Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 10:54 am

This whole mess just saddens me. When I think of friends and relatives of mine who tried everything to have children and couldn't. Some of them did go about it the "old fashioned" way and simply adopted.
Back to top Go down
frudutx
Charter Member
Charter Member
frudutx

Number of posts : 1619
Registration date : 2007-08-10

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 11:34 am

I was reading an article in this mornings paper that states the following.

A big share of the financial burden of raising Nadya Suleman's 14 children could fall on the shoulders of California's taxpayers, compounding the public furor in a state already billions of dollars in the red. And also, the hospital where the octuplets are expected to spend seven to 12 weeks has requested reimbursement from Medi-Cal, the state's Medicaid program, for care of the premature babies, according to the Los Angeles Times. The cost has not been disclosed.

I can only imagine what the bill for all of this will be.

d
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 12:26 pm

frudutx wrote:

I can only imagine what the bill for all of this will be.

The news report that I heard on this estimated the bill to taxpayers would be well over $1 Million.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 12:50 pm

they are estimating total hospital bill to be between $1.3 and $3 million. And this doesn't include any FUTURE medical bills.

yeah, she's a few cards short of a full deck. I'm sure she's seen the gifts/money showered on couples before and thought she could cash in. But the backlash isn't going to work in her favor. No one in their right mind will give her a tv show or book deal worth any serious amount of money, and Proctor & Gamble, et al won't be sending her free diapers, formula, clothes, cribs or anything else.

my guess is that eventually CPS will step in and take the kids away if she's found to be an unfit mother. And that's sad, because keeping siblings together in the system is near impossible and when you're talking about FOURTEEN siblings it will be totally impossible.
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

Number of posts : 56
Registration date : 2009-01-25

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 12:31 am

Here is their website: www.thenadyasulemanfamily.com - very small babies. I find it interesting that the website isn't set up so you can view the comments.......

Hopefully CPS or someone else is a constant figure in that household, I would hate to hear about another Andrea Yates story (the woman who drowned all of her kids in the bathtub).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 8:33 am

Dr Phil devoted his show to this subject for 2 days in a row. These are the gist of the shows discussions......

Wednesday - February 11, 2009

Octuplets Debate
For most single mothers, one child is enough of a handful, but when a 33-year-old woman in Southern California gave birth to eight premature babies — in addition to the six children under the age of 8 she already has — the country started talking! The mother of 14, Nadya Suleman, recently broke her silence, and it is reported that all her children were created through in-vitro fertilization, an expensive and purposeful process. The case has raised questions: How did she end up with eight embryos? How will she care for all of them? Who will pay these children’s expenses over the years? How do we take the children’s well-being into account in reproductive medicine? Dr. Phil and his panel of esteemed guests, including Dr. Jim Sears, co-host of The Doctors, debate the ethical questions that have been raised. Dr. Phil will also speak with Kate Gosselin, mother of eight and star of TLC's Jon & Kate Plus 8, about the challenges of raising eight children.
Thursday - February 12, 2009

Octuplets Scandal
The discussion continues regarding Nadya Suleman, a single mother of six children, who recently gave birth to a set of octuplets. Dr. Phil and his panel of experts, including co-hosts of The Doctors pediatrician Dr. Jim Sears and plastic surgeon Dr. Andrew Ordon, continue to debate this controversial story as even more shocking twists come to light. Did the system fail Nadya? Did Nadya’s doctor behave irresponsibly by implanting that many embryos, knowing of her previous six children? A fertility expert and an expert in medical ethics weigh in. And, some have noted the striking similarity between Nadya and mega mom Angelina Jolie. Is this a result of plastic surgery? Could this unwed mother be trying to emulate the looks and family life of the Oscar-winning star? What does Dr. Andrew Ordon think? And, will the children come home to a safe environment? Learn what concerns a civil rights attorney and the president of a family service organization.

This is being followed very carefully by alot of professionals, Thank Heavens. I watched part of the second show. They were going over how many people it will actually take to help out every week. Many, many things obviously to ponder as more of this twisted story comes to light.
Back to top Go down
Infi
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2009-02-09

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Feb 18, 2009 2:15 pm

Supposedly a psychiatrist has already filed a complaint with CPS regarding the mother, saying that it would be best for all involved if the octuplets were just adopted straight out of the hospital. I tend to agree. They'd be much better off living with loving families who have more time and resources to devote to them.

Also, has anyone else noticed that for big multiple births, companies will usually step up and promise things: diapers, a new van, baby supplies. There has been nothing (that I've heard of anyway) for this woman. If she's hoping to make money off these children (terrible, but entirely possible), it's not going to happen. No one wants to touch this, it's just so strange and full of problems. Even her publicist resigned because she was getting death threats.
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 3:04 pm

Did anyone catch her father on Oprah the other day? I did and I'm confused as to what he wanted to accomplish by doing so......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 4:48 pm

I think he wants to garner sympathy & understanding for his daughter - and put more blame on the doctor.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 5:52 pm

They should make the Dr. raise the babies....and

SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 5:53 pm

pay their college....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:07 pm

just paying to feed, clothe, and house them, not to mention medical bills ... oy!! don't worry about college ... with 14 dependents on that FAFSA form they'll qualify for financial aid. Shocked
Back to top Go down
chrystine
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
chrystine

Number of posts : 238
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:10 pm

I am sure that the State of CA and its taxpayers are paying to feed that family and for all of the medical bills.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:15 pm

medical bills haven't been approved yet - but Kaiser has asked the state to pay - and they do get some good stamps right now for her and the 6 kids, and SSI for 3 of those 6 kids.

but I agree, the doctor should pick up all those expenses (at least for the octuplets) instead of CA's taxpayers.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:42 pm

No worries....I'm sure they will be getting their own Reality TV show to pay the bills.....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:45 pm

Pete, I doubt it. Too much of a hot potato, they aren't getting the donated items, book/movie/tv offers that past families have received, because of the bad PR.
Back to top Go down
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 6:59 pm

the sad part that these babies are going to be suffering. People are forgetting these babies did not ask to be born. No diapers, milk???.

I agree the doctor should pay the hospital bills but no assistance to the babies because of bad publicity??? these are tiny human beings. These PR firms are unbelievable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 7:04 pm

one viewer on Oprah made a very good point ... don't hold the mom (or babies) in contempt ... we can hate the situation, but don't take it out on the PEOPLE involved (although I'm still tempted to take it out on the doctor).

I think the death threats against the publicist were uncalled for.
Back to top Go down
ATV_Road_Rash
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
ATV_Road_Rash

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 26, 2009 7:50 pm

What was kinna sad to hear from Dr. Oz was, that because all of the babies are that small, that the chances are high that all of them will have some kind of health issue.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!   SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!! - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

SoCal Woman gives birth to Octuplets!!
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: