Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Empty
PostSubject: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:09 pm

Yes, it's Saturday evening and I'm bored out of my mind, dateless again... Sigh Sad So, if anyone has any questions about NYC I'll be happy to answer them or at least to the best of my abilities.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:15 pm

Im kinda bored too...............

I sort of know all about NYC,but let me ask you..............where do you live??? Im a former Long Islander........
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:16 pm

Upper West Side here - 72nd and Riverside Dr - very quiet over here. Where on LI?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:25 pm

Started out in SoHempstead(till i was 17).......then moved to Mineola.........

have lived in Rockville Centre and central islip a bit too......

I LOVE the city.........when I was there in June,I stayed near Times Square....8th and 47th..............had such a good time............I could live there........
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 9:58 pm

How far is wall street, walking distance, or would I have to take a bus? Is it worth seeing?

Are there other things worth walking to in the area?

Thanks for making a generic thread, it seemed like everyone was on the Christmas cruise and no one was talking on the July QM2 cruise, so I was crashing the Christmas thread trying to get pointers.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSat Nov 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Wall Street is too far a walk..............you could take a bus or subway.......

I took the subway(to Ground Zero) by myself and was pleasantly surprised how clean,safe ane easy it was.

Im sure Marina can tell you if its worth it or not,but from what I remember(years ago),there is plenty in that area to see...........Statue of Liberty is not far from Wall Street........either is SouthStreet Seaport......
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:26 am

Question:

It'll be our first time in NYC. What do you suggest we ....NOT MISS seeing/doing while there?

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 10:44 am

flowers wrote:
How far is wall street, walking distance, or would I have to take a bus? Is it worth seeing?

Are there other things worth walking to in the area?

Thanks for making a generic thread, it seemed like everyone was on the Christmas cruise and no one was talking on the July QM2 cruise, so I was crashing the Christmas thread trying to get pointers.

What you would do to see Wall Street is simply go to Grand Central Station (right next door to the hotel) and take the Number 4 or Number 5 train (subway) and get off at the Wall Street station. If you look at the map, it's the green line.

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Subway10
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:25 am

Here's a photo of a typical NYC subway station

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here 15341311
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:33 am

Actually, for those coming in and plan to spend more than one day in the city, and, I'm sure Tina and the TAs will all agree that one of the best ways around the city for tourists are the double decker buses.

This is a hop on/hop off bus that goes to more than 50 tourist attractions and landmarks. I'm making arrangements with this company for the October, 2009 shopping trip and also for those coming in for the July 1, 2009 sailing on QM2 who will be in for at least two nights.

If we have enough interest for Christmas, and, you're staying more than one night - I'll see what I can do!

Here's a link to the company so you can see what it's all about:
http://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/

And this is a photo of the buses used

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here 12680210
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 11:47 am

NDJollyMon wrote:
Question:

It'll be our first time in NYC. What do you suggest we ....NOT MISS seeing/doing while there?

First, come in before December 19th - there is no way you're going to see everything in one day. As the owner of a business concierge service, I can tell you the most requested sightseeing places are:

• Empire State Building
  • Rockefeller Center
  • Horse and Carriage Ride in Central Park
  • Shopping at Macy's
  • Tea, Lunch or Dinner at Tavern on the Green
  • South Street Seaport
  • Shopping on 5th Avenue
  • Little Italy
  • The Dakota (that's where John Lennon lived and died)
  • Chinatown
  • The Brooklyn Bridge
  • Ground Zero
If you're coming in for Christmas - be ready for crowds. We have what are known as Grid-lock Alert Days. This is when the City and NJ Transit, Long Island Railroad and Metro North all add extra trains and bus service and people are encouraged to take mass transit instead of driving. It's both overwhelming and exhilarating at the same time with the amount of people and hustle and bustle of the streets. Don't let this intimidate you - I just want to make sure everyone knows what to expect. One hint - if you're walking and trying to get some place in a hurry - avoid 5th Avenue (Madison or Lexington are much better choices) and Broadway, especially the Times Square Area (6th or 8th are better alternatives).
Back to top Go down
Pet Vet Assistant
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Pet Vet Assistant

Number of posts : 115
Registration date : 2007-08-20

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:02 pm

I won't be coming to NYC until 2010 for the Caribbean Princess group during 4th of July. This is going to sound stupid but, how do I get a taxi?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:46 pm

Pet Vet Assistant wrote:
I won't be coming to NYC until 2010 for the Caribbean Princess group during 4th of July. This is going to sound stupid but, how do I get a taxi?

How To Get A Cab

Go to the curb of the street and stick your arm up in the air - unlike you see in the movies, there is no need to yell "taxi". This is the NYC universal sign that you want a cab (taxi) to pick you up. Sometimes even an available cab won't see you and can pass you up. If that's the case, just keep trying until you get a cab to stop. Sometimes it may take a couple attempts before you are able to successfully hail a cab - don't get discouraged, especially during the holidays.

When the middle light is lit, that means that the cab is available. If all the lights are lit, that means that cab is off duty. If none of the lights are lit, that means that the cab is in use by customers.
Back to top Go down
Colorado Gal
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2008-07-22

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:53 pm

I also won't be in NYC until 2010 for the same Cruise Freek group cruise on Caribbean Princess for 4th of July week. How do I get to Little Italy from the Times Square area?
Back to top Go down
Single Dad
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
Single Dad

Number of posts : 46
Registration date : 2007-09-18

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 12:56 pm

I'm sensing a trend here for the Caribbean Princess 4th of July 2010 group. Here's my NYC question, what do you recommend for a single dad with two girls under 13 at the time of visiting for sightseeing?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:01 pm

Colorado Gal wrote:
I also won't be in NYC until 2010 for the same Cruise Freek group cruise on Caribbean Princess for 4th of July week. How do I get to Little Italy from the Times Square area?

Take the N or R subway to Prince Street station. Once you're above ground, go EAST for a couple of blocks to Mulberry (that's one of the main streets in Little Italy).

The other choice is to take the F or V subway to the Broadway/Lafayette station and again walk East to Mulberry and then proceed South for a few blocks.

Here's the subway map again thanks to Nick. The "N" train is the Yellow line and the "F" train is more orange line.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:08 pm

Single Dad wrote:
I'm sensing a trend here for the Caribbean Princess 4th of July 2010 group. Here's my NYC question, what do you recommend for a single dad with two girls under 13 at the time of visiting for sightseeing?

It really depends on their ages. A big hit with girls is usually the American Girl Place http://www.americangirl.com/stores/location_ny.php

FAO Schwarz is a must visit for almost anyone under the age of 13 (adults love it too)
http://www.fao.com/home.jsp

If they are a bit older, the pre-teen through teen set is usually thrilled just to go shopping on Fifth Avenue.

Sights like the Empire State Building are must do's for most visitors.
http://www.esbnyc.com/index2.cfm

You might also want to consider the Circle Line - great tours of the city from the water.
http://www.circleline42.com/

If you need specifics please feel free to PM me.
Back to top Go down
Colorado Gal
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:09 pm

THANKS! Another question, how do I arrange for a horse and carriage ride?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:20 pm

Colorado Gal wrote:
THANKS! Another question, how do I arrange for a horse and carriage ride?

You're welcome. Duh! Stupid me! I forgot to mention one of the all time favorite of visitor and locals alike - a horse and carriage in Central Park!

Horse and Carriage Ride in Central Park

Carriages can be found all year round lined up along Central Park South between 5th and 6th Avenues. This is right by The Plaza Hotel, you can't miss them.

Unlike you see in the movies - horses and carriages are restricted to the park until AFTER 11pm Monday - Saturday and after 8pm on Sundays.

The basic ride is about 20 minutes long and the current cost is $34 and it's customary to tip the driver a few dollars. Most of the drivers are extremely knowledgeable about the city and are often very entertaining.

There is no certain place or stand, it's first come, first serve in most cases. Just ask the driver if he or she is available, and, you'll be off in no time!
Back to top Go down
Colorado Gal
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:27 pm

Thanks again! One last question, I'm not sure what the Caribbean Princess 2010 group has lined up for as far as Broadway shows but, we're coming in early, even before the pre-cruise activities for that group get underway. Is there a way to get discounted tickets for shows?
Back to top Go down
flowers
Ship's Purser
Ship's Purser
flowers

Number of posts : 468
Registration date : 2008-04-23

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:28 pm

[quote="Nick Needs To Know"]
flowers wrote:
What you would do to see Wall Street is simply go to Grand Central Station (right next door to the hotel) and take the Number 4 or Number 5 train (subway) and get off at the Wall Street station. If you look at the map, it's the green line.

I must be blind, but I cant even see Grand Central Station on the map. OK I see Central Park, and I think on another thread it said our hotel was on 45th. So, we are a little south of Central Park?? Im still trying to pick out Grand Central Station on the map Sad sorry, complete newbie here.

Maybe we will stick to things closer to the hotel since Rockefeller and the park and stuff looks like it will be closer and easier to get to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:34 pm

You're welcome again!

Discount Broadway Show Tickets

If you want discounted tickets and you don't mind standing on line, one of your best resources is the TKTS Discount Booths. Discounts can be as high as 50% off but most are 25% - 35% off but, still makes it worth your time to stand in line.

There are two booths in Manhattan and one in Brooklyn. I'm assuming you won't be going to Brooklyn, so, I will just list the two in Manhattan:

Times Square Booth
- day of performance sales only. In other words, they only sell tickets for shows for that day or evening. Located "under the red steps" In Father Duffy Square on Broadway and 47th Street.

South Street Seaport Booth
- offers same day and next performance ticket sales. Located At the corner of Front and John Streets, near the rear of the Resnick/ Prudential Building at 199 Water Street.

Here's a link to the site, I'm sure you'll find it helpful!
http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

I don't recommend the online discount ticketing agents. Seats are usually the worst in the house.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:35 pm

The Hyatt is located at 42nd - look for where the green line meets the purple line - that is Grand Central station Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:40 pm

Well contrary to popular belief, my social life isn't completely dead. I'll be signing off for a while but, I'll be back online later to answer more questions, unless Nick or Tina or someone else from the area can answer your questions while I'm out.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitimeSun Nov 09, 2008 1:57 pm

Single Dad wrote:

I can tell you what we do in NYC for young girls.

If they have never been to the statue of liberty, then that is a cool ferry ride. So we start at the Statue of Liberty ferry ride. We skip going into the statue (security is just too long). You *could* then take the ferry to Ellis Island, but this time, we will be skipping that.

Then we walk to Ground Zero.

Then a taxi to take us up to Times Square/Broadway area.

We go to Toys R Us (have to see that), FAO Swartz, then Central Park.

We go to the zoo at Central Park.

Ellen's Stardust Diner for dinner. The servers sing at your table. It is so much fun for the kids.

Then we go to Rockefeller Plaza. Take the "Top of the Rock" tour. The view is incredible.

That is one full day for us. Some other places for young girls, if they are into it, is the American Girl store. I try to avoid that place like the plague though. Laughing Another option would be to get broadway tickets for a show.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here   NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NYC - Post your questions about the Big Apple here
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Line Specific Boards :: Cunard-
Jump to: