Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....

Go down 
+5
bjjost
atbcat
HelenB
NDJollyMon
Admin
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Empty
PostSubject: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:38 pm

Before we start polls, let's generate some ideas for Family Friendly entertainment in NYC. What have you always wanted to do/see in New York? If you have been there, what do you think the group will enjoy?

I'll start tossing some ideas....

Restaurant - Ellen's Stardust Diner - singing waitstaff, 50's diner, family friendly atmosphere and menu. Everyone will be singing along by the time we leave...
http://www.ellensstardustdiner.com

Broadway Shows...

Mary Poppins - recomended for ages 6 and up - everyone must have ticket regardless of age

Shrek the Musical - children under age of 4 are not permitted into the theatre

The Little Mermaid - recomended for ages 6 and up - everyone must have ticket regardless of age

The Lion King - recomended for ages 6 and up - everyone must have ticket regardless of age

Sightseeing

Statue of Liberty - Ferry out to Liberty Island, can continue on to Ellis Island if you wish

FAO Schwartz - Toy Store - will be packed with velvet ropes wrapped around the building to stand in line to get in (yep, I've done it). Line does move quickly but it is packed.

Toys R Us Times Square - Famous Ferris Wheel inside

Rockefeller Center and Top of the Rock - NOT to be missed. The views from up top are phenomenal. The Christmas tree and ice skating are here.

Central Park and Central Park Zoo

American Museum of Natural History - Anyone seen the movie Night at the Museum?
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 pm

Great list Michele, and, everyone is free to add suggestions and then you can put it to a poll of what the majority would like to do.

Other fun restaurants that might be enjoyed by kids are:

Serendipity 3
http://www.serendipity3.com/food.htm

Jekyll and Hyde (Could be scary for smaller children)
http://www.jekyllandhydeclub.com/splash_eerie.html
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:44 pm

Thanks for starting this thread. I have never been to New york so this is all new to me. Any idea if the shows that recommend age 6 and up will allow younger ones...mine will be 3 and 5 at the time....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:48 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Thanks for starting this thread. I have never been to New york so this is all new to me. Any idea if the shows that recommend age 6 and up will allow younger ones...mine will be 3 and 5 at the time....

Penny unfortunately many of the theaters will not let children younger than 4 in for the shows. Simply because of the attention span at that age, so, that could prove to be a challenge.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:50 pm

Admin wrote:
mnmomof4 wrote:

Penny unfortunately many of the theaters will not let children younger than 4 in for the shows. Simply because of the attention span at that age, so, that could prove to be a challenge.

That's unfortunate...oh well...one of us might have to stay back at the room with them
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:52 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:
Admin wrote:
mnmomof4 wrote:

That's unfortunate...oh well...one of us might have to stay back at the room with them

I'll do some calling around to the theaters when we get closer to the time we can order tickets. We went to Mary Poppins last Spring and, I know there were children under 4 in the theater - including my niece. So, I'll do some checking around. Don't condemn yourself to the room just yet Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 pm

I've got to see....

TIMES SQUARE!
Rock Center
GROUND ZERO
FDNY
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:53 pm

Penny - the Disney Productions that say "recomended for 6 and up" do not say "children under 4 will not be admitted". All it says is recomended and everyone needs a ticket.

The only show on our list that says no one under 4 admitted was Shrek. For the Disney productions, they will be admitted, but it is not recomended for their attention span.

Does that make sense? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Admin wrote:
I'll do some calling around to the theaters when we get closer to the time we can order tickets. We went to Mary Poppins last Spring and, I know there were children under 4 in the theater - including my niece. So, I'll do some checking around. Don't condemn yourself to the room just yet Very Happy

The Disney Productions allow Under 4's. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:54 pm

Oh, yea...I think we're toting our grandaughter on this cruise!
I might have to go to kiddie shows too! affraid

She's 3 next month...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:55 pm

Makes sense Michele. I have taken the little ones to shows in Branson which they behaved for.

Tina..I was planning on leaving Dh with the younger kids...if all else fails and I would take the teens to a show
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:

She's 3 next month...

Pete, you're a grandfather?!? Geez, you must have been married at 18!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:56 pm

Hmm...worse case...Pete stays at the hotel with all the kids under 5 !! lol!
Back to top Go down

NDJollyMon wrote:

She's 3 next month...

I am going to leave the option up to my family. My parents would prefer to go with Kathy's "adult" group. My inlaws would probably prefer to go with this group. So if there is something you don't want to do, then just send them with us. We'll take good care of them. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:57 pm

mnmomof4 wrote:

Much better choice than having Nick babysit!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:57 pm

Admin wrote:
mnmomof4 wrote:

stickingtongueout
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:58 pm

Admin wrote:

I think you mean, have our kids babysit Nick. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 pm

crusinmama06 wrote:
Admin wrote:

I think you mean, have our kids babysit Nick. Laughing

True, oh so true!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:59 pm

Michele.... stickingtongueout
Back to top Go down
HelenB
Resident Expert Family Cruising
Resident Expert Family Cruising
HelenB

Number of posts : 286
Registration date : 2008-04-18

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 3:56 pm

We took the kids to New York on a Princess cruise last year. They liked the Statue of Liberty, but were really bored with Ellis Island. The enjoyed the simulator ride at the Empire State Building, and parts of Madame Tussaud's, as well as the Natural Histroy Museum. We were there in summer, so there were some fun kid things going on in Central Park as well.

Of course, they loved the TRU and FAO Schwartz.They were also interested in the WTC site and it sparked some interesting dicscussions.

The unexpected hits were the Firefighter's Museum (they have a great presentation demonstrating fire safety, and a big engine for kids to crawl around in, plus actual firefighter uniform pieces to dress up in) and the Police Museum (they got to play with sirens, be locked up in Jail, etc.).

We also went on the the Beast speedboat ride. The kids absolutely adored this. It is probably too cold to do it in December, though!

Another unexpected hit was the Mars 2112 restaurant.

http://www.mars2112.com/

It's super cheesy and overpriced, but the kids had a blast. They keep asking to go back. Um, sorry, flying across the country isn't in the cards right now... Wink
Back to top Go down
http://www.mommycruises.com
atbcat
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
atbcat

Number of posts : 193
Registration date : 2008-07-03

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 4:41 pm

I like that you did this page, Michelle. Good place to get us all in one spot.

Is the Statue of Liberty too cold this time of year? I'd love to see it (I never have, except from a distance), but I imagine it would be cold on the ferry ride...
Back to top Go down
http://www.allthebestcruisesandtours.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 6:30 pm

Nick....
Grandfather? Me?...yes. I did start very young. How about....17! Embarassed
And you think I'm immature now! Laughing

I fell in love with my high school sweetheart when I was a young boy-man. Long story short...we were married right out of high school, and had a baby shortly thereafter. We just celebrated our 26th wedding anniversary...

At least my son waited until he was 20! Laughing

...and Penny...I don't want to sit at the kids table! (again!) cheers
Back to top Go down
bjjost
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
bjjost

Number of posts : 156
Registration date : 2008-12-01

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 7:47 pm

From what I understand... Nick is one of the one's who needs a baby sitter!!

Looks like we have some pretty young grandparents going on this cruise! I speak from experience... I'm a "young" grandma!! I have 25 grandkids and 6 great grandkids!!
Back to top Go down
Cruising Rays
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruising Rays

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:03 pm

Thanx Michele for the great kid ideas and this thread. The majority of our family we are bringing have never cruised before (only our 2 oldest nieces whom we took on a 7 night last April). We want them and rest of the group to have the time of their life and fall in love with cruising as Mike and I have. The Christmas 2010 will be our 9th cruise.

Starting it out with an awesome NYC experience will just add to the awesome cruise and make for the best vacation ever.

Again thanx for all your work for the kids ( little and "big")!!!!

Kim and Mike Smile
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 8:08 pm

atbcat wrote:
I like that you did this page, Michelle. Good place to get us all in one spot.

Is the Statue of Liberty too cold this time of year? I'd love to see it (I never have, except from a distance), but I imagine it would be cold on the ferry ride...

Marilyn it will be VERY cold :coldout: I'd recommend Statue of Liberty during one of our 4th of July sailings from NYC, not in the middle of winter!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....   Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here.... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Family Friendly New York Christmas Cruisers Here....
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next