the field you want to go into. You have multiple job skills which could work in a variety of settings. Get your resume polished up, and send it . If there is a local job fair in your county, go to it. But most of all, take a deep breath and try and take it one day at a time. I wish you he very best for your family,
Kelcie
Back to top Go down
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:31 pm

2 weeks after 9-11 my company filed bankruptcy. They announced lay-offs of 40% of the staff (which included me) the day before I was to go to FL for my sister's wedding and then a cruise. I didn't know what to do! Cancelling didn't seem like an option, since we wouldn't have gotten any money back anyway (no insurance for me back then!) So we went and enjoyed the wedding and used the cruise as a relaxing way to get my thoughts together. I was off for several months before I found something, but that job lead me to my current job, which I simply love and which pays much more than I was making.

Time heals all wounds, and hopefully you will bounce back quickly and find something even better than your last job. Good luck
Back to top Go down
Immebsmom
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Immebsmom

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:35 pm

If you have a sick child, you might want to check and see if your kid(s) qualify for a healthy kids program through your state. Many states offer them for kids and provide health care coverage for them. Also, you might want to see if the one with asthma can qualify for medicaid(sp?).

I know how you feel about taking a government handout, but remember, the unemployment is insurance that you and your employer paid into. You paid for it so use it. The same with the health care coverage, your taxes have been paying for it all this time, and if you need to use it, you NEED to use it. Remember, even if you get another job quickly, you probably won't be eligable for benefits for 90 days. And a lot of companies are cutting benefits to save money and keep people employed.
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 1:45 pm

I work In NY for the state and they have been trying to close
the facility I work at for over a year now. We are now waiting to
see if they fund it again this year in the State Budget. Its 50/50
we may close. Here is what you can do..

Exercise daily...helps with frustration and keeps you moving.

Read some inspirational books (When bad thing happen to good
people or Dont sweat the small stuff)

I hate pop psych but they do make you feel better and are good
for keeping you from stewing in your on negative thoughts.

Set A goal and accomplish it. When I was sent to the Iraq/Kuwait
I was so upset I took up running. I surprised myself and finished a
marathon (26 miles) running it on sand!!!

Hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: :(   :( Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

:(
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: