Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Alaska - tell me more

Go down 
+4
Murphy
mytee4ever
Wildewoman
NYC Teacher
8 posters
AuthorMessage
NYC Teacher
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
NYC Teacher

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2007-08-16

Alaska - tell me more Empty
PostSubject: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 12:55 pm

All this Alaska talk has me curious - I've never been there and never really thought I'd enjoy it. I'm a city boy and, have a feeling just looking at trees and wildlife all day long is going to be boring.

After reading some of the posts here and the excitement you all seem to have about it, I'm wondering if I'm wrong. So, I'd like to know more about Alaska - what is there to do? what do you like so much about it? besides the weather, how does it differ from a cruise in the Caribbean or Europe?

Looking forward to learning more Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 1:36 pm

The excursions offered in Alaska are different as well ... there are the typical sight seeing bus tours ... but you can't go dog sledding in the Caribbean, or kayaking with the whales Wink, or hiking on a glacier.

The scenery is absolutely stunning, and really pictures don't do it justice.

We just went for our first time 6/28-7/13/2007 for a 7 night cruise and 6 night land tour ... we can't wait to go back!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Wildewoman
Host
Host
Wildewoman

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeMon Aug 20, 2007 2:28 pm

We are cruising to Alaska next September.

Here are what we plan on doing:

A helicopter ride to the glacier where we will strap on crapons - use ice picks to actually clim the 100 year old blocks of ice. We then have a white water rafting trip planned after that.affraid You can select a trek - if you don't want to climb!! no exp. nec.

A beaver float plan trip to an island to watch black bears feed on salmon.

A train ride into the Yukon - to see mountains, river etc. If we can squeeze it it - a river float into an eagle reserve.

In addition to the above shore excursions we plan on taking the Mt. Roberts tram up to view Juneau from above.BeamMeUp

We also plan on stopping off at some local watering holes - like the Red Dog Saloon!! Just to get a T-shirt!!

Also, their are totem pole villages, city tours, white water rafting, IN FACT - The Dealiest Catch has one of their ships there that you can go out on, go crab fishing- then return to a crab feast!!

If you like to fish - that is available too!!
If you wanna talk ALASKA - I'm here!!

On the ship - of course - there is non-stop action!!

Linda
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildetravel.com
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeWed Aug 22, 2007 10:08 pm

I have never had the pleasure of cruising to Alaska, but I have seen the pictures that my mom took when she went. Amazing scenery! She said that it is one of the few places she would like to cruise to again.

Saw the special on the travel channel where they profiled a great cruise. Used Radiance of the Seas (I think) on an Alaskan trip. Makes me want to go.

Go at least once so you can say that you did if nothing else.Smile

Towanda
Back to top Go down
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 7:39 am

We leave for Alaska on in 3 days! Spending 2 nights pre-cruise in Vancouver and then board the Radiance on 9-14 for 14 extraordinary nights! It's the final cruise of the Alaska season and we hit Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Hubbard Glacier, Sitka and Icy Point Strait before hitting the US Pacific coast with stops in Seattle, Astoria, OR, San Francisco and end in LA.

I'm not excited or anything...
We have a Duck Tour planned for Ketchikan
The Whitepass RR/ Yukon bus tour planned for Skagway
A float plane/salmon bake at Taku lodge planned for Juneau
A whale watch tour planned for ISP
and we are punting everywhere else.
Back to top Go down
Wildewoman
Host
Host
Wildewoman

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2007-08-15

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 9:07 am

How exciting!! Where are you staying in Vancouver? What are your plans for the pre-cruise there. Our Alaska cruise is not until NEXT Sept. - and I too have BIG plans already. We think we'll stay 3 nights at the Marriott across the street from the cruise ship terminal. Then spend a day at Stanley Park, go see the bridge & the aquarium.

Write a review when you return.

Thanks.
Linda
Back to top Go down
http://www.wildetravel.com
Murphy

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeSat Sep 08, 2007 9:12 am

We depart from Ballantyne Pier, so the hotel location really doesn't matter for us. We are staying at the Westin Bayshore, close to Stanley Park. We really only have one full day to visit (arriving in the evening of the 1st day and boarding on the 3rd day). We plan to get one of the HOHO (hop-on hop-off) trolley passes and use it to tour the city. We will have dinner at the Sequoia in Stanley Park that night.

Don't worry, we'll come back with loads of info!
Back to top Go down
luvcruising
Carnival Host
Carnival Host
luvcruising

Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2007-08-16

PostSubject: What ship to Alaska?   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeSun Feb 24, 2008 5:49 pm

Wildewoman wrote:
We are cruising to Alaska next September.

Here are what we plan on doing:

A helicopter ride to the glacier where we will strap on crapons - use ice picks to actually clim the 100 year old blocks of ice. We then have a white water rafting trip planned after that.affraid You can select a trek - if you don't want to climb!! no exp. nec.

A beaver float plan trip to an island to watch black bears feed on salmon.

A train ride into the Yukon - to see mountains, river etc. If we can squeeze it it - a river float into an eagle reserve.

In addition to the above shore excursions we plan on taking the Mt. Roberts tram up to view Juneau from above.BeamMeUp

We also plan on stopping off at some local watering holes - like the Red Dog Saloon!! Just to get a T-shirt!!

Also, their are totem pole villages, city tours, white water rafting, IN FACT - The Dealiest Catch has one of their ships there that you can go out on, go crab fishing- then return to a crab feast!!

If you like to fish - that is available too!!
If you wanna talk ALASKA - I'm here!!

On the ship - of course - there is non-stop action!!

Linda

Linda,

What ship are you taking to Alaska?

Thanks, Cathy
Back to top Go down
http://www.luvcruising.com

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 3:54 pm

Hi everyone,
For those of you who have gone before to Skagway, what was you favorite excursion? We've got all the other ports worked out on our Celebrity Millenium trip next May, but this one. we prefer to do private tours as opposed to the ship's excursions. We are already doing a whale watching excursion, a float plane trip to Misty Fjords, and some hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
kk
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 4:18 pm

We did the Skagway train and bus combo tour, with Chilkoot Charters. It was just beautiful up in the Yukon.
Would highly recommend it. I liked Chilkoot charters, becuae they use smaller van type busses, it was a pretty small group.

If you don't want to do the train, some people rent cars and just drive into the Yukon, to see all the scenery.

Here is my webshots album if you want to take a look: Just click on the picture below...

Alaska - tell me more 2856685030101628544neGlTD_th
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks Jen for the information. I've never been to Skagway before, so I'll be sure to check out the tour company. I love the pics, so thanks for posting them. Take care,
kk
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 11:54 am

kk99 wrote:
Hi everyone,
For those of you who have gone before to Skagway, what was you favorite excursion? We've got all the other ports worked out on our Celebrity Millenium trip next May, but this one. we prefer to do private tours as opposed to the ship's excursions. We are already doing a whale watching excursion, a float plane trip to Misty Fjords, and some hiking. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
kk

We did the train/bus tour with the ship. The tour also included a stop at Liarsville. That is a prototype gold mining camp with a cute show and a gold panning demonstration.

The train was great! Of course my wife and I are train buffs. We had our wedding reception inside the Round House at the B&O Railroad Museum in Baltimore almost 21 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 2:10 pm

Hi Steve and Jen,
It sounds like the train is the way to go in Skagway. By the way Steve,
I've a sister who lives in Maryland, and I too have visited the railroad museum in Baltimore many years ago. I remember riding the trains as a child when we would visit from the south to the north and even had sleeper cars . I always viewed them as a big adventure. I'm sure we'll enjoy the train.
kk
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 2:21 pm

Here is the link to Chilkoot, if you want to compare with the ship's offerings.

We did the all day bus/train combo, it included a trip to Carcross, Emerald Lake, the sled dog puppy camp and a barbecue chicken lunch.

http://www.chilkootcharters.com/
Back to top Go down
frannieburr
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 69
Registration date : 2008-05-27

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitimeTue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Hi everyone. Alaska is great i have gone 4 times and going again in sept. of 09 on a cruise that donates money to the foundation of mental health. It has to be booked with a certain person for the money to go to the foundation. They have a special concert by kenny hess.. if you want more info i will gladly tell ya all. it leaves seattle sept. 18.. Gonna be alot of fun..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Alaska - tell me more   Alaska - tell me more Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Alaska - tell me more
Page 1 of 1