Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 1:59 am

I would love a transatlantic crossing on the QM2 September/October 2011.
queen
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:00 am

is there a costa rica one
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:41 am

DARLENE
COSTA RICA ON WINDSTAR!
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

Number of posts : 102
Registration date : 2008-12-03

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 8:46 am

I would like Hawaii, but South America was a wonderful cruise, even with the Ship tipping over 18 degrees. I would love to go back.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 11:29 am

lolomeme wrote:
I would like Hawaii, but South America was a wonderful cruise, even with the Ship tipping over 18 degrees. I would love to go back.

What?!?! affraid How the heck did that happen?
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 1:23 pm

Hi Nick,

It was the scariest experience of our lives! My husband & I were in our cabin, having showered, getting ready for dinner. All of a sudden the nightstands and phone went flying in the air, and tumbled toward the door. I thought we had been hit by a torpedo or something. I slid off the bed into a table, but other than a bad bruise we weren't hurt. When you looked out the window, all you could see was sky. My husband yelled, quick get clothes on, for we may have to get to the lifeboats. However, the furniture was in the way of opening the door. Within about 30 to 40 seconds, the ship righted itself, and we could move the furniture out of the way of the door. All they ever told us, was that whoever was in charge on deck, went from auto to manual, and set the coordinates wrong, and we took an almost U turn at full speed. We were in very calm waters. Lots of people were hurt, and there was damage all over the ship. It was near the end of a 17 day cruise around South America. Glad it didn't happen in the beginning of the cruise, or I would have gotten off at the next port. My husband forced me to get on another cruise shortly after it happened, for I said I would never cruise again. Glad he did, for I love cruising, just will never go Holland America again!

Lois
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:06 pm

lolomeme wrote:
Hi Nick,

It was the scariest experience of our lives! My husband & I were in our cabin, having showered, getting ready for dinner. All of a sudden the nightstands and phone went flying in the air, and tumbled toward the door. I thought we had been hit by a torpedo or something. I slid off the bed into a table, but other than a bad bruise we weren't hurt. When you looked out the window, all you could see was sky. My husband yelled, quick get clothes on, for we may have to get to the lifeboats. However, the furniture was in the way of opening the door. Within about 30 to 40 seconds, the ship righted itself, and we could move the furniture out of the way of the door. All they ever told us, was that whoever was in charge on deck, went from auto to manual, and set the coordinates wrong, and we took an almost U turn at full speed. We were in very calm waters. Lots of people were hurt, and there was damage all over the ship. It was near the end of a 17 day cruise around South America. Glad it didn't happen in the beginning of the cruise, or I would have gotten off at the next port. My husband forced me to get on another cruise shortly after it happened, for I said I would never cruise again. Glad he did, for I love cruising, just will never go Holland America again!

Lois

HolySheep What an experience! I'm just glad to know neither of you were seriously hurt. I remember something similar happening not too long ago on Princess, I believe it was Crown Princess. And, you're husband was smart to get your right back on a ship! Otherwise, you wouldn't be here on the boards with us now!!
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi Nick,

Yes, we were lucky that time, but there were quite a few people that weren't so lucky. They had six or seven ambulances waiting at the pier in Buenos Aires to take the injured to hospitals. Some had to be flown home. Holland America really hushed up the incident. When we got home, I went on the internet and found the Ryndam did the same thing in Alaska a year or two earlier. Our experience was in March 2003.

I don't know if it is still a website, but I googled cruise ship disasters, and that is how I found the earlier happening.

Lois
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:32 pm

I've heard of a few episodes similar to that in the past few years....
Usually a crew error of some sort.

Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 2:39 pm

Hi Nick,

It is fine when you are reading about them, but not much fun when it is happening to you! I guess the best thing that happened was most of the glassware was broken and they had to replace lots in Buenos Aires, and the only glasses they could get were much larger. You didn't have to go back 3 times at lunch for more ice tea!! LOL

Lois
Back to top Go down
pmfan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 68
Registration date : 2008-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 3:10 pm

A South Pacific Cruise.....Oh please, please, IMHO a South Pacific would be fantastic! HappyHappyJoyJoy
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 4:28 pm

lolomeme wrote:
Hi Nick,

It is fine when you are reading about them, but not much fun when it is happening to you! I guess the best thing that happened was most of the glassware was broken and they had to replace lots in Buenos Aires, and the only glasses they could get were much larger. You didn't have to go back 3 times at lunch for more ice tea!! LOL

Lois

What...no lawsuits? No reprimands? No firings? No free cruises for life? confused

Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
lolomeme
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
lolomeme

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Nick,

Holland America was so generous (not) that they offered guests free drinks for three hours on the following night. I though that was great, since I don't drink!!!! My husband's glasses got broken when they flew off the dresser, and Holland America asked him how old they were, and since they were a year old, they depreciated the cost of having them replaced! I think the worst part was they didn't take a head count of guests for over two hours after the incident. Many people could have gone overboard if they had been on deck. The entire happening was a sham. I imagine the people that got hurt probably got more than that, but I'll never know. It was my husbands Birthday that night, so we shall never forget it!

Lois
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:48 am

Aloha - how about a combination of some of the destinations I have seen above - Hawaii, Tahiti and on to New Zealand? I know Celebrity has been doing that route as a repositioning - Kiwi bound in the fall and Aloha bound in the springs - but 2011 schedules aren't out yet - and it could be done on another line too.

Yes the flight would be long one direction of it - but it could be a great itinerary and knock a couple of those off the 'bucket list" for some of us.

Any cruise will be fine, of course, but as someone else said - the Caribbean is so close and easy - I would like to aim for something far away and exotic!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 3:06 am

AlohaTad wrote:
Aloha - how about a combination of some of the destinations I have seen above - Hawaii, Tahiti and on to New Zealand? I know Celebrity has been doing that route as a repositioning - Kiwi bound in the fall and Aloha bound in the springs - but 2011 schedules aren't out yet - and it could be done on another line too.

Yes the flight would be long one direction of it - but it could be a great itinerary and knock a couple of those off the 'bucket list" for some of us.

Any cruise will be fine, of course, but as someone else said - the Caribbean is so close and easy - I would like to aim for something far away and exotic!

I saw that one too! It just didn't hit Australia! Laughing

Back to top Go down
cmgm1126
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 8:53 am

Celebrity is such a great line. Tahiti, Europe, anywhere is good for me.
Back to top Go down
lordoftime
First Mate
First Mate
lordoftime

Number of posts : 567
Registration date : 2008-04-11

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:05 pm

How about the Eastern Med in about the Fall of 2011 !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:24 pm

yeah fall of 2011 sounds great.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:26 pm

i make myself laugh. i'm voting for things i would never do anyway unless i ever get over my fear of long flights or the mediteranean cruise leaves from bayonne! and then i wouldn't have enough vacation time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 2:32 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
i make myself laugh. i'm voting for things i would never do anyway unless i ever get over my fear of long flights or the mediteranean cruise leaves from bayonne! and then i wouldn't have enough vacation time.

Pat you should give some thought to joining us in 2010 on Cunard, we're doing a double transit. What that means is that we leave from NYC travel to England via QM2 - then, we continue on to the Mediterranean - back to England and then finally back to NYC. It should be 20 - 25 days if you're interested. Date: TBA
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 5:32 pm

Hi everyone,
If Celebrity is going back to Australia that would be my first choice. They cancelled all of their fall 2009 and 2010 sailings there due to the inability to fill the ships at their original prices. If you can go now until the last sailing in April 2009, they have dropped the prices significantly to fill the ship. As this is a very expensive trip , those people sailing during Thanksgiving and/or Christmas 2011 may not have the time to take two sailings so close together. RCL, Princess, and Holland America are the mainstream lines going to Australia/New Zealand in 2010. It is an absolutely wonderful cruise, and one that you need to allow three weeks time off from work.

My second choice would be a shorter Cunard cruise out of Southhampton in the summer.
My third choice would be to the Galapagos.

All cruises are great!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here   Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Place ideas/suggestions for our 2nd Contest of 2009 Here
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: General Cruise Topics :: I Just Have To Say...-
Jump to: