Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

How to become a Travel Agent?

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

How to become a Travel Agent? Empty
PostSubject: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:11 pm

So I've been thinking about this for a while now. I've always been interested in cruises and travel in general. Becoming a travel agent has always been an interest of mine. Even when I was still firefighting. Now that I am in need of a new career I am looking to persue my career as a TA. So my questions to the TA's are:

Who and how do I get my certification? I've googled it and got oooh about a million different certifications and classes. So where do I start? What can I expect from the classes? How can I become a home based independent agent? Should I become a home based agent or work for someone else? I know I will not get rich being a TA and that's ok. I was a firefighter...I am use to being broke. Soon I am going to need something to suppliment my income. I'm not sure if being a TA will be my primary or secondary job. I suppose it will depend on how good or bad I am at it. lol Thank you in advance for sharing all your wisdom with me! Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2009 4:36 pm

hey ron - i did the same thing - googled till my head fell off. i was thinking that i would love to do this. i book for all my friends. when we go on cruises i do everything so i figured with work in the construction field about dead stopped i would have time to learn. a ta named bob d emailed me that he was going to have some kind of class and then i never heard from him again. if you sign up for some of those things you found online you get spammed from a million get rich quick schemes. i can't figure out how you learn what you need to and the clia thing. if anybody knows how you start out, could you let us know???
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:13 pm

Hello all!

The Travel Institute has some GREAT courses ... check your local community colleges to see if they offer any travel classes ... but be wary, you'll eventually run across some "become a TA instantly" offers that are more about recruiting than about sellling travel (or teaching you how to sell travel).

Feel free to give me a call if you want to talk more indepth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 1:17 pm

Ivanova wrote:
Hello all!

The Travel Institute has some GREAT courses ... check your local community colleges to see if they offer any travel classes ... but be wary, you'll eventually run across some "become a TA instantly" offers that are more about recruiting than about sellling travel (or teaching you how to sell travel).

I didn't know you were a TA? Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:02 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
Ivanova wrote:
Hello all!

Uh huh.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:07 pm

Ivanova wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:
Ivanova wrote:
Hello all!

Uh huh.....

awwwww don't be that way..... If I didn't pick on you who would? Other than Nick, and Pete I mean. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 2:54 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
Ivanova wrote:
Ronrocks wrote:
Ivanova wrote:
Hello all!

Uh huh.....

awwwww don't be that way..... If I didn't pick on you who would? Other than Nick, and Pete I mean. Wink
you, nick, pete, my husband, and even my daughter chimes in occasionally Wink
Back to top Go down
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:15 pm

Add me to that list that picks on you.........
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:32 pm

Ronrocks wrote:
So I've been thinking about this for a while now. I've always been interested in cruises and travel in general. Becoming a travel agent has always been an interest of mine. Even when I was still firefighting. Now that I am in need of a new career I am looking to persue my career as a TA. So my questions to the TA's are:

Who and how do I get my certification? I've googled it and got oooh about a million different certifications and classes. So where do I start? What can I expect from the classes? How can I become a home based independent agent? Should I become a home based agent or work for someone else? I know I will not get rich being a TA and that's ok. I was a firefighter...I am use to being broke. Soon I am going to need something to suppliment my income. I'm not sure if being a TA will be my primary or secondary job. I suppose it will depend on how good or bad I am at it. lol Thank you in advance for sharing all your wisdom with me! Very Happy

ut oh we're all in trouble now!!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:37 pm

Susan is a TA? I thought she was a professional traveler....
Who knew????

How to become a Travel Agent? CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:44 pm

and the list keeps getting bigger...and bigger... feeling the love yet??
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 3:52 pm

I'll get even - Greta will be the first to get it, in February Wink and if Ron has the nerve to show up he'll get his then too. Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:05 pm

Ivanova wrote:
I'll get even - Greta will be the first to get it, in February Wink and if Ron has the nerve to show up he'll get his then too. Bwahahahahahahaha!!!!

nerve...please...I will be there!!! And remember...I don't get mad..I get even. What room are you in again? LittleDevil
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:09 pm

Oh I'll be sharing a room with Greta ... until she goes missing. Wink Oh until she wises up and sides with me. :p
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:13 pm

Ivanova wrote:
Oh I'll be sharing a room with Greta ... until she goes missing. Wink Oh until she wises up and sides with me. :p

Well if she is smart she will side with me. Of course if she sides with you, then it is more convenient that you are both in the same room. HolySheep
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 4:18 pm

Not to mention I will have Nick on my side... at least if he knows what's good for him. BluesBrothers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Ron, there is always a bedroom waiting for you in Staten Island, and, yes, I mean in OUR house Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 5:58 pm

Susan tell him everything. Can you imagine Ron being in charge of someone's vacation, I think he would be great at it!!

I would give him money to plan my vacation any day!!

(I would stick up for you Susan,but Ron is still a shmuck What a Face )

Last edited by crusinmama06 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 6:45 pm

[quote="crusinmama06"]Susan tell him everything. Can you imagine Ron being in charge of someone's vacation, I think he would be great at it!!

I would give him money to plan my vacation any day!!

(I would stick up for you Susan,but I'm a shmuck What a Face )
quote]
Michelle you are oh-so right!! You are a shmuck Wink
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:30 pm

Nick Needs To Know wrote:
Ron, there is always a bedroom waiting for you in Staten Island, and, yes, I mean in OUR house Razz

It has a great view of the city too Ron....

How to become a Travel Agent? MS001-pink300

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:38 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Nick Needs To Know wrote:

It has a great view of the city too Ron....

How to become a Travel Agent? MS001-pink300

looks more like an out-house!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 7:39 pm

Ron's guest house...

Last edited by NDJollyMon on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:09 pm

Ron...you are AWSOME!!! cheers

Oh yeah, like THAT is something I would say.

I am telling Tina. Razz

Last edited by crusinmama06 on Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:47 pm

Ron,

If you are going to be at the NY times travel show with all of us agents, why not pick our brains then. I'd be happy to tell you all about how I got started, but it is much to long for me to type up while I'm reorganizing the forum.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
Greta
Travel Agent
Travel Agent

Number of posts : 239
Registration date : 2008-06-19

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2009 8:52 pm

Okay I leave for a few hours and now it looks like I'm the one getting picked on. Laughing Susan and I always stir up some kind of trouble when we are together. Usually it is good. At least noone can say we are boring!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.purpleparrottravel.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to become a Travel Agent?   How to become a Travel Agent? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to become a Travel Agent?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Travel Agent Topics :: Ask A Travel Agent-
Jump to: