Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:02 pm

The bus is $2 and transfers are good for two hours. You'll need exchange change or you can buy a metro card in the subway station and that's good on the subway or bus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:04 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:05 pm

Back to top Go down
diaz loves 2 cruise
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
diaz loves 2 cruise

Number of posts : 153
Registration date : 2007-08-17

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:10 pm

flowers wrote:
OK now that I have a place to stay .... lol. How much does it cost to take the bus. Are transfers extra? Can you buy a all day pass?

One more, do you need exact change? Sound I bring lots of change with us to get around on the busses?

I thought we would try the first day to get to the ferry and see what we can see. I would like to walk to the site for 9-11, but my sister isnt much of a walker if its very far. Rochefeller Center looks close and Central Park and Im betting that and seeing the zoo in the park and trying to find the kiosk to buy a ticket for a musical is about enough for us for one day.

The second day try and see a musical, a day time show would be good and walk around to some of the stores, and see FAO Swartz and some of the clothing stores sounds like a full day for us by the time we get out to eat breakfast. Im hoping for some sort of deli with a real breakfast, not just a bakery close by. When I lived in FL they had NY style hashbrowns, so I wanted to try the real thing for breakfast at a real deli. My sister will be on a cane so we arent going to be covering ground like most of you. We just hope to hit the highlights and take some pictures.

I think you might mean Circle Line:
Two locations -

42nd Street @ Cruise Piers
http://www.circleline42.com/

South Street Seaport

http://www.circlelinedowntown.com/

I doubt you want the Staten Island Ferry, you won't see much, it's a commuter ferry service more than anything:
http://www.siferry.com/
Back to top Go down
Qbert
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Qbert

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2008-08-04

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:25 pm

And if anyone is interested in a Metro Card, here's all the information you'll need:

http://www.mta.info/metrocard/
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 10:02 pm

flowers wrote:
Yes, thats the Radisson. We love those sleep number beds and from the map it looks like 5 blocks walking between them, so it would be easy to transfer to the Grand when everyone came in, Iv been blowing up the map to see the distance between them.

I have to get ready to go play duplicate bridge here soon, thanks for your help. I think that looks like a jim dandy place to stay, but then we are pretty easy to please. Im thinking 2 extra days would be all I can spend. I shouldnt be gone too long from home either, my parents depend on me, otherwise I would add more extra days.

thanks for your input.

One more question, what should I plan on for weather. I live in Texas, so Im having trouble deciding if it will be really hot or 70s during the day or when the end of June.
we're also coming in early(2 nights) and thanks for the Radission info...............great price!!
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 11:35 am

PH8, I have been reading reviews and not so sure about those sleep number beds. The hotel still seems to be under renovation and read some reviews of hard beds which makes no sense. We are not that picky, so Im sure we will be ok, but some who stayed there complained about everything from extra charges (internet, $2 US for storage of luggage after check out, and small baths and rooms). Since the size of the rooms is clearly stated and so is the internet charge of $10 a day, this is np for me. And Im glad to hear they have storage of suitcases available even if someone was charged $2!!! lol. For when we are changing hotels that day.

Im still reading the bus stuff again that was reposted and still confused. I think Iv been thru all those links and not getting it. OK. For instance I read that the NYC shopping trip comes with a gray line hop on hop off for 48 hours. Is the gray one only one of the bus lines? I see green, yellow, blue etc. Gray is where the shops are perhaps? Can this be bought separate?

The MTA bus card says $2 per fare or unlimited. Is unlimited per day or do you have to buy for the whole month. I read the MTA stuff and its still not totally clear what Im doing. May not be worth it. Just take a envelope of one dollar bills sounds like a plan. I usually take a envelope of lots of ones, and a few fives and tens for tipping anyway. Just bring more ones.

Lets say I want to get off and on on the same street, since this isnt a transfer is it $2 each time. I took the bus in Hawaii and thats how it is there. You can only use a transfer usually if you are changing to another line. I say usually because sometimes you can ask for the free transfer and get off and then use it to get back on and they let you.

Sorry, for so many questions, but I like to know before I go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 11:40 am

The Gray Line Bus is for tourists - it's not part of the New York Transit System.

To use the city buses - you need change (quarters, dimes and nickles), dollar bills are not accepted and the bus drivers cannot and will not make change. Bus fare is $2 every time you use it.

Metro card might be a good value if you plan on using both the subway and buses a lot. Otherwise, you're probably better off paying as you go.

Does this help?
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:21 pm

Nick Needs To Know wrote:
The Gray Line Bus is for tourists - it's not part of the New York Transit System.

OK can we take the gray line and what does that cost. Im definetely in the class of newbie tourist. Hop on hop off sounds good to me too.

I'll study the trips123 site some more and map out a few places like how to get to the zoo in Central Park.

I DEFINATELY want to find that kiosk as soon as possible to get tickets for musicals, so I want to find it first off maybe. Is it within walking distance if one is a good walker?? (I was going to walk there by myself and get tickets and then go back to the hotel for my sister if I can walk.) I'll have to study that map more and start printing out maps and start trying to grasp directions better. I'm guessing the theater district and Time Square is south?

I'm sorry to be so dense.

PH8, reading another site's reviews on the Radisson. Two gave it a 2 out of 5, one more upset about the lack of adequate shelving in the bathroom to spread out cosmetics. This one gave it a 5 and seems like a great tip, just what I wanted. A mini mart across the street to buy some snacks for late at night that I probably don't want to travel with and a salad bar across the street.

Quote :
The cafe next door has a great breakfast but a little pricey. There is also a Starbucks that opens at 5:30 a.m. right inthe hotel. Across the street there is a great deli with many options- hot salad and cold salad bar, pizza, subs, and mini market. You can do any of the three meals there with great food and moderate price.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Gray Line Bus Tickets:
http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

TKTS Booths are in Times Square
and South Street Seaport, it's going to be hike either way. However, since you have to go to the Times Square area to get your Gray Line Bus tickets, you can do both at once.

To get to Times Square
- I recommend:
Take the Number 6 Subway to Grand Central Station (42nd street) and transfer to the Number 7 Subway to Times Square (also 42nd street)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 12:30 pm

flowers wrote:

I'm guessing the theater district and Time Square is south?

I'm sorry to be so dense.

The theater district and Times Square are EAST of your hotel on Lexington Avenue
Back to top Go down
Cruise Virgin Vinnie
Charter Member
Charter Member
Cruise Virgin Vinnie

Number of posts : 420
Registration date : 2007-08-09

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 1:09 pm

Flowers - since you are a true newbie to NYC, you might want to pick up some guide books and a map. In the meantime, this is a site with tons of information you might find helpful: http://www.nyctourist.com/
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks Vinnie. I saw what Michelle posted she would do in one day in NYC and I thought impossible to do all that!!! wow. I know we will try much less, but we still want to hit some of the main points.

I plan on also printing off lots of stuff from online rather than try and remember everything.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 4:47 pm

Gray Line Bus Tickets:
http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

TKTS Booths are in Times Square
and South Street Seaport, it's going to be hike either way. However, since you have to go to the Times Square area to get your Gray Line Bus tickets, you can do both at once.

To get to Times Square
- I recommend:
Take the Number 6 Subway to Grand Central Station (42nd street) and transfer to the Number 7 Subway to Times Square (also 42nd street)

You are right, looks like the regular bus would be a better deal at $2 a shot unless you are hopping on and off a lot.

So I walk toward Grand Central station and then can walk east to Times Square? Im walking about 3 1/2 miles a day now for exercise, at least, so I can walk pretty far, just trying to figure out where Times Square is. Will tackle the maps again and see if I can blow them up and see it.

thanks. sorry for all the questions. Im guessing everyone else knows their way around.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 4:57 pm

Now you're getting a beat on it! Yes! Walk up to 42nd Street and proceed East to Times Square. It's not far but the blocks are L-O-N-G. See it's not so tough Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:12 pm

I second the use of the Metro Card... we once stayed three nights at the Navy Lodge in Staten Island and the card covered all subways and buses, which was important staying on SI so we could take the bus to Brooklyn and catch the R train. I don't remember if it covered the Ferry but that is free one way IIRC.

If you are not leaving Manhattan at all you might not need the buses much, I have found the subway combined with the Gray Line plus walking pretty much takes care of what we need if we stay in a mid-town hotel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:16 pm

Staten Island Ferry is free for foot traffic. Only autos pay, that went into effect a few years ago, very nice perk Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:18 pm

Staten Island Ferry is free for foot traffic. Only autos pay, that went into effect a few years ago, very nice perk Very Happy

Oh it is free both ways on foot? I didn't know that... very nice perk!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 8:22 pm

Yep - we love it Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 10:24 pm

I bought this book for my NYC last summer(at Barnes and Noble).........it was really helpful........its divided up into different sections of the city with each section having a map and descriptions of the sites/shops bars and restaurants in that area...its small enough to fit into my purse............

PLUS it has transportation and hotel maps......

http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-MapGuide-New-York-Mapguides/dp/0307263894/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1226625680&sr=11-1
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Nov 13, 2008 10:40 pm

PH8 wrote:
I bought this book for my NYC last summer(at Barnes and Noble).........it was really helpful........its divided up into different sections of the city with each section having a map and descriptions of the sites/shops bars and restaurants in that area...its small enough to fit into my purse............

PLUS it has transportation and hotel maps......

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-MapGuide-New-York-Mapguides/dp/0307263894/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1226625680&sr=11-1
http://www.amazon.com/Knopf-MapGuide-New-York-Mapguides/dp/0307263894/ref=sr_11_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1226625680&sr=11-1[/quote[/url]]

That's a good idea about books. I drive by the library all the time and never think about getting a book. I will start there and see if they have that book. That's what I did with Disney, I got a good guide book that explained everything. A few maps that I can see better will do wonders.

Did you book a hotel or are you waiting?
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 12:31 am

Now you're getting a beat on it! Yes! Walk up to 42nd Street and proceed East to Times Square. It's not far but the blocks are L-O-N-G. See it's not so tough Very Happy

I pulled it up on a online map which insists that Times Square is WEST, not east of my hotel. Walk to 42nd or 43rd and then go WEST. Maybe I have the wrong Times Square, like the newspaper office. Going to get books tomorrow.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 10:46 am

LOL I think Nick is directionally changed sometimes - you would go WEST NOT EAST from Lexington Avenue to get to Times Square.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 10:55 am

lol! Yes, we'll have to send Nick back to Primary school to learn North, South, East and West again! Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Nov 14, 2008 11:04 am

Oooopps Embarassed My bad - yes, you do West not East.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Line Specific Boards :: Cunard-
Jump to: