Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio

Go down 
+24
Cruising Rays
Big Red Robyn
bjjost
chrystine
Immebsmom
Jfultz81
VJMorrow
Adirondack Pete
cruiseforme
mytee4ever
flowers
Carole
diaz loves 2 cruise
Cruise Virgin Vinnie
lolomeme
thevacationstop
darlene
taurus988
dream2cruise
Greta
JJ2sail
Admin
BrandonH61
NDJollyMon
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 15, 2009 4:22 pm

marina - your job sounds so interesting.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 9:07 am

Hi, Im Jane, and addicted to cruising, so I can say, yes I'm a Cruise Freek. I'v always had a lot of drive and the entrepreneurial spirit. I started as a programmer with Ross Perot after I got my MBA, but was buying houses on the side. I made most of my savings by buying and selling houses and fixing them up. Hard work and folks kept asking me "when are you going to get a "real job". I used to be quite the athlete. Won the women's open division for Dallas tennis when I was a aged 32, beat out the teeny boopers. Have a lot of table tennis trophys too. Im quick with the hands. Probably why I could also play the clarinet. I have a music undergraduate degree.

I tend to take a subject and try and master it, and cruising happens to be that subject lately. I try and soak up as much knowledge as I can. I love to help others and tend to quietely take on folks who need help in life. "Adopting" other's children to give them more attention for instance. I try to find ways of giving back to society because I'v been lucky.

Most of my adult life Iv done real estate, but lately Iv been errand girl for my parents. Keeps me from working or making definite plans, as sometimes the plans go topsy turvy. I cancelled several cruises in 2008 but hope to make up for it in 2009.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 3:16 pm

Hello, my name is Susan, and I'm a cruise addict. Wink

Okay, with that out of the way here's my bio:

I am 45 years old (BD: Nov 10) and am married to John (41 years old, BD: Aug 15). Yes, yes, he's younger than I am, get over it. Wink Our 19th anniversary will be June 30th. We have one daughter, Rebecca (aka Becca, Beckster, Eck, Princess Beck Beck) who will be turning 19 April 2nd. We are California natives (I was born in Arcadia, John in Beaumont, and Rebecca in Redlands). I won't bore you with all of the cities I lived in while in California. Very Happy We moved to Tennessee in June 2006 when hubby's company (Nissan North America) relocated their headquarters from Torrance, CA to Franklin, TN. So here we are, liberal-left-wing-communist-dog-Californians living in the Bible Belt, and nobody has killed us yet. Wink

Rebecca graduated high school here in Tenessee last year and started her Freshman year at Western Kentucky University in August of last year. She finished her first semester on the Dean's List (whoo hoo!!!). And she's currently in Washington DC and will be attending the inauguration tomorrow (without me!!!).

Yes, hubby works for Nissan (headquarters) ... Infrastructure Arhitect, Networks & Security Information Systems. All I know is that he's a techie geek. Razz Working in the auto industry right now is rocky, but Nissan is definitely doing better than the Big 3.

I got my Bachelor Degree in Political Science but have yet to realize my dream of working in DC (other than two internships I did, one with a US Senator and one with a House Representative). And note, I'm NOT going to the inauguration, but my daughter is and she ain't majoring in Poli Sci. How'd that happen???

Before becoming a travel consultant I worked for about 22 years with a public utility company in Southern California. I started in their customer service center as a phone rep, did that for about 12 years, and then became a Business Analyst. All in all, I hated my job for 22 years. Moving to Tennessee "forced" me to quit that job and allowed me to focus solely on being a TA (something I'd started 2 years before leaving California).

So now I am a professional Travel Consultant aka Escape Artist (I stole that from another TA that came up with it). My niches are 18-23 year old travelers (mostly college students) and using travel to help support charity (i.e. group cruises, group land tours, etc.). But that doesn't stop me from helping honeymooners, families, etc.

Our first cruise was a 4 nighter on the Disney Wonder in Nov 2003 (yes, before I became a TA). Hubby though we'd only cruise once and that would be it. He then insisted on our next 2 cruises, another 4 nighter on the Wonder and then a 14 night Eastbound Panama Canal cruise on the Disney Magic in 2005 from LA to Port Canaveral. Since then we've cruised as a family on NCL (Western Caribbean) and RCCL (Northbound Alaska). And we're looking forward to the QM2 as a family for Christmas this year!!!!

Non-cruise wise our daughter has been to more countries than either me or my husband, mostly because of a Contiki Vacations tour we sent her on last summer (high school graduation gift). So we have some catching up to do.......

Edited to add:
My screen name, Ivanova. I'm a wee bit of a sci-fi fan, including Babylon 5. One of the main characters was Commander Susan Ivanova. I'm Susan. Thus my screen name, Ivanova.

Last edited by Ivanova on Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 3:53 pm

Well if you don't know me, you must be hiding under a Rock because I'm all over this board like the plague but, for the benefit of those who would like to know my full story or at least the short version, here we go...

I'm Nick and my birthday is April 18, 1964. Born and raised in Staten Island, New York to two of the most loving parents anyone could have ever hoped for - raised a strict Catholic, I went to parochial school and then on to Cooper Union in Manhattan for college. Knowing I was going to get into our family business of construction (we build and restore homes), I could have just taken up space in college but, I did manage to earn my degree in civil engineering. Yep, I actually have a functioning brain, who knew Laughing

After college, during a weekend at the Jersey shore is where I first met my wonderful, ever so patient wife Leanna. It took me over a year of earning her trust before she finally agreed to go out with me and, we've been together ever since and we've married for 11 wonderful years. Unfortunately, children don't seem to be in the cards for us and, this has been a major disappointment in our lives. We've been talking about adopting but, for now we're just enjoying ourselves and using our disposable income doing the one thing we love above all others - cruising!

Our first cruise was our honeymoon which was arranged by our board Admin Tina after being referred to her by a friend - this is when Tina was still an active travel agent. We sailed on Royal Caribbean's Grandeur of the Seas and, if you can remember that far back, this ship was state of the art at the time. We were hooked. Since then we average between 3 to 5 cruises per year depending on length and Leanna's work schedule.

I'm Nick and, I'm a true Cruise Freek!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 4:28 pm

good to have you back. hope mom is doing much better. i work for a civil engineering firm and we are dead - dead - dead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 4:48 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
good to have you back. hope mom is doing much better. i work for a civil engineering firm and we are dead - dead - dead.

Believe it or not our firm is still hiring engineers. Both in our Maryland and Illinois office. Looking for both civil and structural engineers.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:15 pm

Barbee524 wrote:
oesnjstar wrote:

Believe it or not our firm is still hiring engineers. Both in our Maryland and Illinois office. Looking for both civil and structural engineers.

Raytheon in MD is hiring software and systems engineers too. You must have a TS/SCI security clearance. If you have to ask what that is, you don't have it....
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:17 pm

really. here we have 2 offices and within the last year we have laid off 1 civil engineer, 1 soil guy, 2 field crews, 1 draftsman and 2 secretaries. they have cut all the hourly people from 40 to 32 hours per week (and our salary too) and they need to bite the bullet and get rid of some of the survey draftsman but they haven't done it yet.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:26 pm

thevacationstop wrote:
You must have a TS/SCI security clearance. If you have to ask what that is, you don't have it....
Sounds about right. Wink
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:30 pm

Susan....Princess beck beck! You crack me Up! Laughing I support your husbands employer...as I drive a Nissan Titan 4x4 everyday!

Nickster...you are only 6 weeks older than me! I should have known you went to Catholic School...being such a rowdy! stickingtongueout

Thanks for the bios...keep 'em coming people!
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 5:41 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Susan....Princess beck beck! You crack me Up! Laughing I support your husbands employer...as I drive a Nissan Titan 4x4 everyday!
She hates Princess Beck-Beck, which of course is why I use it every now and then. lol!
And thank you for supporting Nissan!! I drive a Frontier because it gets better gas mileage than the Titan, but I do miss my Titan. Sad
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:01 pm

Hello All...

My name is Towanda (43) & I am a Cruise Freek! I'm married to Forest (43...4 months older than me) who was my high school sweetheart. We waited until I was done with college before we got married & just celebrated our 21st anniversary last October. We were both born & raised on Long Island. I have a BA in Political Science from SUNY Stony Brook (which is now just Stony Brook University...at least that's what my alumni mail says!) I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, but that is not what was in the cards for me. We now live in southeastern PA...about 35 miles west of Philadelphia...on the edge of Amish country. Our local Wal-Mart super center has parking for the buggies! Yes, major change mentally as compared to our lives on Long Island.

My dh is the A-V manager at Immaculata University. He is also a mobile DJ...you know weddings, corporate events, etc. Because of his affiliation with an on-line DJ group, we have been on 6 cruises as they had their conventions on Carnival ships. Our first cruise though was back in 1997 on the Carnival Imagination. My mom (who is a techno-phobe, so don't expect to see her on here ever! lol! ), had several cruises under her belt when we decided to give it a try. Still have a way to go to catch her total. We have a total of 8 cruises...all with Carnival.

We have 4 children. Our oldest ds is 20 & is a Marine. He is currently at Camp Pendleton. He says he is never coming back to the east coast as it is too cold here for him now. He was home for Thanksgiving & complained about the cold, but didn't bring a coat home with him. I wonder why he was cold Shocked . Oldest dd is 18 & a senior in HS. She has plans on becoming a broadcast meteorologist. Next ds is 13 & he's in 7th grade & dd is 11 in the 5th grade. Both girls are still in Girl Scouts & older dd earned her GS Gold Award this past summer.

We are looking forward to our trip on Cunard this summer and are truly grateful for the opportunity.

Towanda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:18 pm

Towanda, you're an Island girl? What part of the Island?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 8:44 pm

Hi, I'm Derek, I mainly post on the Cunard board and, don't make out here to the main pages. Nice to meet you.

I'm from a military family here in the UK, and, I was fortunate enough to attend Eaton (which is a secondary school or a high school for those in the States), from Eaton I went on to study at Cambridge and, after earning my degree, I entered into service for her Royal Majesty Queen Elizabeth as one of the Queen's Life Guard. This is the mounted unit you'll see around Buckingham Palace as well as other locations.

After leaving the Queen's Life Guard, I am now a professional equestrian and, am just enjoying the quiet country life for a change of pace.

My love of cruising began early with my parents often taking QE2 back and forth to the States. Having tried several lines, I always return to Cunard - my floating home away from home.
Back to top Go down
cruiseforme
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 1921
Registration date : 2007-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 19, 2009 11:51 pm

Aiiteee...........here's a Polar Bear!....i'm Julie and my dh is David....We've been married 32 years this July. We have two daughters. The oldest (29) is married and has 4 kids (7-boy)(4-girl)(10wk old twin boys---born the same time Bennet was)...the other daughter (26) is married and lives in Indiana working at Purdue. We live in Branson, MO where dh is a partner in a chain of Dollar Shops and I manage one of our tourist shops on the strip in Branson.

Our first cruise was 'Big Red Boat" back in 1996....I wasn't sure about cruising since I get carsick going across town but I was the one that fell most in love. Since then we have done about 20 cruises. My favorite is Alaska...I could whale watch all day every day!!

We were on Radiance of the Seas over 9/11.....That was probably one of our most memorable cruises. We spent Fri on the internet booking rental cars and stayed on the ship for the two day 'shuttle' from Vancouver to Seattle. When we hit Seattle I could have kissed the ground! Being stuck out of the country was a tad bit scary! We then drove home 2784 miles. Nothing like memories of cruises!!!

I'm either surfing cruise sites---CF being my favorite (I rarely get over to cc anymore...can't stand all the negativity) or reading travel books.. I would LOVE to be a TA....just haven't quite figured out how to yet....

I go to trade shows about 4-5 times a year and love doing the buying for the chain of stores.

My latest love is scrapbooking.......Since I sell a TON of it in the store, it has become easy to be addicted. I'm still working on my PB scrapbook...it's been the toughest!! I had wayyy too many pictures that were just great!

I love being a Cruise Freek! I asked Jen to make our door sign so that I could make sure to have it hanging on my door when I cruise in 2 weeks....(THANK YOU JEN!!)

jul Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 10:32 am

Ivanova wrote:

I got my Bachelor Degree in Political
Science but have yet to realize my dream of working in DC (other than
two internships I did, one with a US Senator and one with a House
Representative).

Susan, I had no idea you also learned how to do the Potomac two step in your younger years. One of these days we'll talk politics Wink While I was working with AT&T under gov't status, I was frequently on The Hill. We'll compare notes!
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:22 am

Yup, did it, loved it, would do it again. Wink Just can't get my husband to move to the DC area. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Adirondack Pete
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Adirondack Pete

Number of posts : 163
Registration date : 2008-09-04

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 5:42 pm

My name is Peter and I am 43 yrs old. I served 4 yrs in the USN two of which
were on the Uss Iowa BB 61. I stayed in the Reserves until 2006 when I finally
retired, but only after spending 7 months in Kuwait/Iraq as Sand Sailor. I had a late start on cruising because of the demand on my time, mostly caused by the Navy Reserves and its training requirements.

We started like many on a 4 day Caribbean on RCI back in 07. Since then we have managed many often trying to escape this frozen mountainous forest we live in.
We like Cunard as I was an Elizabethian Literature major (which explains why I cannot spell) and enjoy being around the British. Our goal in cruising is to try as many different cruises as possible.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 6:23 pm

Adirondack Pete wrote:
retired, but only after spending 7 months in Kuwait/Iraq as Sand Sailor. I had a late start on cruising because of the demand on my time, mostly caused by the Navy Reserves and its training requirements.

We started like many on a 4 day Caribbean on RCI back in 07. Since then we have managed many often trying to escape this frozen mountainous forest we live in.
We like Cunard as I was an Elizabethian Literature major (which explains why I cannot spell) and enjoy being around the British. Our goal in cruising is to try as many different cruises as possible.

I love to hear when someone who was in the USN will still consider cruising as a vacation. My dad was in the USN (late 50's early 60's) and refused to even consider cruising. I keep tell him that if being in the USN was the same as cruising, we'd all sign up to join the Navy!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 7:55 pm

Ivanova wrote:
Adirondack Pete wrote:

I love to hear when someone who was in the USN will still consider cruising as a vacation. My dad was in the USN (late 50's early 60's) and refused to even consider cruising. I keep tell him that if being in the USN was the same as cruising, we'd all sign up to join the Navy!!! Wink

It makes sense for sailors, when you think about it.... take the best thing about the Navy, which is being at sea, then take away having to work at all, add much improved food, better berthing, and recreational amenities.... how could you go wrong?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 8:06 pm

ginny,

you are absolutely right - but my dad just won't hear of it - go figure - I keep telling him cruise food would dance circles around Navy food, and the beds are a LOT more comfortable!! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 8:08 pm

Susan, why don't you drag him on QM2 with us for the 4th? It's a short cruise and he can test the waters - so to speak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 8:10 pm

unfortunately his health (as well as my mom's) has pretty much stopped them from traveling any more ... at this point they can't even handle a short plane ride from Spokane WA to Seattle WA in order to catch an Alaska cruise (that's the only one he would've done, because my mom wanted to go to Alaska so badly).
Back to top Go down
mytee4ever
Charter Member
Charter Member

Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 6:30 pm

Nick Needs To Know wrote:
Towanda, you're an Island girl? What part of the Island?

Yes Nick, born & raised. Both Forest & I are from Wyandanch. Left there in 1988 & moved to PA. Have been here almost as long as we lived on Long Island...guess that makes us more Pennsylvanians than New Yorkers (all of our adult lives have been here), but it will always be home. Know what I mean?

Towanda
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 22, 2009 8:16 pm

susan - my friends carol & gene who are on vacation which is why she hasn't been on in a long time - he was in the navy for 20 years on an airship as a meteorologist and he loves to cruise. his only requirement is that he has to have at least a window. he says 20 years in a hammock with no windows was enough.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio   Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Getting to Know Your Fellow Cruise Freeks! Post your bio
Page 3 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next