Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Empty
PostSubject: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:19 am

Hello Fellow River Cruisers,

I just wanted to get Roll Call started and leave the link for the website for this sailing: http://www.rivercruise2009.makeswebsites.com/

Looking forward to sailing with all of you, yes, I'm joining you for both the River Cruise followed by the Baltics sailing on Crystal Symphony.

I have a question for all of you - are there any fellow equestrians sailing on the River Cruise? I have my own personal agenda when we get to Vienna and that is to visit The Spanish Riding School. I've already checked the calendar and schedule and unfortunately the horses will not be having a performance when we are there but, they will still have the behind the scenes tour. I'm not sure if this will be one of the shore tours in Vienna offered by the cruise line but, since we have free time there and the tour is only 1 hour long, I do intend on going. If anyone else would like to join me please let me know!

And, if there is anything special any of you would like to do at any the ports, let me know and perhaps we can organize our own sub-tour while we are in that port.

Tina
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:07 pm

Thanks Tina! We're going to Vienna????? Wink I guess I have a lot of research to do! I know we leave from Budapest and end up in Amsterdam, but that's as detailed as I've gotten so far! I don't have a clue about any of our ports... YET! But I sure am going to have fun finding out!

We are very much looking forward to meeting you and thanking you in person!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 9:40 pm

I'm not an equestrian, sorry.

I will, however say...I'm going to Europe! cheers

I guess we should do this...to see who is all onboard!

Cruise Freek Forums River Cruise 2009:

Tina (Admin)
Susan (Murphy)
Pete & Cindy (NDJollyMon)

River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:06 pm

I guess we should do this...to see who is all onboard!

Tina (Admin)
Susan & Ray (Murphy)
Back to top Go down
BrandonH61
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BrandonH61

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:10 pm

I'm on board... WOOHOO!! I would like the equestrian, but the wife would kill me. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
BrandonH61
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
BrandonH61

Number of posts : 34
Registration date : 2008-11-11

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 11:13 pm

Sorry, new roll call

Tina (Admin)
Susan & Ray (Murphy)
Brandon & Brandi (BrandonH61)
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 7:24 pm

There has to be more than just us....right??? Come out, come out whoever you are!

Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 6:52 pm

Sorry, I just came across this board today... YES! I am on the river cruise! We plan to get to Budapest a few days early to see the city. We were in Budapest last year for a Christmas Markets cruise and loved it. The city is amazing. We were there 5 days and still felt as if we didn't see it all. It should be nice to see the city without multiple layers and snow. We are coming in from Los Angeles. From where is everyone else?
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:24 pm

Welcome Voyager! Where do you plan to stay in Budapest?
We are coming in from ND.

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:02 pm

Hi Voyager! Glad you could join us. I was getting a little bored with just Pete and LonaLee and Tina to chat with... JustKidding

I'm live in the greater Chicagoland area, really more towards the Wisconsin border.

Our plans right now include leaving Friday night, so we would be in Budapest one extra night before we board. Would love to do more, but my boss is already having a coronary!
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:41 pm

Murphy: maybe your boss would be nicer about it if she/he went too? Smile Tell him/her about it.

NDJollyMan: Last time we stayed at the Radisson SAS Beke Hotel.
http://www.budapest.radissonsas.com/

It was a nice hotel and the rooms were large. However, it still has the gentle reminders of a post-soviet era hotel with its slightly less than modern furnishings and staff that are almost reluctant to smile. You'll see... it's a kick! The hotel is somewhat central, although not ideal. I am thinking we will stay at Le Meridien this time. Much more centrally located. Book it now and you can get some great rates! You can always cancel. Here is the link:
https://www.starwoodhotels.com/lemeridien/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1861

Their site is currently quoting a 199 € rate. While Hotels.com is quoting a $233 per night rate. I'd go with hotels.com. Much cheaper.

While in Budapest, the central part is where you will want to be so you can explore both sides of the city (Buda and Pest) and climb up to the top of the hill that looks over the city. That is the Castle District.

http://www.fsz.bme.hu/hungary/budapest/bptour/bpcast.htm

Now THAT is something NOT to be missed. Amazing views and great architecture.

But regardless of where you stay, you'll have a great time. It is an amazing city and a holdout of the post-soviet era capitals. It is coming along in its westernazation, but is still not completely done up like the west. A nice contrast to Austria and Germany.

Hope this helps!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 12:41 am

Great information! I may try to squeak in an extra day!
I don't know squat about any of these cities/countries. Will there be any language barriers in Budapest for the typical American in restaurants and shops? Taxis?

Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 12:55 am

All of the front desk hotel staff and most shop keepers in the main tourist areas do speak English. (Not all the housekeeping staff do. If you need something you are best asking at the front desk.) Also, most taxis can understand where you want to go. Just bring a map with you into the cab and point where you want to go. They will always get it. As long as you aren't going somewhere obscure and off the map. But once you stray off the beaten path, which I always try to do in a foreign country, you will come across shops with store owners who don't speak English. But that's where you whip out your trusty pen and paper and draw what you want. Or ask how much? They usually get it... then they just write the answer on the paper. And then you write back how much you are willing to pay and smile. Smile It's great fun to barter!

As for restaurants, that's a toss up. Some have English menus, some don't. It depends on how far away you are from the central part of town. But again, try and walk away and see what you might come across. You will not go hungry. One recommendation I have for you is go to the Gellart Hotel. They have a great restaurant there (they speak English and have menus in Enlish too). But the part to visit before you eat is the natural water baths. These are very old (1918) and feature thremal hot waters from underground. It is co-ed so you have to wear a bathing suit. It is all ages. (5 to 95) We saw an 80 year-old grandmother barely able to walk splashing about. It is supposed to be very theraputic. Note: please don't be body conscious. There is every size, weight, height and age there and no one cares. It's all about the hot water. Not to mention how beautiful it is inside. Here is the link. http://www.gellertbath.com/ This is something I loved and highly recommend.

Remember to at least learn hello, good bye and thank you.They are very happy when you at least can try that part. Everyone was super nice and it was fun.

Enjoy the game of language madness!
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:08 am

Here is a photo of me in Budapest in the cold! This was taken from the top of the hill overlooking the city. That's the Danube below. The very river we'll be cruising down!

River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Dsc01410
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:40 am

Very cool. Great pic...the view looks spectacular!

Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:15 am

Hi Gang, Phillip (VoyagerOne) gave me a great idea last night - ESPECIALLY for those who are going on the QM2 July 1, 2009 cruise. The day QM2 returns to NYC from the 4th of July sailing, it will then re-board passengers and continue on to Southampton, England. I am very pleased to let you know that if you'd like to take advantage of simply staying on the ship - both Phillip and I willl be taking advantage of the situation. The Transatlantic is 6 days in length and get us into Southampton on July 12, 2009. The River Cruise begins on July 19, 2009. Giving you an extra week in Europe if you so choose.

So in otherwords, if you have additional vacation time and would like to sail a Transatlantic to England and then proceed (at your own cost) to Budapest, this is an option open to everyone. I have contacted Lona Lee to let her know and if there is enough interest, it will be a group.

Personally, we will probably stay in England and then simply fly from London to Budapest, although we haven't ruled out taking the Chunnel to Paris and then continuing on from there.

Questions? Email me at TRinaldi13@aol.com

Tina

If you're interested please let me know, I'll send around emails too so everyone is aware of their options.

Last edited by Admin on Tue Dec 30, 2008 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 10:19 am

Oh, how I would LOVE to take advantage of that option, but unfortunately work will not allow it! 5 years from now, I hope to be able to do such things, but not now... glad you can though! How wonderful!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:20 pm

I'm with you Murph...I wish I could. I'll probably 'hang up my helmet' in 5 years...and be much more flexible! Really does sound fun though. I'd love to explore more of Europe!

I'd be like Clark Griswald in National Lampoon's European Vacation! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 30, 2008 1:31 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
I'm with you Murph...I wish I could. I'll probably 'hang up my helmet' in 5 years...and be much more flexible! Really does sound fun though. I'd love to explore more of Europe!

I'd be like Clark Griswald in National Lampoon's European Vacation! Laughing

A classic movie lol!
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 11:30 am

Happy New Year everyone! I tried to fill out the reservation form, but there doesn't seem to be a "submit" button. the form seems to chop off at the bottom of my browser. I tried it a couple times, but no-go.

Tina PLEASE do not try to fix this until next week! Try to enjoy the rest of your vacation!!!!!

I'm very excited about this trip now that it is "this year" and hope that those of you experienced European travelers will give me some tips! I was in Switzerland once on a ski trip, but that's it! And remind me to tell you how well I faired with my French on that trip!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 1:41 pm

The form was fine last night. I can't for the life of me find a link to those booking forms on the main page! Maybe it's not there??? I was going to check...maybe it's your browser or something. IE works really funny at this forum.

Steve...get busy organizing this place!!!! Laughing

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 3:24 pm

I used the link that was in the email from a few days ago... I didn't have any trouble with the Solstice or Zoo Crew forms, but the River cruise doesn't seem to scroll down far enough... I'll try it again later, maybe after I refresh the history file or something...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 6:42 pm

I did get your form NDJollyMan... HEY!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:44 pm

Thanks Lona...
I was only looking to see if maybe...it was just Murph's browser or something.
It worked fine for me...but when I used IE as the browser...it crashed halfway through. I started over using a different browser and it worked fine. Weird.

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 9:54 pm

I am using IE. I used to have a half dozen browsers load in cases like this, but my computer puked a month ago with a dozen virus' or so and when the Geeksquad cleaned it up, they apparently deleted the browsers....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009   River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

River Cruisers Roll Call July 19 - August 2, 2009
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Freek Group Cruises :: 2009 Group Cruises :: Viking Legend River Cruise - 14 Nights - July 19, 2009-
Jump to: