Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt

Go down 
+2
NDJollyMon
flowers
6 posters
AuthorMessage
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Empty
PostSubject: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 4:56 pm

(source seatrader)

30/11/2008
Two small skiffs pursued Oceania Cruises’ Nautica and one fired eight rifle shots during the vessel’s transit of the Gulf of Aden this morning. The ship took evasive action and no one aboard was harmed, with no damage sustained, according to the company.
‘Eight shots were fired and none hit the ship. The closest the pirates ever got to the vessel was 300 meters,’ Oceania president Bob Binder told Seatrade Insider.
Nautica was sailing within the prescribed Maritime Safety Protection Area which is patrolled by international anti-piracy task forces. As the vessel passed several groups of fishing vessels, two small skiffs were sighted by the officer on duty and deemed potentially hostile.
The skiffs, approaching from a range of approximately 1,000 meters, attempted to intercept the vessel’s course. Capt. Jurica Brajcic and his officers began evasive maneuvers, bringing Nautica to flank speed and outrunning the skiffs.
Binder said the incident began at 0528 GMT (9:28 a.m.) and all written reports to the requisite authorities were filed by 0543 GMT. ‘The entire incident was five to seven minutes because in 15 minutes, reports were filed so it was very brief,’ he told Seatrade Insider.
The Maritime Safety Protection Area is eight miles wide and 550 miles long. ‘When the incident occurred, we were offshore by quite a distance,’ Binder said.
Some of the passengers were aware that something was happening, he told Seatrade Insider.
‘All the ship’s officers acted according to their piracy protection training and that worked perfectly. There were no injuries to guests or crew,’ Binder said.
Nautica is proceeding to its next port of call, Salalah, Oman, and is due to arrive on Monday as scheduled.
Last April, pirates off the coast of Somalia seized control of French sail-cruiser Le Ponant, which was deadheading from the Seychelles to the Mediterranean. The 22 crew were ultimately released, unharmed.
In 2005, Seabourn Spirit sustained shots from pirates in two small vessels off the Somali coast. The ship undertook evasive action, and there were no injuries.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSun Nov 30, 2008 5:59 pm

pirates are nuts to go after cruise ships - they are severely outnumbered by crew and passengers - which is why they typically stick to cargo ships that have much (much, much) smaller crews that they can overtake.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 4:20 pm

Just hard to believe that this kind of "Pirate Take-Over" still goes on in this day and age. Time to get Captain Hook back on the ships and make the captured Pirates WALK THE PLANK!! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 5:16 pm

i thing a good group cruise would be one to the sea of aden with a bunch of mercenaries and you lure the pirates in and then when they come all the passengers jump up with their guns and fire on them.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 5:56 pm

oesnjstar wrote:
i thing a good group cruise would be one to the sea of aden with a bunch of mercenaries and you lure the pirates in and then when they come all the passengers jump up with their guns and fire on them.

lol ThumpsUp Jedi
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 5:58 pm

sign me up for that cruise.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 5:59 pm

in fact, i'd like to be the TA on that one. plenty of o.b.c. and amenities.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 8:08 pm

If they know that the pirates are bad right there...why don't they cruise away from that area? WTH? I'm not booking ANY cruise that goes anywhere near Somalia.
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSat Dec 27, 2008 9:26 pm

at least not if they don't let me take my ak47 with me
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 1:54 pm

If security keeps taking away my knives during boarding...how am I supposed to fend off pirates????
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeSun Dec 28, 2008 3:25 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
If security keeps taking away my knives during boarding...how am I supposed to fend off pirates????

Just bring a 9 mm piece with ya next time, the heck with throwing knifes. Don't cha know the good guys always win on the pirates movies?
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeThu Jan 01, 2009 10:51 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
If they know that the pirates are bad right there...why don't they cruise away from that area? WTH? I'm not booking ANY cruise that goes anywhere near Somalia.

Cruises that pass through the Suez canal must go through that area. The option is to go all the way around Africa, which is kind of a long trip. So, they don't have much choice.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:11 am

Sure they do....avoid the area with pirates...for passengers sake! I love to cruise...but I'm certainly not booking one that cruises anywhere NEAR that area. Sure...pirates can be anywhere. But we KNOW they are right there!

Need to put a US Battlegroup there...and fix the problem. Where is Godzilla when you need 'em!
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:39 am

NDJollyMon wrote:

he is not kidding, he carries his knives everywhere he goes, and security did take his knives away on one cruise he was pissed that day. he doesn't go anywhere without them.
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:40 am

i think i would freek out if we were being under attack by pirates. hopefully ndjollymon would be around with all his knives hahaha
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 10:50 am

but why do you bring a knife to a gun fight?
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 12:18 pm

Pirate alley is not a small place, it is a stretch of sea that is hundreds of miles long. It is also not just a few bad guys on a couple of boats. I am not saying more shouldn't be done, but it isn't much easier than stopping drug boats from coming to Florida, you can't catch them all.

One ship opted to fly the passengers from a port on one side to a port on the other side while the ship sailed "crew only" through the infested waters.

Also, in the Seabourn attack, the crew used a sonic weapon on the pirates til they could out run them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Triangle wrote:
Pirate alley is not a small place, it is a stretch of sea that is hundreds of miles long. It is also not just a few bad guys on a couple of boats. I am not saying more shouldn't be done, but it isn't much easier than stopping drug boats from coming to Florida, you can't catch them all.

One ship opted to fly the passengers from a port on one side to a port on the other side while the ship sailed "crew only" through the infested waters.

Also, in the Seabourn attack, the crew used a sonic weapon on the pirates til they could out run them.

If I were the cruise line, and in charge of passenger safety...I'd sail my ships elsewhere until the nations around that area got their crap
together! Maybe they'd pull their heads out of their......you know.

oesnjstar wrote:
but why do you bring a knife to a gun fight?
I guess I'm just an old school swashbuckler! Ok...maybe I'm just a nut...

darlene wrote:
basically says...Jolly is Crazy!
thanks for pointing out the fact that I'm a deranged lunatic! I know where you live
Back to top Go down
Triangle
Travel Agent
Travel Agent
Triangle

Number of posts : 129
Registration date : 2008-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:15 pm

Maybe Jolly will volunteer to go patrol the area on his ski-doo.

Quote :
In 2007, sixteen homicide deaths were known to the Uniform Crime Reporting (UCR)
program. Based on a state population estimate of 640,000, the resulting homicide
rate for the state of North Dakota was 2.5 per 100,000 population.

Hmmm, maybe Jolly should stay at home instead and fix the murder problem in ND, first! I know I won't take a cruise there until the killings stop Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.trianglecruises.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeFri Jan 02, 2009 1:28 pm

yea...I think there was 2 murders in our town this year. (I think they were both drug related)
Back to top Go down
cmgm1126
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:24 am

Maybe someone should come to Philadelphia where at least one person seems to get killed per day.
Back to top Go down
thevacationstop
Host
Host
thevacationstop

Number of posts : 444
Registration date : 2008-04-08

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 9:54 am

cmgm1126 wrote:
Maybe someone should come to Philadelphia where at least one person seems to get killed per day.

I thought that was the City of Brotherly Love? Very Happy

My wife is from Philly, so I'm well aware of its problems. However, I think Baltimore is still ahead of you in murders, especially as compared to the population. Last I checked, Baltimore was second only to Detroit in the number of murders per year.
Back to top Go down
http://thevacationstop.com
cmgm1126
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 79
Registration date : 2008-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitimeMon Jan 05, 2009 10:39 am

Yeah there is something incongruous between being called the City of Brotherly Love and the crime/death rate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt   Oceania ship fends off piracy attempt Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1