Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

River Cruise 2009

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 5:58 pm

Humm, this link seems awfully long... but I did a search on both Borders.com and BarnesandNoble.com and this is the only Europe River cruise book that came up:
http://www.borders.com/online/store/TitleDetail?type=0&catalogId=10001&simple=1&defaultSearchView=List&keyword=europe+river+cruises&LogData=%5Bsearch%3A+59%2Cparse%3A+63%5D&searchData=%7BproductId%3Anull%2Csku%3Anull%2Ctype%3A0%2Csort%3Anull%2CcurrPage%3A1%2CresultsPerPage%3A25%2CsimpleSearch%3Atrue%2Cnavigation%3A0%2CmoreValue%3Anull%2CcoverView%3Afalse%2Curl%3Arpp%3D25%26view%3D2%26all_search%3Deurope%2Briver%2Bcruises%26type%3D0%26nav%3D0%26simple%3Dtrue%2Cterms%3A%7Ball_search%3Deurope+river+cruises%7D%7D&storeId=13551&sku=9812583971&ddkey=http:SearchResults

I've only made thru about 20 pages, but there are lots of maps and things to do in each city and where to look for castles along the waterway. It appears to cover our entire route...
It's called the Insight Guides Great River Cruises of Europe and the Nile. It's published in 2006, but from what I've read, it seems pretty up to date...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:57 pm

Hi, all (I'm reporting from on board the river boat sailing between Trier, Germany and Amsterdam)
We are spending the night on board ship docked in Cologne all night tonight. We walked into this large city after we arrived and saw their one of 6 Christmas Markets, and the BIG cathedral was right there where the square was that held this market. It is fun hearing the German language being spoken as we walked around. I ran into noone who couldn't speak English. The food samples you get were great and it is a little "nippy" out so we are really enjoying the hot spicey wine drinks that is so plentiful! Some folks stayed in and ate but most walked back to the ship for their dinner.

Last night on board the crew entertained us with Christmas Songs and Santa came to visit and handed out presents to all the guests! Several stayed up late and danced and sang to the electric keyboard player/singer.

The free internet in the room on the TV with keyboard is wonderful. Work at your own time and no waiting for others. I'm surprised how good the reception and high speed is 99% of the time...great.

The food is great on board this Amadeus Waterways boat MD Amadagio. Wine with dinner is complimentary and featured wine usually being the wine grown in the region we were currently in. The three meals a day (no room service) plus morning and afternoon snacks put out. Plenty of drinks all the time. Always a coffee/tea self help bar and lots of cookies always available.

Big challenges for finishing putting a puzzle together... a few passengers will stop in and add to the completion of this AWFUL little many piece puzzle... yuk, I dont like to do that but my husband has patience to stick with it. A big hurray as they finished it and they "raised a few celebration drinks" with each other when done.

The opportunity was given to spend time in the bridge area 'advising' the captain how to pilot the boat... lots of back seat drivers. Captain is very experienced and went through the locks like a pro only barely inches on each side of the boat.

Sorry to go on and on... I will write again. I'm glad you July 09 river boat goers are reading up... if you don't read they definately will educate you here! BYE FOR THE MOMENT.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Sounds like you are having a great time! Keep the info coming!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 12:44 am

Very nice Lona. I looked up your ship...WOW!
I'm brushing up on my German anyway! Sounds like a great time! Thanks for your updates!

River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 pm

Hi, all Another update .. we were still in Cologne this morning and we walked into the main area of shops. This is the largest city on the Rhine River with a million inhabitants. Not so small! I still think what I am in awe off is the age of these cities. There is a university here that was started in 1388... I thought I was old! They're talking Roman empire days here. It is famous for it's perfume (eau de Cologne) and Koelsch beer.. have you heard of that? We are to meet our transfer bus back to the ship in front of the Golden Arches... yes, there are modern things too! McDonalds rule here, too! I didn't think to check if they sold 'kraut and brats'!

Our boat pulled out at noon and arrived at 3pm in our next port.
A rare sunny day today in Dusseldorf, Germany. We arrived about 3 pm and immediately did walking tours followed by free time. This 'small village on the duessel river' has an area that is known as the 'longest bar in Europe' has streets of nothing but 'bars'. This town has two breweries. I'm sad because it will be our last time to see another German Christmas market place. Hot Chocolate and schnaps warmed us up after a brisk walk around the area.

Tonight our dinner was a 'Dutch Dinner' to prepare us for Amsterdam tomorrow. Afterwards there was a trio of two violin players and a guitar player that were VERY good that entertained us on the boat after dinner. Following that our regular piano/keyboard guy was back to keep the momentum going.

I didn't mention that the boat has the complete upper deck open for jogging/walking track. Lots of lawn chairs up top for folks wanting to enjoy the weather. A hot tub as well is up there. Needless to say it has been cold on this voyage and not many people lounging up top. The exercize room with it's weights and treadmills is also available. One can make an appointment for massages as well. One person giving 'serious' massages I'm told.

The cruise director lady keeps us informed over the load speakers when we need to be somewhere so we don't miss our tours etc. This boat has two upper decks with French balcony's and a lower deck with very small windows. I'm very glad I have a sliding glass door that opens. The rooms are the same size but it is special to have the fresh air available... Closet space is satisfactory and bathrooms showers have great special vibrating shower heads. Toiletries and hairdryers are on board. 220 voltage....not 110 like in USA. Need converter on this boat.

Gratuities on this boat are recommended to be 12EURO per person per day for crew and the cruise director recommended to get 3Euro per person per day. On this boat you can use your credit card for the tips. Did I mention that if we use the ships FREE postcards to send to our friends they paid for the stamps... I wish I had had your addresses with me... you would be getting a post card from me saying 'Having fun, wish you were here!'

bye until next time...
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 2:30 am

Very nice. I hope you are leaving some souvenirs over there for us!
Sounds like a great trip...I can't wait! Thanks for the update Lona!

Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 3:57 am

we won't be going on the river cruise either, my cruise buddy won the river cruise so he will be going on 1 more cruise than i will be next year, darn it, unless i win the lottery or santa really does come to my house.
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 10:16 am

Thanks for the live reports Lona Lee, you're certainly helping to bring the experience to life! I think we're all excited about our trip in July!
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 12:36 pm

darlene wrote:
we won't be going on the river cruise either, my cruise buddy won the river cruise so he will be going on 1 more cruise than i will be next year, darn it, unless i win the lottery or santa really does come to my house.

Stand by your mailbox...you may get the GOLDEN TICKET in your Christmas card...mailing today!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 5:54 pm

HolidayTree Coming home tomorrow...lots of memories of some very fun people that are now friends... AMSTERDAM is a beautiful city full of water canals and it is A MUST SEE. Prepare for a grand time on your river cruise as you sail from Budapest to Amsterdam. Your July 2009 group river cruise will be a chance of a life time to sail with Cruise Freek folks. You will come home close friends! good night from Amsterdam.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
Back to top Go down
darlene
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

Number of posts : 135
Registration date : 2008-11-10

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 20, 2008 9:19 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
darlene wrote:

Stand by your mailbox...you may get the GOLDEN TICKET in your Christmas card...mailing today!

i hope its the golden ticket with chocolate, but its not the one that your going on.
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 21, 2008 5:00 pm

I wish it was, darlene...I wish it was.

Lona...I get more excited by the day. Thanks for all your reports. Safe travels home, and happy holidays!

Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 22, 2008 7:23 pm

Murph...
I ordered that River Cruise book. Should be here by Christmas...with any luck.

Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2007-09-20

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 6:57 pm

We have been on a 7-day Danube River cruise from Budapest to Nuremberg. We then took a bus into Prague. We went last year for the Christmas markets. Simply great. This is an amazing way to see Europe! You get up close to all the little towns and get to spend quality time in each port. You are usually right in the center of town when you arrive so no need to take long bus rides from a distant industrial port. (Except for Vienna which is a hike to the center of town, we took a cab.) If you are debating this cruise, go for it. The boats are much smaller than your sea-going cruise ships, but the ships are very comfortable, modern, clean, calm, spacious and you are so close to everything on shore. I can't wait to go back!
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 7:09 pm

Phillip, I just answered your email - very, very interesting proposition! Certainly one I didn't even think about - I left details for you in the email and the minute I can get more info, I'll let you know. I just might join you! Tina
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 10:22 pm

Alright...what is going on???

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:08 pm

Feeling in the dark Pete??? Shocked I'm sure we'll hear all about it if we're supposed to know! Wazzzup
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:24 pm

OK, here's the answer to the mystery folks. I had mentioned to Tina earlier the fact that the QM2 sails from NYC on the 6th following the 4th of July sailing (which I will be on) and arrives in Southampton on the 12th, 7 days before the start of the River Cruise (which I am also on). So we were simply discussing the idea of sailing over instead of flying and that way having some extra time in Europe pre-river cruise. It's a terrific option for those who hate transatliantic flights from the west coast. Give me a sailing any day over a flight!
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:28 pm

Aw, now I'm REALLY jealous! I can't wait to retire so I could do something like that!

I'm dreading this flight... my only hope is that I can at least get on the one non-stop flight from Amsterdam... ALL flights to Budapest have connections and none with very good connecting times. We'll see what we can put together when the time comes to work on flights...
Back to top Go down
VoyagerOne
Deck Hand
Deck Hand
VoyagerOne

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 29, 2008 11:54 pm

There are some pretty good flights on Lufthansa. Chicago to Munich and then a connection on to Budapest. The time in the air port is only about 2h 30 min. Not horrible. But much better than being stressed with a 30 min lay over. That's just too stressful.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jan 11, 2009 5:10 pm

Hey folks! If you are planning to be in Budapest a day or two before hand, you might want to check out the Hilton hotels there. Both are offering some fabulous deals if you book and pay in full before Jan 31...
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 am

Next week (Feb 7) I leave for a one-week Southern Caribbean cruise on the AOS. I think Pete's gone at the same time. BUT when we get back folks, I'm all for chatting up this trip! Full speed ahead! I'm excited!

Last edited by Murphy on Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 12:24 pm

I'm flying out that day too Murph...I had better go find a suitcase soon...

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 4:15 pm

Tomorrow.... I'm packing tomorrow! Suitcase has been sitting in the extra bedroom for a week, but I never got around to setting things out last weekend!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jan 30, 2009 4:56 pm

RIVER CRUISERS!

Here is a really nice travel log of a Viking River Grand European Tour that someone has posted. There is a great description, and photos of the journey.

Here is the link: Budapest to Amsterdam on Viking River Cruises

There are about 10 pages...enjoy!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

River Cruise 2009
Page 3 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Freek Group Cruises :: 2009 Group Cruises :: Viking Legend River Cruise - 14 Nights - July 19, 2009-
Jump to: