Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Rough Seas - Photos & Story

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hopeful Henry
Host
Host
Hopeful Henry

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2007-08-10

Rough Seas - Photos & Story Empty
PostSubject: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:14 pm

Story link: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldnews/article-1129302/Pictured-Storm-tosses-massive-cruise-liner-like-toy-boat.html

What was supposed to be a luxury cruise turned into a nightmare for holidaymakers when a ship was hit by 50ft waves.

Two Britons were taken to hospital after the Balmoral suffered a force nine
gale as it hit rough seas and 60mph winds in the Bay of Biscay.The injured passengers were airlifted to a hospital in north west Spain where they were treated for broken bones.
Rough Seas - Photos & Story Articl10

Rough winds: The Balmoral was hit by 50ft waves in the Bay of Biscay

Passenger Caroline Richmond, who paid £750 for the ten-day trip, told the Mirror: 'Everyone felt sick.' The Fred Olsen liner docked in the Spanish port of La Coruna after setting sail from Dover two Saturdays ago. It was forced to cancel scheduled stops in Lisbon and Tangiers but returned to the UK today.
Rough Seas - Photos & Story Articl11

Nightmare: Two Britons had to be airlifted to hospital after the force nine gale caused them to suffer broken bones

Rough Seas - Photos & Story Articl12
The Fred Olsen ship was forced to cancel the cruise and headed back to Dover

It has since set sail on its next cruise, with 1400 passengers and 500
crew onboard heading for the Canary Islands on a £795 seven-day cruise.

Formerly the Norwegian Crown, the ship was bought from Norwegian Cruise Lines in
2007 and went straight into the shipyard to be stretched.[/size][size=12]The
ship was cut in half and a 30-metre mid-section inserted, making it
around 10,000 tons heavier than it had been (it is now 43,500 tons) and
capable of carrying many more passengers – just over 1,400 instead of
just under 1,000.

The ship, one of five now owned by the company, took its inaugural voyage under Fred Olsen colours last February.
Back to top Go down
Peter M
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Peter M

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2008-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:37 pm

Now those are some rough waves, I've been fortunate enough not to experienced anything similar to this scene... YET!
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:45 pm

Yikes! Can you say extra strength Bonine! I close my eyes when the seas get rough, and just don't look! What a Face
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:47 pm

WOW! I bet that did some damage! What a ride! Great pictures...thanks. Anything can happen at the mercy of Mother Nature!

Rough Seas - Photos & Story CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 3:49 pm

holy crap
Back to top Go down
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:25 pm

OMG!!!!!!

I think I would have died from fright!!!!

I second the HOLY CRAP!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:34 pm

Sante Fesserie! ( HOLY CRAP in Italian!) I could not even imagine..
Back to top Go down
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 4:39 pm

Jackie,

You are so funny!!!!
Back to top Go down
frudutx
Charter Member
Charter Member
frudutx

Number of posts : 1619
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Oh my I'm getting sea sick just looking at the picture and I never get sea sick.

d
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:19 pm

last year coming home over the holidays we had to turn around and go 5 hours out of our way to airlift a sick person off so we ended up hitting a storm we shouldn't have hit. we had gale force winds and it was pretty rough - nothing like that one above - and there were barf bags everywhere. i travel with so much extra bonine that i was handing it out like candy in the elevators.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:26 pm

That brings back memories of our Mariner cruise in 2006. The first day out, it was rocking side to side, so the water in one pool, was sloshing out and running into the other pool, then back again, it was kind of fun. Then on the way back, the last night there were 60 mile an hour winds across the bow. That ship was rocking bad. We were wobbling down the hallways, looking like absolute drunks. ( And we weren't, honest!)The hangers in our closet were banging so that we had to take them off and lay them on the floor. Then trying to sleep was a nightmare. Your head would go down, and you felt like you were going to slide out of bed.That was the worst one we have been on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:33 pm

i fell out of bed in a storm on the celebrity millenium. i was in the very forward first room on deck 8 and it was going up and down and back and forth and next thing i know - i'm on the floor. and yes going down the hallway i would bang right hip on right wall and left hip on left wall. i was very sore at the end of that trip. my legs hurt trying to keep my balance.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:42 pm

Ouch Pat.Where was that one going? We just booked the Oasis for next April and we are traveling with another couple who wanted a balcony next to ours.Well apparently, the only ones left on deck 8 where we want them are up front. I guess that could be a little exciting, looking off the balcony in the morning. We have always had cabins in the back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 5:58 pm

asanchez1961 wrote:
Jackie,

You are so funny!!!!

Aurea,

I just like to have a laugh and make people smile. After dealing with serious illness, well, you know what I am talking about, you have to enjoy each day God gives you, and laugh, it makes you feel good!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeThu Jan 29, 2009 6:17 pm

my philosophy too jackie
Back to top Go down
OU812
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
OU812

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:16 pm

WOW! Shocked That would be enough to turn anyone off from cruising!
Back to top Go down
Ugly Betty Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Ugly Betty Fan

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2007-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 2:29 pm

pale
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 6:49 pm

I was on a battleship in the North Atlantic and we had waves crashing
over the second gun turret. Rumour had it that two sailors were swept
over the side of a frigate that was in our task force. I doubt that
happened but when sailors start telling tales like that you know there
scared.

I would love to be in rough seas like that but not on a cruise ship. People
pay good money and I would hate to see them have a bad time.

As for sailors.........It builds character!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Immebsmom
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Immebsmom

Number of posts : 58
Registration date : 2008-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 7:00 pm

Adirondack Pete wrote:

As for sailors.........It builds character!!!!!!

And from what I hear...you are a character!!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 9:07 pm

well dish that story
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeSat Jan 31, 2009 8:18 pm

I thought it was bad when I experienced the water sloshing out of the pool on a cruise we were on. No one could walk down the hallways straight. I hope I never experience anything like this on any cruise I ever go on.

Towanda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitimeSun Feb 01, 2009 12:55 am

OMG ... those pictures are scary!! I will have to make sure that friends of ours who are considering cruising don't see them. They will never trust me when i say that the boat rocks a bit, but it is smooth sailing most of the time!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rough Seas - Photos & Story   Rough Seas - Photos & Story Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Rough Seas - Photos & Story
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: