Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board

Cruise message boards with community and cruise line topics. New and old cruisers welcome. Travel Agents Are Always Welcome. We feature LIVE CHAT!

Free Cruise Quotes

HomePortalGalleryRegisterLog in

River Cruise 2009

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Murphy
Resident Expert & Charter Member

Number of posts : 1644
Registration date : 2007-08-08

River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:52 pm

OK, now tell me about the beds... I'm 5"11 and DH is 6"3. If I am reading the Viking River website correctly the beds are 5.56 ft long!!!!!!! Is that right? I guess only short people sail the river!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 9:58 pm

Hi, Murphy (Susan)
Maybe you are just supposed to "curl up". lol! I'll check to see if they have bed extensions for the beds on board for you.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:17 pm

Thanks LonaLee... I hope you know I'm not complaining, just trying to figure it all out! This is a totally new adventure for us and I'm a compulsive planner, so you'll probably get sick of me asking excessive questions!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 01, 2008 10:54 pm

I'm told there are no extensions....BUT they are going to double check with their superiors so standby... the beds are 79" long.... get out that calculator you may not have to curl...
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Dec 02, 2008 10:14 pm

Thanks, that sounds better! Smile I think their website is out dated on a few things... Good to know you are there to get the real scoop!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 1:36 am

Murphy,
When you get a chance do fill out the reservation form for the River Cruise. WHAT A WINNER YOU ARE! This is such a great opportunity! Don't hesitate to call and chat with me about it. River Cruises are one of my favorite things to talk about! :phone:
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 11:37 am

Lona Lee, where do I find the reservation form? I didn't get anything emailed to me and I don't see a form on this site anywhere, nor on the River Cruise promo site....
Back to top Go down
Admin
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 1132
Registration date : 2007-08-05

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 12:11 pm

Susan - I forgot to make one! Embarassed I'll be doing that today and will send one over to you when I get it finished. Sorry about that!!
Back to top Go down
https://cruisefreekforums.forumotion.com
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Dec 03, 2008 4:05 pm

No worries... I'm not going anywhere... YET! Smile
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

Number of posts : 2004
Registration date : 2008-05-30

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 12:33 pm

Did any of you watch the DVD from Viking River included with the brochure?
WOW! This is really some cruise! And...on a brand new ship!

River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 CruiseAnimationPete
Back to top Go down
http://cruise-aritaville.blogspot.com/
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:33 pm

NDJollyMon wrote:
Did any of you watch the DVD from Viking River included with the brochure?
WOW! This is really some cruise! And...on a brand new ship!
Mine came in the mail today... haven't watch it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 05, 2008 11:44 pm

Susan...me thinks you are going to like what you see!

Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Here's a question:

Free Internet?
Does that mean bring a netbook/notebook and sign on free?

Anyone know if there are decent connections/service?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:44 pm

There is a strong signal once in a while but the reception is sparce and sometimes gets frustrating when trying to get a clear signal all along the river.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 06, 2008 7:46 pm

Everyone pass the word to the friends that are going with you on this River Boat cruise that they may wish to pay in full this coming week to get the best price.
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:24 am

I watched the Viking DVD last night. It definitely boosted my enthusiasm for this trip! I wish our ship was on it, but it gave a good overview of what to expect.

LonaLee, I believe you've done a few river cruises before, correct? Can you tell us how scenic the cruise portion is? I love to take pictures and I'm trying to debate how many photo ops I'll miss if we don't upgrade to one of the cabins that has a window that opens where I could take pictures from our cabin if something "floated by".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 6:15 pm

VERY SCENIC... The scenery is the best part of this voyage with the castles, vineyards and river life. I'm probably the worst one to ask because I rarely want to go on a cruise without "my balcony" ..I must have my outside fresh air! It is not necessarily to take pictures but just to be able to smell the fresh air, feel the temperature and enjoy the outside as I'm getting ready for the day as well as before going to bed.

BUT you probably noticed on the DVD the beautiful scenery, that is what it is like. You can always go uptop and be outside if you don't want to upgrade.

I have been on this same river boat cruise between Budapest and Amsterdam as well as a 7 night in southern France on a river boat. In fact my husband and I are headed out this coming Saturday for a river boat cruise between Trier, Germany and Amsterdam to experience "Christmas Wonderland on the River" . I'm expecting to see Christmas lights along the river as we sail for 7 nights. Being from PHOENIX though I'm expecting I need to go out and buy some "long Johns" to keep warm. santa
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 8:09 pm

No window? I thought the cabins were all outside? Do they all not open?
Do you already know of our cabin catagory?

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:03 pm

We've won the lowest cabin category available, which have windows like on an ocean cruise... you can see out them, but they don't open. The cabins on deck 2 and 3 have what they call French balconies, which basically means the windows open, but there isn't really any balcony to step out on. We have the option to upgrade at our own expense... that's what I'm evaluating now.

I just noticed you are on a cruise that leaves on 2-8-09, so am I! But I'm on the Adventure of the Seas. What ports do you hit?
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Dec 07, 2008 10:23 pm

When I read lowest available...I figured it meant lowest that wasn't sold out. Not right? I couldn't figure out what the CS catagory was. I couldn't figure out what the heck was the E with two different beds either. What's that all about? I guess we won't know what the upgrades will cost until we know what catagory we are assigned? Any clue?

Let's see if I can remember...
Leaving FLL:

Antigua
St. Thomas
Dominica
St. Kitts
Barbados
Princess Cays

The two in bold are the only new ports for us.

Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 10:06 am

Well, there isn't any chance we will meet up in Feb, the only overlap island is St. Thomas, which is our last port. Sad

The CS is a Single Occupancy cabin only. Cat E is most likely our cabin. LonaLee checked on the beds for me and we should have "normal" beds in all categories. The Viking website is not accurate with regards to the Legend since it is not really sailing yet. LonaLee quoted me a tentative price of $940 per person to upgrade to a Cat C, which would give you the French Balcony. It's tempting, but I may use my $$$ to upgrade to Biz Class Air instead...
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 1:08 pm

Thanks Susan.
Do you know the upgrade fee for Business Class? Sure is a long flight.
I saw the bed sizes on that website...and hoped they were wrong. I would have to sleep on deck in a chaise!

I'm really excited for this cruise. We have never been to Europe, and my mother's side of the family was German. I took German for a couple semsters in high school...and had a German friend growing up. He was a foreign exchange student, and was always giving us German candy. Needless to say...I'm looking forward to the whole experience.

Being a career Firefighter, when we travel I always make time to visit the local fire stations at ports. I love to see how our brothers/sisters from other countries or cities take care of business. I will make time to do this if I can in each country we visit. Language may be a small barrier, however. Perhaps I can study up and utter a few sentences that actually make sense.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Dec 08, 2008 2:57 pm

Yes, The beds are 79" long, the lower deck windows do not open as Susan mentioned, and they do have windows in all cabins. The internet is free and yes do bring your computer if you like, the signal will be fine in the cities but traveling at night may be on and off. You were right there are single cabins and each double occupancy room has two singles that can be moved together to form one. Yes, you will be booked in the lowest available and we do have category E in our allotment so that will be the window one you will be booked in.

Pete, finding the firefighters in each country will be very interesting. Everytime you stop I can see the Quest to find the nearest station. You will have the whole boat helping you find them!
Back to top Go down
Murphy

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 9:53 am

LonaLee, I just read on another thread that you were on the "river" now! I hope you come back and tell us all about it, even though it's a different itinerary. I've been kind of quiet on this thread because I finally got the courage to tell my boss about this trip and his immediate response was NO he would not let me go!!! The summer is our busy season and he didn't want me gone for 2 weeks, but I think I've convinced him to let me go... with a little bribery... I may have to give him the Valentine's Day Solstice cruise! Well, we'll see about that, but at least I think I'll be able to manage the River Cruise.

I've been doing lots of research... I bought a book on Budapest and one on European River cruises. My husband's been in the hospital the last few days, so I've had lots of time to read! Since I didn't have a clue about River Cruises before this trip, I was kind of apprehensive about whether we'd like it, but the more I read, the more excited I get! Please come back with some personal exploits to share with us!
Back to top Go down
NDJollyMon
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
NDJollyMon

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 18, 2008 2:38 pm

Hi Susan...I bought some books too. Mostly, Germany.
Where did you find the river cruise book??? Is it informative? Title?

I get excited when I see a post on this thread! I can't wait! I'm getting some info from a previous river cruiser. I'll send you our dialog. She answered lots of questions for me.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: River Cruise 2009   River Cruise 2009 - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

River Cruise 2009
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Cruise Freek Forums Cruise Message Board :: Cruise Freek Group Cruises :: 2009 Group Cruises :: Viking Legend River Cruise - 14 Nights - July 19, 2009-
Jump to: