Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
IliveontheLIE
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
IliveontheLIE

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2007-08-30

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 2:04 pm

A word about Ground Zero...

For those of us who lived through that horrible day, it can be very emotional. Some people cry, some people just stand in silence and others shake their head in disbelief. You never know how you will react until you are there for yourself. Just be prepared for it.
Back to top Go down
VJMorrow
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VJMorrow

Number of posts : 155
Registration date : 2008-08-24

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 4:55 pm

Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
You're welcome again!

Discount Broadway Show Tickets

If you want discounted tickets and you don't mind standing on line, one of your best resources is the TKTS Discount Booths. Discounts can be as high as 50% off but most are 25% - 35% off but, still makes it worth your time to stand in line.

There are two booths in Manhattan and one in Brooklyn. I'm assuming you won't be going to Brooklyn, so, I will just list the two in Manhattan:

Times Square Booth
- day of performance sales only. In other words, they only sell tickets for shows for that day or evening. Located "under the red steps" In Father Duffy Square on Broadway and 47th Street.

South Street Seaport Booth
- offers same day and next performance ticket sales. Located At the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street.

Here's a link to the site, I'm sure you'll find it helpful!
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

I don't recommend the online discount ticketing agents. Seats are usually the worst in the house.

We have used these booths as well and gotten some pretty good seats at the last minute.

Make sure you bring cash.... last I knew they don't take plastic.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 6:02 pm

Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
The Hyatt is located at 42nd - look for where the green line meets the purple line - that is Grand Central station Wink

Ah ha, found that, lol. So we will be about two main city blocks from the park, looks like its close enough to walk to for a good walker. Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 7:36 pm

flowers wrote:
Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
The Hyatt is located at 42nd - look for where the green line meets the purple line - that is Grand Central station Wink

Ah ha, found that, lol. So we will be about two main city blocks from the park, looks like its close enough to walk to for a good walker. Smile

From the Hyatt, Central Park is about a 12 block hike. Central Park begins at 59th and the hotel is located at 42nrd. However, if you mean Bryant Park, that's an easy walk and you're right about a 2 block walk from the hotel Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 11:28 am

Thought I'd give this bump up ThreadBump
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Colorado Gal wrote:
Thanks again! One last question, I'm not sure what the Caribbean Princess 2010 group has lined up for as far as Broadway shows but, we're coming in early, even before the pre-cruise activities for that group get underway. Is there a way to get discounted tickets for shows?

I have gotten tix before I leave home to go to NYC from here..

http://www.broadwaybox.com/
Back to top Go down
Pet Vet Assistant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Pet Vet Assistant

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-08-20

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:28 pm

Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
Colorado Gal wrote:
THANKS! Another question, how do I arrange for a horse and carriage ride?

You're welcome. Duh! Stupid me! I forgot to mention one of the all time favorite of visitor and locals alike - a horse and carriage in Central Park!

Horse and Carriage Ride in Central Park

Carriages can be found all year round lined up along Central Park South between 5th and 6th Avenues. This is right by The Plaza Hotel, you can't miss them.

Unlike you see in the movies - horses and carriages are restricted to the park until AFTER 11pm Monday - Saturday and after 8pm on Sundays.

The basic ride is about 20 minutes long and the current cost is $34 and it's customary to tip the driver a few dollars. Most of the drivers are extremely knowledgeable about the city and are often very entertaining.

There is no certain place or stand, it's first come, first serve in most cases. Just ask the driver if he or she is available, and, you'll be off in no time!

Is there a specific route or can you tell the driver where you'd like to go within the park?
Back to top Go down
Colorado Gal
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:31 pm

Another horse related question. I've seen photos and movies of people horse back riding in Central Park. Where or how can I do this?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:35 pm

Pet Vet Assistant wrote:
Curvy Gal Cruises wrote:
Colorado Gal wrote:
THANKS! Another question, how do I arrange for a horse and carriage ride?

You're welcome. Duh! Stupid me! I forgot to mention one of the all time favorite of visitor and locals alike - a horse and carriage in Central Park!

Horse and Carriage Ride in Central Park

Carriages can be found all year round lined up along Central Park South between 5th and 6th Avenues. This is right by The Plaza Hotel, you can't miss them.

Unlike you see in the movies - horses and carriages are restricted to the park until AFTER 11pm Monday - Saturday and after 8pm on Sundays.

The basic ride is about 20 minutes long and the current cost is $34 and it's customary to tip the driver a few dollars. Most of the drivers are extremely knowledgeable about the city and are often very entertaining.

There is no certain place or stand, it's first come, first serve in most cases. Just ask the driver if he or she is available, and, you'll be off in no time!

Is there a specific route or can you tell the driver where you'd like to go within the park?

They stick to a specific route until after 11pm except on Sundays then it's after 8pm

Here's a map - the route is they start and end where it says Grand Army Plaza, turn into the park where it says Central Park South - they proceed to 79th street transerve and back to the Grand Army Plaza area. It's not a long ride but, it's a nice thing to do.
NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Centra10

Last edited by Curvy Gal Cruises on Tue Nov 11, 2008 5:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 5:39 pm

Colorado Gal wrote:
Another horse related question. I've seen photos and movies of people horse back riding in Central Park. Where or how can I do this?

Right now the only company I am aware of is Riverdale Equestrian Center http://www.riverdaleriding.com/

The Claremont Riding Academy closed in 2007.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 7:23 pm

Hi, Im on the July 1st cruise. I was looking for hotel options today if I decided to come in early. Im thinking if I do not stay at the Hyatt Grand, Ill be wasting some amount of time changing from one hotel to the other. Are there less expensive options close by that I could easily change hotels on foot perhaps?

I can get a rate of $270 directly thru the hotel or $269.10 thru Costco, yes a savings of 90 cents, not a typo. For that I'd just book thru the hotel if there are good options, maybe in the $200 or less range?? I figure if the savings arent close to $70 off, then it wouldnt be worth the hassle of changing hotels.

I also took a peep at hotwire, but didnt see anything that grabbed me. $209 for a 4 star hotel in the theater district ($484 with taxes and fees for 2 extra nights)?? is that close? Another 4 star midtown East for $229.

.... just looking at my options.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 7:31 pm

flowers wrote:
Hi, Im on the July 1st cruise. I was looking for hotel options today if I decided to come in early. Im thinking if I do not stay at the Hyatt Grand, Ill be wasting some amount of time changing from one hotel to the other. Are there less expensive options close by that I could easily change hotels on foot perhaps?

I can get a rate of $270 directly thru the hotel or $269.10 thru Costco, yes a savings of 90 cents, not a typo. For that I'd just book thru the hotel if there are good options, maybe in the $200 or less range?? I figure if the savings arent close to $70 off, then it wouldnt be worth the hassle of changing hotels.

I also took a peep at hotwire, but didnt see anything that grabbed me. $209 for a 4 star hotel in the theater district ($484 with taxes and fees for 2 extra nights)?? is that close? Another 4 star midtown East for $229.

Ok I think I got a beat on this... You are coming in early and will be taking advantage of the hotel (Hyatt) for June 30, 2009. And, you're asking about coming in a few days before that and you're looking for lower cost options. Right?
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 7:53 pm

flowers wrote:

The only problem with using services like Hotwire.com or Priceline.com is you have no idea what you're getting until you book and paid - and then you're stuck with their choice, not yours.

What I do is use kayak.com - here's the site: http://www.kayak.com and, this way you can see what all the online agencies are offering, then I contact a travel agent and see if they can assist me with getting the hotel I want at the rate I found on Kayak. Now that's just me, I know other people have used Priceline.com and Hotwire.com very successful, myself included. I don't mind using it for hotels but, I draw the line at air transportation, I want to be in control of that part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Nov 11, 2008 7:56 pm

And, I'll just add - let us know what hotels you have in mind and, we'll let you know whether to go for it or skip it. Personally, I'd keep away from Times Square, it's very touristy but, that's coming from a jaded local. Wink
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 12:12 am

Andy I did look at one of those comparison sites, and it is cheaper to book the Grand Hyatt directly thru Hyatt than to book thru other sites. $270 thru Hyatt is the best rate plus taxes.

I know by the time I could book the hotel, that hotwire could change their offerings. Iv only booked the cruise and put down my deposit and have a cabin assigned on the ship. I dont know about the flight part thru the group or if you can come in early or what my options are, havent discussed them with Nina.

The two 4 star offerings on hotwire for the 2 days before the group meets at the Grand Hyatt look to me like the one in the Time Square area - theater district, matches up to the Westin. Says previously was 4.5 now is 4.0 on better bidding and the amenities match. Thats the one that is a little cheaper than the other that I was possibly looking at for 2 nights earlier. Thats the one that the rate for two nights comes out $484 total.

The other 4 star is more per night and the hotel doesnt look quite as good, its the Shoreham Hotel per better bidding. It looks closer to the Grand Hyatt, same area?

Those are the only two good choices for the 2 nights on hotwire I came up with. Im thinking the Westin would be the better choice from my experiences? Neither hotel name is guaranteed until I pay, then they tell you the name of the hotel.

There is one other possible choice is Central Park, 3 star botique hotel, and no hotel matches up to it on betterbidding that I have found. Curvy would Central park location be better than Times Square?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 am

flowers wrote:
Andy I did look at one of those comparison sites, and it is cheaper to book the Grand Hyatt directly thru Hyatt than to book thru other sites. $270 thru Hyatt is the best rate plus taxes.

I know by the time I could book the hotel, that hotwire could change their offerings. Iv only booked the cruise and put down my deposit and have a cabin assigned on the ship. I dont know about the flight part thru the group or if you can come in early or what my options are, havent discussed them with Nina.

The two 4 star offerings on hotwire for the 2 days before the group meets at the Grand Hyatt look to me like the one in the Time Square area - theater district, matches up to the Westin. Says previously was 4.5 now is 4.0 on better bidding and the amenities match. Thats the one that is a little cheaper than the other that I was possibly looking at for 2 nights earlier. Thats the one that the rate for two nights comes out $484 total.

The other 4 star is more per night and the hotel doesnt look quite as good, its the Shoreham Hotel per better bidding. It looks closer to the Grand Hyatt, same area?

Those are the only two good choices for the 2 nights on hotwire I came up with. Im thinking the Westin would be the better choice from my experiences? Neither hotel name is guaranteed until I pay, then they tell you the name of the hotel.

There is one other possible choice is Central Park, 3 star botique hotel, and no hotel matches up to it on betterbidding that I have found. Curvy would Central park location be better than Times Square?

Let me make sure I understand this - if you just stay at the Hyatt it's $270 per night which comes out to $540 for two nights.

And, you're speculating that you can get the Westin (based on your research) in Times Square for $484 for two nights.

This is a $56 dollar difference total or $28 per night difference. If my math is correct, I'd simply stick with Hyatt - you'll need a cab to switch hotels (that's at least $10 right there and your time is worth something), unless you want to walk through the street of Manhattan dragging luggage. If things are tight, I'd cut back to just one extra day and take the better hotel, in the better location meaning the Hyatt.

The Shoreham - great location. That's all I can say positive about it.

I hope I helped and not confused you more.

Marina
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 10:51 am

No, the hotel I believe is the Westin based on matching stars and amenities on better bidding is $209 a night, taxes and the hotwire fee bring it up to $484 total, its $209 a night vs. $270 a night at the Grand. betterbidding has a pinned hotwire list and you can match up the amenities shown and the stars and usually determine which hotel it is on hotwire. Priceline you bid and don't know. The $484 figure was total, the $540 figure you posted doesnt include taxes, so the difference is actually more. Hotwire you can usually tell almost for sure which hotel it is on the betterbidding site.

I, also, found the Radisson last night where we have stayed elsewhere and loved their sleep number beds and its even cheaper and can be booked direct. I can't imagine not liking the Radisson and it does not look that far from the Grand Hyatt. I'm using the Hyatt as my central point to check other hotels in the area. From what you said that area is a ok area?

I really need to know first if we have any options for coming in early. This cruise includes airfare but I dont know if we are allowed to change the arrival date or how that works. Thats what I need to know first. Has anyone else on this cruise talked to Nina about the flight options? Can you pay a deviation fee or something?

thanks for your help, now I just need to find out my options and if I can come in early start planning. Id like to do that ferry to the statue of liberty for one and the zoo in central park and all that stuff. thanks again everyone. I hope I can find that kiosk you mentioned and buy a last minute daytime ticket for a broadway show. Im not sure Im brave enough to be out at night on the bus/subway system, but we could do a taxi at night if we cant find a broadway show during the day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 10:58 am

Ok my turn to chime in Very Happy If you mean the Raddison on Lexington Avenue, that would be a great choice, you literally have the Number 6 train (subway) right there and from there it's a quick shot to Grand Central to get any other subway in the city. I haven't stayed here so I can't vouch for the hotel but, again, excellent location.

I'm sure Nina and Tina will work with you about air deviation too, but, as you said, there may or may not be a fee, you'll have to check with them for that question.

Also you can't miss the TKTS booth. I'll see if I can get a photo of it for you sometime soon.
Back to top Go down
Andy The Sailor Man
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
Andy The Sailor Man

Number of posts : 245
Registration date : 2007-08-29

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 11:32 am

flowers wrote:
Im not sure Im brave enough to be out at night on the bus/subway system, but we could do a taxi at night if we cant find a broadway show during the day.

For the most part NYC is very safe, and probably much safer than you have it built up in your mind. Just say below the high 90s and above Wall street at night and you'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 11:40 am

Yes, thats the Radisson. We love those sleep number beds and from the map it looks like 5 blocks walking between them, so it would be easy to transfer to the Grand when everyone came in, Iv been blowing up the map to see the distance between them.

I have to get ready to go play duplicate bridge here soon, thanks for your help. I think that looks like a jim dandy place to stay, but then we are pretty easy to please. Im thinking 2 extra days would be all I can spend. I shouldnt be gone too long from home either, my parents depend on me, otherwise I would add more extra days.

thanks for your input.

One more question, what should I plan on for weather. I live in Texas, so Im having trouble deciding if it will be really hot or 70s during the day or when the end of June.
Back to top Go down
TV Guy
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
TV Guy

Number of posts : 98
Registration date : 2008-07-12

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:14 pm

NYC weather is unpredictable as our traffic. It could be scorching hot or it could be cool enough for jackets. On average though, figure it's going to be hot in the very high 80s or low 90s and high humidity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 1:23 pm

And, rain is always a possibility too - especially since we're heading North this cruise so pack clothing accordingly.
Back to top Go down
Colorado Gal
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:03 pm

Well that answers my weather questions. And thank you for the horseback riding information too Curvy Gal.

What Broadway shows are not to be missed?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Colorado Gal wrote:
Well that answers my weather questions. And thank you for the horseback riding information too Curvy Gal.

What Broadway shows are not to be missed?

That's a hard call because it depends on your personal taste. My own recommendations are:

Chicago
Avenue Q
West Side Story (once it opens again)
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Nov 12, 2008 8:57 pm

OK now that I have a place to stay .... lol. How much does it cost to take the bus. Are transfers extra? Can you buy a all day pass?

One more, do you need exact change? Sound I bring lots of change with us to get around on the busses?

I thought we would try the first day to get to the ferry and see what we can see. I would like to walk to the site for 9-11, but my sister isnt much of a walker if its very far. Rochefeller Center looks close and Central Park and Im betting that and seeing the zoo in the park and trying to find the kiosk to buy a ticket for a musical is about enough for us for one day.

The second day try and see a musical, a day time show would be good and walk around to some of the stores, and see FAO Swartz and some of the clothing stores sounds like a full day for us by the time we get out to eat breakfast. Im hoping for some sort of deli with a real breakfast, not just a bakery close by. When I lived in FL they had NY style hashbrowns, so I wanted to try the real thing for breakfast at a real deli. My sister will be on a cane so we arent going to be covering ground like most of you. We just hope to hit the highlights and take some pictures.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Line Specific Boards :: Cunard-
Jump to: