Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Cruise Coffee

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:13 pm

I want to know if I am alone in the universe with my disdain
for the coffee served on all cruise ships. I am looking for some
ideas on how to manage the undrinkable. Its probably worse
for me because I drink it black no sugar.

I have one solution in the works. I bought a plastic French Press
If I bring the coarse grounds all I would then need is hot water
which Thank God for tea drinkers is almost always available.

Does this sound a little extreme?

I have seen people on message boards complain about shower
curtains vrs. doors which seems far less important.
Back to top Go down
forbesj

forbesj

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-12-08

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:33 pm

Crying or Very sad to say, you are not alone. ( If you can call what they serve coffee....)

The solution to the problem is as follows:
1) Find a good reliable source of some freshly roasted coffee beans (whole or
ground (if whole - be sure to grind them before you pack them) )
2) Purchase an AeroPress: http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress.htm
3) Bring them with You

And

Make You Own. (The ships have plenty of hot water )

cheers
Back to top Go down
forbesj

forbesj

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:44 pm

Pete,
the second part of your post did not show up when I first opened the thread. Question

If you are a coffee snob, like me. then No this is not extreme. Think of the alternatives...

and YES, decent coffee IS way MORE important than shower doors & curtains. (IMHO)
Back to top Go down

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 6:45 pm

If you book a GS or higher on a RCCL ship, they now have the electric kettle and French Press in the cabin.........

I hate the ship coffee,,,,,,wont even drink it.......
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:17 pm

You had to get me started on coffee...didn't you!
Yea....coffee is a passion of mine. Yes...It's very important to me as well. Some people like their wine....I like my coffee.

Cruise ship coffee is pretty much....swill. It borders undrinkable in some instances. A halfway descent cup can be found, if you know where to look.

Usually you can find a good cup of brewed coffee around the ships atrium, or coffee bar. Princess has a COFFEE CARD you can buy, and they punch it when you order a latte or espresso. If you have the card, and flash it to them...they'll give you a cup of pretty good brewed coffee. (and they don't punch the card...just check iif you have one) You can buy the card, and drag it from ship to ship. If you buy one mostly for brewed coffee, and not specialty beverages...remember to keep at least one punch on the card...so you get free brewed coffee on the next cruise.

RCI, Princess, Carnival....all use that horrible coffee syrup in many venues onboard. Sometimes you can find brewed coffee in the dining room...but not often.

I have French Presses, and a couple portable brewers for travel. I don't like to have to bring one...but sometimes do. (like on a 15 day Hawaii cruise)
I sometimes plan cruises then go to my favorite coffee growing areas. (Kona, Hawaii or The Blue Mountains in Jamaica) I love those coffees! Some of my other favorites are Costa Rican, Panama, and Honduran coffees. (easy spots to cruise to...but I haven't yet been!)

Ok...back to making your own coffee onboard.
The only problem I see with using the French Press or Aeropress is...
The water temperature. Will the room service urn of water be HOT ENOUGH to properly extract the coffee? For best extraction, the water temperature needs to be around 195 degrees...or real close. Anything less...may bring dismal results.

If I were to brew the coffee this way...I believe I would buy a cheap immersion heater to heat the water a little hotter. The can be found locally, and usually cost less than $10.

If you are going to use a French Press...make sure you grind your coffee coarser than auto drip grind....or you may end up with a plugged screen...or thick mud in your cup.

My wife usually FREEKS out when I start tossing out her shoes out of the suitcase to make room for my coffee maker, grinder, cups, good fresh coffee....
Oh well, she's not complaining when she's sipping a fresh brewed cup of Kona on her balcony in the morning!

That reminds me...I need to roast up some fresh coffee this weekend.
(yea...I have my own coffee roaster! How you supposed to get fresh coffee if you buy it from a store!) cheers

Cruise Coffee CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
forbesj

forbesj

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 7:33 pm

"..Anything less...may bring dismal results...."
Sometimes those results can be better than what is being offered.

I have not ventured down the roast you own road...

"..How you supposed to get fresh coffee if you buy it from a store.." No Store
I have a source (minister at our church) that roasts mid week, then 'delivers' on Sunday. cheers

Nothing better than freshly roasted coffee :taz:
Back to top Go down
dream2cruise
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
dream2cruise

Number of posts : 248
Registration date : 2008-08-21

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:36 pm

Cafe con Leche is awesome!!! My brother lives in Costa Rica and he brings me freshly grounded Costa Rican coffee and it's delicious
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 8:39 pm

They make a mini kuerig and I was contemplating buying that one. I know about
how nervous the cruise industry can be about fire at sea so I wouldnt dare bring a hot plate. A stinger as Pete suggested would also be small enough to squirrel away.

I want it mostly for the room in the AM. On Cunard they are good about not charging for espresso, cappuc. or american when in the dining room. Many ships have very nice coffee bars and I do not mind paying for some ocassionally but I cannot monetize my addiction there.

I liked my Baily's solution but I was packing on too much weight!

We are sailing on Princess soon and I shall take your advice and will buy the card.

I'll bring the press, stinger, and grounds as back-up.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Jan 21, 2009 11:33 pm

I own 3 full sized Keurig machines....and the mini for travel! In fact, I got my hands on the B130 hotel brewer long before the B30 mini was designed and sold. (they are much the same, mine is built to take a beating)

I love K-cups! I have a pod brewer as well (Cuisinart SS1) which also takes my fresh grinds. Not sure what I'll take on the upcoming Princess trip....

Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 12:29 am

I bought the Tassimo ever heard of that?

Its pretty neat makes espresso along with all kinds of European coffee. Basically, I got lazy, back in the day I would grind my own beans--I used to live near a roasting plant so they were fresh. Now I just use the K-cups or T discs. In all fairness I am pretty busy working for NYS at night and on the house by day. I really do not have the time to cook or make great coffee like in the past.

So Pete I guess that tears it I'll go to the store and get one. I could use it at work
where people mostly drink instant...yeach!!!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 2:37 am

Tassimo...yea. Some people like them...I've not tried it.

The Keurig B30 is a nice little machine. Very versitile, and small. You can use fresh ground coffee in it, or coffee pods as well as K-cups. (you'll need a couple inexpensive adapters) You can use it with tea K-cups, loose tea, or tea bags.
Hot chocolate or instant Oatmeal or instant soup.....loads of possiblities.

Do I love Keurig? Hell yea!

Here is the travel B30 mini:

Cruise Coffee Keurig_B30_Black

Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Penny....
how was the coffee on Ruby Princess on your recent cruise???

Back to top Go down
Carole
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Carole

Number of posts : 64
Registration date : 2008-04-19

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:02 pm

You are not alone. I guess I am too picky. Whether it is McDonald's or ships coffee, it all tastes like something you could start your car with! LOL

I prefer my own but am not lugging a coffee pot with me. I'll drink hot tea for breakfast. Smile

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 6:40 pm

I'm with Pete,
I want my own fresh ground coffee, my espresso machine, and hot. The only decent cruise coffee I've ever had is at the speciality coffee bars. I don't want syrups or flavorings, just the real thing. Otherwise, I'll drink water with breakfast. I've actually planned days in ports around a stop for good espresso. At least at my office, they like the real thing, and instant is never an option. On our last cruise on the Solstice, the Greek captain liked his coffee ,and the barrista made sure that it was made correctly, which was worth every extra penny to this coffee addict.
Back to top Go down

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 7:51 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Penny....
how was the coffee on Ruby Princess on your recent cruise???

Pete I dont drink coffee so I couldnt tell you. Hubby didnt complain but he is use to navy coffee and he's a complainer
Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:03 pm

My Mom just did 18 days on Princess, and said the coffee was terrible.

We've had pretty good coffee on Royal Caribbean, they use Seattle's Best, and usually it's best in the dining room. The buffet coffee can be pretty bad.

I also really liked the coffee press and tea kettle we had when we splurged on a RFS suite on RC, then I could bring fresh ground beans.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeWed Feb 04, 2009 8:32 pm

...that's it. I'm bringing my coffee making supplies.

Back to top Go down

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Aeropress; Coffee source   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:13 pm

Hi,

I am in complete agreement that the cruise ship 'coffee' is not much more than colored dishwater. The Aeropress sounds interesting; I just may invest. If I take that with grounds already in it up to the buffet for breakfast and use the hot water directly from there, I would think it would work. Of course, this precludes having a cup before leaving the cabin... Maybe the little cup heater would be the best.

As for coffee itself. We have a wonderful local coffee shop where they roast in house. The son, who used to baby-sit for us years ago, is so good at roasting that Ethiopia had him over to be one of the tasters/graders of their specialty crop a year ago. He has been known to spend the better part of a week matching a blend when one of the components runs out and he has to start over.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:21 pm

The Aeropress gets rave reviews...but I don't have one. When I don't use a coffee maker, I have a Bodum French Press or use a handpresso....which makes a cup of espresso pretty much....anywhere. (just need hot water)

Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:43 pm

The Aeropres is GREAT! I do believe my husband Forbes posted something about it on here. We have been using one for almost a year now. He drinks more coffee than me at night so it is convienent to have a way of making just one super cup of coffee.
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 12:47 pm

For anyone wanting to know what an Aeropress is:

It's a single serve coffee maker that is portable:

Cruise Coffee Aeropress

Back to top Go down
JJ2sail
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1481
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitimeThu Feb 05, 2009 1:43 pm

I got hubby a thermal mug/press. For his camping trips with the boy scouts. He liked it. The only thing is, you have to wash it out and start over for a second cup. But I guess that's with any french press.

Cruise Coffee 1299773
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Cruise Coffee Empty
PostSubject: Re: Cruise Coffee   Cruise Coffee Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cruise Coffee
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: