Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Empty
PostSubject: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 11:22 am

Cuisine: Italian
Nick's Rating (3.5 out of 5): :eat: :eat: :eat: and a half

Review:
This is the second of my reviews of restaurants under consideration for the 2010 Holiday pre-cruise group. My first review can be read here: https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com/royal-caribbean-f12/tony-di-napoli-s-nick-s-review-for-christmas-2010-t1951.htm

I will once again preface my review by telling you that being of Italian-American decent, going out for
Italian food always comes with very high standards to match. Nothing is
ever going to compare to my Mom or Grandmother's homemade food.

New York is always busy but, the holidays brings that to new heights and, Carmine's is located in a section of the city I try to avoid at all costs - Times Square. Now, I don't mean to frighten anyone with that statement, Times Square is safe (especially since the Disneyfication of the area) but, it is over run with tourists, and, as a local, it is beyond annoying to have people not knowing where they are going, making dead stops for no reason whatsoever and gawking at everything in sight. In a word: aggravation!

We arrived at Carmine's at 7:30pm and with reservations in place, we were seated immediately. We were greeted by our waiter and, I think my wife thought my head was going to pop of my shoulders when we were asked "And were are you folks from", our waiter, who I will now refer to as Huckleberry, looked afraid when I replied "Staten Island and you" with his answer being "Iowa". I didn't mean to scare him but, after going through a sea of tourists that was the last thing I wanted to be asked. As we waited for friends to join us, Huckleberry took our order for wine - the wine list, like Tony Di Napoli's is good but, certainly not impressive.

The first positives of the evening, we didn't have to scream at each other like we did at Tony Di Napoli's, it is a much saner volume and pace. Not long after our friends joined us and, Huckleberry had brought the wine. Finally, I was starting to unwind from the stress of the area.

Carmine's, like Tony Di Napoli's, menu is huge and also similar is the fact they serve everything family style - meaning one order easily feeds 2 to 3 people. Huckleberry returned to tell us the specials of the day and, it just got funnier and funnier when I had to correct the pronunciation of half the items he was describing. Anyone who knows me, knows I'm a huge tease and, I wasn't going to let this go and decided to have some fun with it. We were surrounded by tourists and, I figured they might like the floor show Wink So, for the rest of the evening, I put on the heaviest New York accent I can muster up. And, yes, my shin and ankle are now black and blue from my wife kicking me under the table so much last night Laughing

So with that we ordered Garlic Bread, Eggplant Parmigiana, and Zuppa Mussels (mussels served with garlic, herbs, olive oil, clam juice, white wine and tomatoes) as appetizers. The garlic bread was a huge disappointment, it tasted like something you'd get in a grocery store. However both the Eggplant Parmigiana and Zuppa Mussels were very good! :eat: You better like garlic when you dine at Carmines!

For our main courses we ordered: Chicken Saltimbocca (which is chicken scallopini covered with sage butter and prosciutto (that's Italian ham) that was served on a bed of sauteed spinach with brown sauce, white wine and melted fresh mozzarella), Lasagna, and Broiled Porterhouse Pizzaiola (which is a Porterhouse steak served with peppers, onions and spicy marinara sauce). Huckleberry came back to inform us that the kitchen was a bit backed up and, a round of drinks was sent over by the manager for the inconvenience of having to wait. (He must have overheard us remarking that they must had to go out to buy the chicken for the Chicken Saltimbocca). After a 45 minute wait, finally our main course arrived. Worth the wait? YES! The only slight let down was the lasagna, it was only a step or two above a Stouffers frozen dinner - I'm sure to most it would be very good but, to me it was just ok. Huckleberry came by no less than 6 times to check to make sure everything was satisfactory.

Bellies full, I pledged to keep going onward to dessert, after all I was here on a mission and I couldn't give a proper review to my fellow Cruise Freeks without ordering dessert. And, so we did - Carmine's is famous for one dessert in particular... The Titanic. And that's what we ordered - the Titanic is a chocolate torte with 5 jumbo scoops of ice cream, fresh whipped cream, fruit, cookies ,chopped hazel nuts and chocolate sauce. Was it worth the $23 charge :eat: YOU BET! I'd go back just to order this dessert again!

At the end of the evening, I can honestly say I liked Carmine's better than Tony Di Napoli and it is absolutely perfect for a group party. Overall everything was just slightly better and, if we're down to just two choices between the two restaurants it is my recommendation to go with Carmines. However, if Tina wants me to review other restaurants for the group, I'm certainly not going to argue. Oh and don't worry, I left Huckleberry a solid 25% tip and I'm sure I'll stick in his memory for a while Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Da Bronx Bombers Fan
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Da Bronx Bombers Fan

Number of posts : 185
Registration date : 2007-08-26

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 12:00 pm

Huckleberry!! Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Rollin10 LOVED the review Nick, I only wish I was along to have experienced it live!!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:10 pm

Thanks for the review Nick, I can only imagine Leanna's reaction to all of this happening Rolling Eyes lol!

One more, if you don't mind - it's not Italian but, as soon as you read it, I think you'll understand my logic. Please review the Rock Center Cafe for us as well.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:12 pm

Great review Nick. You are kind of scaring this midwest tourist, however... you do realize I am going to be one of the gawking tourists when I get there don't you??? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 1:41 pm

Admin wrote:
Thanks for the review Nick, I can only imagine Leanna's reaction to all of this happening Rolling Eyes lol!

One more, if you don't mind - it's not Italian but, as soon as you read it, I think you'll understand my logic. Please review the Rock Center Cafe for us as well.

Thanks!

You got it boss!

Murphy wrote:
Great review Nick. You are kind of scaring this
midwest tourist, however... you do realize I am going to be one of the
gawking tourists when I get there don't you??? Shocked

Sorry Susan, didn't mean to scare you but, it was wet and cold and, I just didn't have the patience for people to stop every other step yesterday. And don't worry, we'll have you NYC ready before you even get here!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 3:09 pm

Huckleberry! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the review Nick! Sounds good to me. I'll wait to see what you think of the Rock Cafe.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 9:58 am

Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Huckle10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 10:37 am

murphy - i'm from new york and i still gawk when i go there. there are just way too many interesting sights and overwhelming to the senses. you have to take in the whole thing
Back to top Go down
Cruising Rays
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Cruising Rays

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2008-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:33 pm

Thanks Nick for your two solid reviews. We will also be gawkers, so please try to be easy on us.

Kim and Mike
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 3:53 pm

lol! I promise I'll be much more patient with you guys!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square   Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nick's Review of Carmines Time Square
Page 1 of 1