Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Empty
PostSubject: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:37 pm

Formal Wear for Cunard
As you will notice, formal night isn't really all that different than other cruise lines with the exception of the following: almost everyone complies with the dress code and you will see more tuxedos and formal gowns opposed to cocktail dresses and suits on other cruise lines.

BLACK TIE & WHITE TIE DEFINED

White Tie
White tie truly does require a white tie for men. This normally must be a bow tie, usually made of fine quality cotton. For socks and shoes men must don a good quality silk sock, though you can certainly get away with a less fancy sock. Shoes are most often made of patent leather. If an overcoat is worn, this must be an opera coat, and the only appropriate
hat choice is the top hat. There are exceptions to the white tie dress code for men. People wearing full military dress may be exempt from the white tie rule. Also, those wearing state costumes, for example kilts, can wear these in place of white tie accoutrements. Ministers can attend white tie events in simple clerical dress.

For women, white tie requires the most formal gowns. This means full-length gowns accompanied by elbow length silk or cotton gloves. Shorter gowns or tea length gowns, unless worn by younger girls, are not considered acceptable.

Occasions calling for white tie can include State Dinners, debutante balls, some weddings, and premieres of operas. White tie dress used to be required at awards shows like the Academy Awards, but now dress requirements are less formal and frequently flouted. For
formal weddings, occasionally the bridal party will dress in white tie, but only require their guests to dress in formal or black tie wear. It all depends upon the importance of the people marrying and their ability to command their guests to dress in a certain fashion.

Black Tie
Most of the ‘formal’ events in America are Black Tie events. For a black tie event, the gentleman should wear the traditional black tuxedo with a formal white shirt and a black bow tie and cummerbund. The folds of the cummerbund should face upward.

If he is wearing a shirt that has the little pointed collar, the points should be on the outside of his tie. If he is wearing a shirt that has a regular collar, the bow tie should be on the outside of his collar.

Recently, there have been some innovations to the traditional look of the tuxedo attire.
Bow ties and cummerbunds in various colors or patterns are often worn. Some gentlemen prefer not to wear a tie at all but prefer to wear a black button at their necks. These are interesting looks and acceptable for all but the most traditional occasions.

The lady who is going to accompany a gentleman to a black tie event may wear a long gown. If she wears gloves, she should remove them when she sits down to eat her meal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:49 pm

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Nmt1wz10

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Nmt1up10

Ladies
have lots of choices of styles and colors in formal wear. It's a
wonderful opportunity to express your personality through your clothing.
For
holiday cruises you can select any gem color gown and feel right at
home this would include reds, greens, blues, silvers and golds.
However that isn't to say black or other colors need to be excluded.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:59 pm

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Phpqmm10Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Phpsb711
Classic Gentleman's Tuxedo
More modern Gentleman's Tuxedo
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 9:01 pm

Formal Night Don'ts coming soon Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 10:56 pm

Thanks Christina, if possible could you post a few more gowns please, including black ?

I guess we can be pretty sure we won't get a "White Tie" event on the July cruise , so we won't be expected to wear the long gloves ?

queen
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 11:55 pm

I didn't like the first tux where the ends of the white sleeves of the shirt were below the ends of the jacket sleeves.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 1:25 am

flowers wrote:
I didn't like the first tux where the ends of the white sleeves of the shirt were below the ends of the jacket sleeves.

I know this one!

The shirt sleeves are SUPPOSED to stick out from the jacket sleeve!

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 7:04 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
flowers wrote:

I know this one!

It still looks odd when the one next to it doesnt have the white sleeves sticking out. Good thing Im not a man and have to know this one Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:01 am

I like the first one, it does indeed look classical. James Bond eh what !
The second has no 'pizzaz' looks almost line an ordinary jacket and tie.
queen
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:37 am

DancingQueen wrote:
I like the first one, it does indeed look classical. James Bond eh what !
The second has no 'pizzaz' looks almost line an ordinary jacket and tie.
queen

I agree!!! I thought the second one didnt have a tux look to it either.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:52 am

I don't think the second guys jacket fits him quite as nice as the first guys does.

To me....it just looks like he's wearing a suit.

Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 11:56 am

flowers wrote:
NDJollyMon wrote:
flowers wrote:

I know this one!

It still looks odd when the one next to it doesnt have the white sleeves sticking out. Good thing Im not a man and have to know this one Smile

The only reason I knew that....was because I was just fitted for a tuxedo rental a couple months ago. (daughters wedding)
I bought a new tuxedo for myself...but still need to tailor the trouser length, and buy some shirts....and shoes.

Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 12:09 pm

FormerlySanFranBayCruiser wrote:

I once had a good "don't" picture from CC but I can't find it.... it was made of iron chains and was quite revealing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:16 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
flowers wrote:

I know this one!

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! That is absolutely correct Pete. I think it has something to do with showing off your cuff links.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 9:49 pm

...yea...must be those flashy cuff links.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 12:36 pm

bluejay2fly wrote:
FormerlySanFranBayCruiser wrote:

I once had a good "don't" picture from CC but I can't find it.... it was made of iron chains and was quite revealing.

I remember her and her hubby!!!!! It was actually chain mesh. Shocked They spent alot of time on the Carnival board at CC. He made the dress for her. It was the ONLY time I have ever seen someone asked to leave the dining room. Laughing Laughing Laughing

I'll let you know if I can find it.

Christina - you are making me dizzy. Laughing Do we have any photos from the past CF cruises on Cunard? It might help to see real people and not size zero runway models. Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 6:37 pm

That is a good idea of pics from previous cruises to see real people.

I am also looking forward to seeing "don't" photos. I went on a preliminary shopping expedition today and saw some very elaborate ball gowns , I have a feeling they were don't's.
queen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 7:24 pm

I like the more "modern" looking tux. I went to the Goodwill today..man was it packed!! You can tell the economy is in the toilet when you have to wait in line 15 minutes at the local goodwill. On the upside I did find two sports coats. I know they will not work for formal nights but they should do for semi-formal nights. They were five bucks each. I will post them when I figure out how.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 8:36 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
I like the more "modern" looking tux. I went to the Goodwill today..man was it packed!! You can tell the economy is in the toilet when you have to wait in line 15 minutes at the local goodwill. On the upside I did find two sports coats. I know they will not work for formal nights but they should do for semi-formal nights. They were five bucks each. I will post them when I figure out how.

Ron, don't let the ladies try to intimidate you about clothing. Keep a few simple rules in mind and you'll be fine:

1. Christmas & New Year's will be more Formal than the July 1st sailing. I'm positive you can wear a dark suit on Formal nights for the July 1st sailing and feel like you blend with the crowd.
  2. Jackets are required, yes even on causal elegant evenings. Even on shorter cruises.
  3. Evening begins at 18:00 (6 PM). Dress codes need to be observed throughout the ship the entire evening.
  4. Most people realize that clothes do not make the man (or woman) and, you're better off not knowing those who would be so shallow to judge you in this way.
  5. If you feel uncomfortable, let me, Patrick or Nick know and, we'll try to help you out.
  6. Moose slippers should have top hats on before entering the dining room Wink
  7. Relax and enjoy yourself. Let this be about enjoying the experience of cruising an ocean-liner and not about what you're wearing. You're with your Cruise Freek Family and we won't let you feel inferior - ever.
Derek
Back to top Go down
NYC PD
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
NYC PD

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2007-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 8:46 pm

Ron,

I couldn't agree more - don't let the clothing stuff get to you. As long as you are clean, make an effort and at least attempt to comply to the dress codes, no one will be making faces, pointing or judging. Just have fun and enjoy the beauty and majesty that is Queen Mary 2.

Vic (the cop)
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/kingofqueens71
Jfultz81
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Jfultz81

Number of posts : 124
Registration date : 2008-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 25, 2009 1:15 pm

Derek wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:

Ron, don't let the ladies try to intimidate you about clothing. Keep a few simple rules in mind and you'll be fine:

1. Christmas & New Year's will be more Formal than the July 1st sailing. I'm positive you can wear a dark suit on Formal nights for the July 1st sailing and feel like you blend with the crowd.
  2. Jackets are required, yes even on causal elegant evenings. Even on shorter cruises.
  3. Evening begins at 18:00 (6 PM). Dress codes need to be observed throughout the ship the entire evening.
  4. Most people realize that clothes do not make the man (or woman) and, you're better off not knowing those who would be so shallow to judge you in this way.
  5. If you feel uncomfortable, let me, Patrick or Nick know and, we'll try to help you out.
  6. Moose slippers should have top hats on before entering the dining room Wink
  7. Relax and enjoy yourself. Let this be about enjoying the experience of cruising an ocean-liner and not about what you're wearing. You're with your Cruise Freek Family and we won't let you feel inferior - ever.
Derek

Well said!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:12 am

Hi Christina,
Hope you are still going to post Formal Night Don't Question
queen
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 9:31 am

i would like to see the dress someone's husband made for her where they were actually asked to leave the dining room
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:38 am

oesnjstar wrote:
i would like to see the dress someone's husband made for her where they were actually asked to leave the dining room

Ok, here is the formal night "don't" that Michelle and I were talking about-

http://images21.fotki.com/v632/photos/9/938406/4715948/Chainmail3-vi.jpg

http://images22.fotki.com/v723/photos/9/938406/4715948/Chainmail5-vi.jpg
Back to top Go down
Pam M
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Pam M

Number of posts : 97
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitimeWed Jan 28, 2009 10:50 am

affraid Talk about tasteless. I'm surprised they allowed her to walk around like that! People's arrogance or ignorance (not sure which applies in this case) never ceases to amaze me! Sometimes I really worry about our society and how much it's declining in taste and morality. JMHO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4   Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christina's Fashion Crash Course for QM2 - Part 4
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Line Specific Boards :: Cunard-
Jump to: